I believe my friend got Phished... any help?

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

ok, so my gf's cousin's BF actually purchased those fake Antispyware and Antivirus programs that pop up out of no where from surfing one of those unprotected sites (probably pr0nz).

Anyways, I tried messing with his pc... *I tried running that malicious removal tool that you can get from the Microsoft site: nada, program instantly gets killed* I tried installing my personal copy of McAfee Enterprise Edition: it installs, but won't allow it to update or scan. fail* I tried Superantispyware: it kills it when it scans.

I've read tutorials on how to remove them, but they're long as hell and I'm impatient. I think I'd rather just reinstall the OS, the guy barely has crap on his HD, probably school files, but thats about it... but that alone doesn't erase the fact that they have his credit card info.

What would you guys recommend the next step should be so that his identity and money doesn't get jack (or should I say, more jacked in regards to the $$$)?

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Format the HD.

Reinstall the OS.

Contact all creditors and have them reissue new account numbers/cards.

The longer he waits, the less protection he has from fraud.

Also, get him to give you $30 and get Symantec NIS or the like.

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

My Bosses wife did the same thing. Download malwarebytes onto a flash drive, and then install on his PC. It will find all that crap.

Take SBD's advice on the credit card.

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

Reboot in safemode by holding F8 at startup.

If that fails then: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

lrb_2000
Car: '91 KA-T hatch

Yep, that's where i'd start. Safe mode, then run malwarebytes.. make sure it's up to date.. I have no idea what it does when someone actually buys that crap though, so maybe it's a bit harder than that to get rid of.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”