I am still alive, and might be deciding to sell

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
tyrannix
Car: go big or go home

First off, Hi guys, Ryan, Mike, Are Dee and d!ck still around?

Anyway, I live in Texas now and haven't worked on my car in years. I have moved it and all my parts with me though, except for the best stuff lost in a tragic storage facility mishap with my ex-wife (including those sweet magnesium valve covers... gone).

Being in Texas and a civilian for a while now, I am spending a lot of time in very rural areas and life priorities have changed, so all of that together means that the car that I am not going to be working on anytime in the near future, and all the parts are taking up space in my workshop that I'm not sure I can justify anymore. I am not in a hurry to sell, or positive that I will yet, still doing the math and solidifying options to make the decision.

What I'm really asking here is a guess at what a fair price this list of stuff would go for these days, I have been out of fast cars so long that I don't even know anymore.

I don't remember if I ever made a project page on NICO, this is a cardomain that I did years ago:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2088003/1 ... san-silvia

I may get to taking some pictures in the next week or so, but its a rust-free 89 S13 with a clean Massachusetts title and I want to say 90k original miles. All removable body panels have been replaced with the OEM midnight purple colored silvia panels from the Okinawa car. The doors are not - I had purchased some carbon fiber doors... those are gone now too, but the door handles, match the trunk (with silvia emblem) lock, and I have the glovebox and whole steering column from the Oki car, so that can be swapped in to have the whole car on a single key.

I don't want to list everything that was lost in that storage unit, the full list would bring a tear to your eye. Also, it isn't pertinent to the value of this list of stuff.

This car has been in a garage or storage unit since 2006, transported by trailer.

Freshly built (8? years ago) CA18DET with all block and head machining done by Douglas machine in Nevada, near Carson, I want to say, it's been a while.

That cardomain site is difficult to navigate, but I found the engine build stuff (honestly, I had forgotten most of what I did)
Main:
-Arp Head studs
-Tomei 1.5mm metal head gasket (lower compression to 8.2:1)
-Nismo motor mounts
Valve train:
-HKS cams intake 256/8.5 , exhaust 256/8.53
-HKS adjustable cam cogs
Block:
-Clevite 77 Bearings
-Hastings piston rings
-Crank pulley modded with 36-1 wheel for Megasquirt_ EDIS-4
-entire rotating assembly balanced (including crank pullies and flywheel)

The engine was assembled and torqued to spec with proper grease used on the bearings during install

That is the built engine, I have a spare block with crank, and at least two extra heads - one of which is a 4 port (with matching plenum)

Original CA ECU, original wiring harness restrung to hide the wires as much as possible, *and* a full megasquirt setup, with the toothed gear on the crank

Two transmissions, one original CA S13, and the KA one that I swapped a CA bellhousing onto (if I recall, they have a different 5th gear, I don't remember which had the higher ratio though)

Newly built pumpkin that has the original CA gear ratio and a used helical LSD from an S15 (not installed, the stock US pumpin is on it still) build done by a dedicated shop in Nevada, I may be able to find the receipt to get the name of the shop.

Many clutches and pressure plates, Lightweight flywheel (I think it's a Jun), lightweight 1 piece propeller shaft, tein coilovers, front and rear tower bars, fender stiffening bars (connects the door hinge bolts to a point mid fender, and were a pain to install)

A full set of brakes from a Z and a set of Advan wheels with decent rubber for when the brakes are installed (5 lug)

A few extra turbos of unknown quality - I think one was from a GTIR. The installed turbo was the one from Okinawa, and it was not stock, unknown but I want to say it had full boost before 3k

HKS BOV

Big aftermarket ebay FMIC (from almost a decade ago)

A few extra fuel pumps, at least one is from a Z, possibly installed already

Momo, and some other signature edition steering wheels, along with a steering wheel from a R32, also alacantra seats from a R32 GTR (not installed)
Quick detach steering wheel spacer ( I think I never got the horn to work correctly with it though)

The automatic seatbelts have already been removed, I still have all the parts for the automatic and manual seatbelts, just haven't installed yet.

Full decent condition brown interior - Exceptions: the dash was painted black with vinyl paint, possibly the door panels as well.

Its a HUD dash

Full OEM digital climate control setup (not installed)

A bunch of aftermarket gauges, I think some are digital

Full polyurethane body/subframe bushing replacement kit (uninstalled) I want to say there are also some metal ones (different kit, not all the bushings)

Okinawa body kit (visible on cardomain pictures) with the 3 slot grille. There front bumper was damaged a few times, but repaired. You can't tell from the outside, but can if you take it off and look inside.

Extra set of front corner lights, clear corners

Extra set of tail light units, painted red with the model paint. Full red including the backup light area. No overspray, they look good.

A whole mess of shift knobs of different shapes and weights, many brand new.

At least two extra shifters, i think they are both short-throw

FSM for euro 200SX with every page in a sheet protector in a 3 ring binder, with pullouts for wiring diagrams, along with a Chiltons or Haynes ( I forget which ) book for US 240SX.

I'll edit or add later, maybe take some pictures. This isn't a 'for sale' (yet) just asking estimates of where I should start asking if I did decide to sell. I know it's difficult without better descriptions or pictures.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

That is a massive list. I'm not even sure where to start. Are you wanting to sell the engine complete? A lot of that is big stuff and will be hard to sell unless it's local due to shipping cost. I'm headed off to get ready for bed now, but I'll give you some opinions on pricing in the AM.

biosehnsucht

Is the JUN flywheel currently installed, or amongst the loose parts?

Sideways s12
Car: 84 turbo s12

Damn so much want and no funds to buy lol. Good luck on your decision. Hope you decide to keep it but if not hopefully I'll have some funds when you come to a final decision...

tyrannix

I'm pretty sure no flywheel is installed right now - The engine is just sitting, mounted, in the engine bay, no transmission, wiring harness and hoses not connected to the body.

I'll get out there maybe this week/weekend and get a better inventory. The trick is, though, that If I do ultimately decide to sell the car, I will probably want to sell the car first in as big a package sale as I can, locally preferably, then part out the leftovers. Unless someone offered an unrealistic amount right now, I am really in no hurry.

It's kind of funny - 6 years ago, I let this car sit (just about as it is right now) because of lack of money for projects. Now it is lack of time and storage space that is limiting it, mostly time. If I can hold out another 2-3 years without selling, I might be able to get back into it.

dhen
Car: MGA w/ CA18DET

Where in TX are you? I might be interested in some of the spares.

Izento
Car: RPS13

I'd rather force you to finish your project instead of buying your cool parts, especially when I should save my own money, lol.

biosehnsucht

LOL, that's why I was asking if the flywheel is installed - wouldn't want to make you start parting out what is already put together if possible.

Liquid_Neon
Car: 2000 Toyota Echo, 1988 Pulsar NX SE Turbo

That car is so smexy. I love the s13 silvias, and hey, a massachusetts title is gold to me. I live here already, haha. I would also agree that if you can hang on to it, you should! dont sell out to us CA-vultures just yet :)

tyrannix

I'm near the Dallas airport.

I still haven't had a chance to do a solid inventory, out of town, work, and other projects eating up all of my time.

But, I do need the workshop space to work on other projects, I'm into direct injection turbodiesel 4x4s now. I have a 12 valve 5.9 Cummins ram and an isuzu trooper with a little 2.2 turbodiesel, I'm going to swap it with a JDM 2.8 I think. The fun part about that swap is no harness. It's all mechanical, including the fuel pump. Just the starter, fuel shutoff solenoid, and glow plugs (that the 2.8 doesn't really need from what I hear, probably not much in Texas anyway)

I don't have time to race anymore, and probably won't. While it has sentimental value to me, I think I need to be a big boy about this and sell it. I'm in no hurry, though.

I have a small parking space in my back yard behind the workshop that im going to roll it to and keep it covered with a tarp - the car has been garaged and covered since 2006ish. I don't mean just aprked in a garage, i mean lived there full time, only seeing the light of day to get on a trailer to be moved to a different garage... 3 or 4 times.

So, I don't check forums often, but I will get a more detailed inventory and some pictures up, and probably link in the for sale forum when I do. I wanted to give you guys first dibs.

It really is a downer for me, I've been hanging on to the idea of rebuilding the silvia since I rotated back to the states in 2005. But, I was single, not a homeowner, and didn't have anywhere near the amount of commitments or time consuming interests/hobbies, etc.

TL,DR:
Just an update, i'm alive, checking this infrequently, I decided that yes, I will sell, and update this thread with a better list with pictures.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

What's up kid? Nice to see you pop-up for a breath of fresh air. I too have been having life changing events that have caused me to temporarily put the cars on the back burner for a second or two. In my case, my daughter is going off to college, so I spent the last couple of months stomaching my "Baby-girl" to leave the nest, but she has inspired me to finish what I started and enjoy doing what I like to do, so I'll be back in full force in about a week or so.

If I were you, I would liquidate some of the extras and hang on to some of your goodies because once you're fully out of the game, it's not so easy to return, especially starting from scratch. Anywho, think about and if you truly are ready to liquidate, hit us up.

tyrannix

Hey Dee, good to see you alive too.

I still don't have any kids yet, maybe in the next couple of years. It's a huge step. I'm not sure what the etiquitte is there, do you congratulate someone when a kid leaves the house, or give the condolences on the upcoming tuition?

Well, back to cars, I flopped back. The s13 is sitting on pavement behind my house with a tarp over it, and my workshop is coming together. So it isn't in the way any more.

Once my daily driver (86 turbo diesel trooper), my truck, and my wife's daily are all squared away, and all of the house projects are done, I might be hankering for a toy project again. And who knows, a clean 89 s13 shell can only appreciate in value at this point

And by squared away, I will probably swap a JDM 4JB1 into it and up the boost a bit. My truck may end up being a build project as well. I have a 98 ram 3500 with a 12 valve 6BT. I want to get a 98 2500 (better mileage, top speed, and not a dually) but they are hard to come by in 4wd with a 5speed, so I might end up getting a newer 4 door truck and swapping a 12 valve into it.I live in Texas, you can do that here, it's great. Also Diesels and anything over 15 (I think it's 15) years old only pays $15 for safety inspection every year, no emissions. My truck passed inspection with literally no exhaust, just a downpipe. It came with aussie stacks (big honkin exhaust pipes through the bed of the truck then up behind the cab, I removed them and never replaced with anything.

However, I will do like you and some others suggested and take a hard look at parts that I don't need/want and/or have duplicates of and start to sell some of them off. I'll put them up here first because CA nerds get dibs, then 'for sale' forum and/or ebay or whatever else.

There is the lure to get a R32 now as well. Too many toys, too little time.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”