I bought the factory navigation system, can I install it it my 04 Maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
ALANLLJ1220

I have a 2004 Maxima with the bose system but no navigation. I found the entire navigation system on ebay in mint condition. It came from another 2004 Maxima. Does anyone know whether or not I can install it in my Max? The wiring seems to be the same and I do not want to go aftermarket because I don't care for the way it looks.

jsmithsole
Car: 6th Gen maxima

ALANLLJ1220 wrote:I have a 2004 Maxima with the bose system but no navigation. I found the entire navigation system on ebay in mint condition. It came from another 2004 Maxima. Does anyone know whether or not I can install it in my Max? The wiring seems to be the same and I do not want to go aftermarket because I don't care for the way it looks.
I've been told that it's a pretty involved process, the 6th gens with OEM navi have a different windshields than non-nav versions, I assume for an attenna or something. I've also heard there's sensors that need to be installed etc..The dealer charges $8000 to install NAV on a non NAV car, I know dealers are overpriced but at that price, that should tell you something.Good luck, and as far as aftermarket not looking good, what aspects don't you like? Here's a pic of my setup:

Kikunga
Car: Nissan Maxima

hey jsmithsole,

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima SL and I saw your Navigation System setup and I'm in love with it. Can I please get some information regarding how it was installed? Thanks

jsmithsole

Kikunga wrote:hey jsmithsole,

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima SL and I saw your Navigation System setup and I'm in love with it. Can I please get some information regarding how it was installed? Thanks
It's a pretty standard install, once you get the single din kit, cut it to double size and the rest in all straight forward. Anything specific you need to know?Oh and thanks!!

Kikunga

Thank you for the prompt response, now I just need some anwers to a few specific questions so I can get started on this endevor. From looking at the picture, I'm assuming your Navigation head unit is the Pioneer Avic D3 with the rear view camera and the iPod Audio/Video Direct Control capability? How were you able to display your rear view camera from the original OEM screen and exactly, what component (brand) is below your navigation head unit and how did you get it to display the imformation that's suppose to be displayed from the OEM screen? And last question, did you do the installation or was it professional done? Take care

Kikunga

Oh, and what type of single din kit is it? Did you cut it? And do you know where I can get it from? Thanks

jsmithsole

Kikunga wrote:Thank you for the prompt response, now I just need some anwers to a few specific questions so I can get started on this endevor. From looking at the picture, I'm assuming your Navigation head unit is the Pioneer Avic D3 with the rear view camera and the iPod Audio/Video Direct Control capability? How were you able to display your rear view camera from the original OEM screen and exactly, what component (brand) is below your navigation head unit and how did you get it to display the imformation that's suppose to be displayed from the OEM screen? And last question, did you do the installation or was it professional done? Take care
Yes, D3 with all listedI moved the oem screen to the bottom and replaced it with a 7" tft screenThe install was a mix of professionally done personal touches. I had the main unit installed but I moved the screens around myself...

Hope this helps!!

Kikunga

Thanks for the info, a couple of more questions if you don't mind, I just wanna make sure I get all the right info before I head to Car Audio shop. What brand or manufacture is the single din kit and what brand is the 7" tft screen? Is the 7" tft screen used just for the rear view camera? Last questions, I promise, I've been looking for the right set up for a navigation system and yours is the best I've found thus far. Take care

jsmithsole

Kikunga wrote:Thanks for the info, a couple of more questions if you don't mind, I just wanna make sure I get all the right info before I head to Car Audio shop. What brand or manufacture is the single din kit and what brand is the 7" tft screen? Is the 7" tft screen used just for the rear view camera? Last questions, I promise, I've been looking for the right set up for a navigation system and yours is the best I've found thus far. Take care
I have the Metra dash kit, The screen i have is a NESA, it's good because there are no buttons on the front so it fits snug. You'll also need the PAC adapter for the steering wheel controls to still work...Yeah the D3 is a great unit!!

Good luck!

Kikunga

Thanks.. That helped out tremendously. I'll keep you posted. Take care

Kikunga

Here's what I have purchased thus far, I haven't purchased the 7" monitor yet because I'm thinking about saving the rear view camera for whenever I hook up the same system in my wife's Yukon for Mother's Day. Below is a link to the Metra ISO Din Head Unit Dash that I purchased, based on looking at your picture, I'm not sure if I purchased the right one, if you could let me know, I would greatly appreciate.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E...e=asn

Pioneer In Dash Navigation (AVIC-D3)iPod Direct Control Cable (CD-1200)Universal Rear-View Camera (ND-BC2)Metra 2004-2006 ISO Din Head Unit Provision With Pocket (99-7404)Steering Wheel Control Interface For Pioneer/Sony (PAC SWI-PS)

Thank you for all of your help and please let me know if I’m missing anything.

jsmithsole

Looks all good, and yes that's the only kit made for the 6th gen. You have to cut the upper pocket out for the double DIN, and remove the lower door if you are moving the screen down...

Post pics when you are done!!

Kikunga

If I decide not to move the screen to the bottom, what are my other options? Can I move the factory to the middle and Avic-D3 to the top slot? Do you have any other suggestions if I decide not to use the rear view camera? And also, in this whole process, is it possible to keep the 6 disc cd player or is that not possible? Thanks

jsmithsole

Kikunga wrote:If I decide not to move the screen to the bottom, what are my other options? Can I move the factory to the middle and Avic-D3 to the top slot? Do you have any other suggestions if I decide not to use the rear view camera? And also, in this whole process, is it possible to keep the 6 disc cd player or is that not possible? Thanks
You can leave the stock screen up top and the rear view will come on the D3 when you reverse. The D3 will not fit up there, there's a cross support bar that's in the way. And the 6cd has to come out. Seriously though if you have your IPOD filled up you won't even miss the changer, I have all my music and movies on the IPOD. I don't even remember the last time I used the disc player which is good because the navi disc has to come out to do so...

Kikunga

Hummm, is it just me or am I hullicianating, I could swear that Metra din dash kit is a shade darker than I would like, a little bit darker than the rest of the dash covering. I went to Car Toys to get a quote on the installation, dude quoted me like $2,000 for the whole install, I was like wow, didn't realize they charged that much. I guess on to the next audio places for some more installation quotes. Oh and by the way, how were you able to get such a precise cut on your din dash? Take care

jsmithsole

Kikunga wrote:Hummm, is it just me or am I hullicianating, I could swear that Metra din dash kit is a shade darker than I would like, a little bit darker than the rest of the dash covering. I went to Car Toys to get a quote on the installation, dude quoted me like $2,000 for the whole install, I was like wow, didn't realize they charged that much. I guess on to the next audio places for some more installation quotes. Oh and by the way, how were you able to get such a precise cut on your din dash? Take care
Well since you have an 04 the match is almost perfect. The 05's and up went to a brushed look but the metra stayed smooth like ours. $2000 WTF does that include the head unit and all parts as well? The screen move is really easy, I did that part myself. I had my HU installed for $150...

As for the clean cut, the dremel is your friend...

Kikunga

Well, actually my Maxima is a 2005 and the Din Dash is sort of not a very good match. The Din Dash I purcahsed is more of a darkish grayish color, one would definetly be able to tell the difference so I don't know what to do about that. We'll, the $2,000 price quote was just for the installation, they talked about how they would have to extend the wires to bring the factory screen down and blah blah blah blah. The guy wasn't really listening to me, he had his own pre conceived ideas driven by the propedaracy of knowledge he thinks he has about car audio. Anyway, I'll go check some more places, any other ideas about the Din Dash? Thanks

Kikunga

Anyhow, I went to a different installer today and the installation price got much cheaper but now here's the conondrum. So, I would assume your addidtional 7" inch monitor is used solely for your rear view camera and you have the GEX-P920M for the XM satellite radio. The installer told me whenever I hook up the Avic-D3, I will lose all audio sound to my factory screen including my factory XM satellite radio because there's only one audio output and that audio output would be used by the Avic-D3. So I have given up on the additonal 7" inch screen and the rear view camera option and will just go with the installation of the Avic-D3. And also, he said the Avic-D3 needs to be programmed to play DVD's, is this so? Man, my head is spinning, I kind of think this install is simplier than what these installers are making it out to be. So is your rear view camera on while you're driving or just when you're in reverse? I'm taking my car in Monday to get an estimation on how much it's gonna cost. Thanks for all the advice, my wife thinks I'm insane. Take care

jsmithsole

Kikunga wrote:Anyhow, I went to a different installer today and the installation price got much cheaper but now here's the conondrum. So, I would assume your addidtional 7" inch monitor is used solely for your rear view camera and you have the GEX-P920M for the XM satellite radio. The installer told me whenever I hook up the Avic-D3, I will lose all audio sound to my factory screen including my factory XM satellite radio because there's only one audio output and that audio output would be used by the Avic-D3. So I have given up on the additonal 7" inch screen and the rear view camera option and will just go with the installation of the Avic-D3. And also, he said the Avic-D3 needs to be programmed to play DVD's, is this so? Man, my head is spinning, I kind of think this install is simplier than what these installers are making it out to be. So is your rear view camera on while you're driving or just when you're in reverse? I'm taking my car in Monday to get an estimation on how much it's gonna cost. Thanks for all the advice, my wife thinks I'm insane. Take care
Yes, the stock system comes out completely, you have to remove the changer/tape deck to fit the D3 anyways this is the main "brain" of the stock system. The 7" screen up top plays DVD's (same as the headrest monitors) and I have an RCA switch hooked up so the rear view shows with the flick of a switch (also it shows on the D3 in reverse) Otherwise with the D3 you get a blue screen (due to no dual zone) Prior I had an N2 and you could display the NAVI up there which was great but when I got the D3 I never checked to see as I assumed they wouldn't remove this feature (pretty much the only drawback thus far) So yes I have the GEX-P920M for XM, the info screen still works for the climate control and mileage etc...just no stereo info shows. And you don't have to extend the wire it does reach...

The problem with our cars is that not many people/installers have messed with it so they have no idea what they are talking about...

And don't worry my wife thinks the same!!

Kikunga

Oh, you just threw a kink in the armor, I had no idea you had headrest monitors in your car, man, you really dressed up the interior of your car. I was gonna ask, why not just watch the DVD movies from the D3 instead of installing the aditional 7" inch screen but I had no idea you had headrest monitors. So I guess if I wanted to, I could play the DVD's on the top screen, it's nice to know that, I just thought that screen was solely for your rear view camera that just stayed on the whole time while you drove, which I thought was comical but I didn't wanna tell you, LOL. The installer said working on the Nissan's and Infiniti's was like working on a BMW, this guy is suppose to be one of the best car audio guys in Houston, humm, I guess we'll see if I decide to let him do the work. Oh, do you actually need to program the D3 with a specialized CD to play DVD's on the D3, that's what he said. Thanks

jsmithsole

Kikunga wrote:Oh, you just threw a kink in the armor, I had no idea you had headrest monitors in your car, man, you really dressed up the interior of your car. I was gonna ask, why not just watch the DVD movies from the D3 instead of installing the aditional 7" inch screen but I had no idea you had headrest monitors. So I guess if I wanted to, I could play the DVD's on the top screen, it's nice to know that, I just thought that screen was solely for your rear view camera that just stayed on the whole time while you drove, which I thought was comical but I didn't wanna tell you, LOL. The installer said working on the Nissan's and Infiniti's was like working on a BMW, this guy is suppose to be one of the best car audio guys in Houston, humm, I guess we'll see if I decide to let him do the work. Oh, do you actually need to program the D3 with a specialized CD to play DVD's on the D3, that's what he said. Thanks
Nope, I have no idea what he is talking about, makes no sense. And i wouldn't go as far as BMW, I've heard some horror stories about that "german engineering"!!

And as for the screen you nailed but like I said when I had the N2 it would show the NAVI screen and it was perfect. So now I do run the rear view most of the time or tune it off so it's not just a blue screen.

Another great site to check is http://www.avic411.com, everything you need to know about these head units...

Kikunga

I would assume you got a perfect match on your Metra Din Dash Kit, mine is significantly off and I'm gonna get it pianted, that's my bump on the road right now, once I get that problem allivated, I'm gonna move on with the installation. I would order another one but I'm frighten I might get another one of the same, so I'll save myself the headache and take the easy route. And what's up on the dealer making it so tough to make the transition to an aftermarket setup, like I'm gonna buy their inflated *** products. Take care

jsmithsole

Kikunga wrote:I would assume you got a perfect match on your Metra Din Dash Kit, mine is significantly off and I'm gonna get it pianted, that's my bump on the road right now, once I get that problem allivated, I'm gonna move on with the installation. I would order another one but I'm frighten I might get another one of the same, so I'll save myself the headache and take the easy route. And what's up on the dealer making it so tough to make the transition to an aftermarket setup, like I'm gonna buy their inflated *** products. Take care
Yeah like I said Metra only made the 04 version, I'd paint it, I just painted my whole dash blk, looks way better (mine was getting all scratched anyways)

Kikunga

Dang, the whole dashboard or just that one area surrounding the radio and AC Control? Man, if it's the whole dashboard, I'm too frighten to do that. For right now, I'll just do the Dash Kit and the piece that surrounds the AC control. The pictures were unavilable on the links you included on the last response but from the picture below, it looks really good. I like my Biege/Tan Dash board, kinda goes well with the rest of the interior, my leather seats are Biege/Tan as well so I can't imagine how it would look with a different color. I've been meaning to ask you, how did your factory screen at the bottom turn blue instead of that ugly fluscent orange that just drives me crazy, out of all the colors, they choose fluscent orange!! Take care

Kikunga

Do I need the PAC SWI-PS and the PAC OS-2 as well? Thanks

jsmithsole

Kikunga wrote:Do I need the PAC SWI-PS and the PAC OS-2 as well? Thanks
The PAC SWI-PS will get you your steering wheel controls but the PAC OS-2 is for an OnStar Interface which is on Gm vehicles...

lanceg
Car: 2004 Nissan Maxima

I just happen to see what you have done to ur max, after viewing what i saw you gave me hope with mine. I also have a 04 max and i wanted to do the D3 with Nav. I ordered a single din face plate to cut to fit. But what did you do to kept the unit in place? and i like the lighting you have done to the dash, how did you do that? where did you order the lights from? what kind are they? I know i have alot of question sorry cant help it you got me excited about getting my maxmia right. Just one more thing where did you order your body kit from.

jsmithsole

lanceg wrote:I just happen to see what you have done to ur max, after viewing what i saw you gave me hope with mine. I also have a 04 max and i wanted to do the D3 with Nav. I ordered a single din face plate to cut to fit. But what did you do to kept the unit in place? and i like the lighting you have done to the dash, how did you do that? where did you order the lights from? what kind are they? I know i have alot of question sorry cant help it you got me excited about getting my maxmia right. Just one more thing where did you order your body kit from.
Thanks man, there's always hope even for the 6th gen!! The stock brackets hold the HU in place.I had a guy change them all out, there's hundreds of tiny LED's that need to be soldered in one by one, not sure what bulb they are but they are tiny.The bumper is from http://www.bodykits.org (originally the redlinemax bumper)Sides are stock and the rear is an '07 bumper....

Hope this helps!

Tomsoxfan
Car: 2005 nissan maxima

Hi, Did you get your spoiler from bodykits.org also ?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

It's a stock '07-'08 spoiler.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”