I am running a welded diff., and have some questions for LSD guys...

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
DbD

Now all of you know that a welded diff and tight turns will give you a lot of tire chatter.

Do the 2 way diffs do this as well?

Do the 1.5 ways do this?

I have been running on the welded diff for a week now, both in rain and in dry weather, and I extremely surprised as to the amount of grip I actually have. Most of you guys tell all these horror stories about then being so dangerous and whatnot, and I just haven't any problems yet.

The hardest thing about driving with it is keeping a steady foot when making tight turns under acceleration. Since the inside tire is hopping a little is makes you foot a little jumpy.

I would really love to drive a car with a 1.5/2 way LSD just to see what it feels like.

I livein Jax, Fl if anyone wants to trade cars for a few hours and drive around with me let me know,Zac

240SicknessX
Car: 96 240 SE

instead of tire chatter with the welded diff, in a 2 way you get the noises of the clutches inside chattering as it slips for slower parking lot turns, and i dont think 1.5 way clutch type has much if any of these noises. just partial locking on decel

Spec-R

Finaly, another person on nico has a welded diff , ive had min for over 6 months now, and its been fine. the guy from importintelligence had a 2 way lsd, i think a nismo, and he said that he gets wheel hop on left turns ,and usually noises. ohh and it doesnt like to back up either.

midnightsliding

i have had a welded diff for almost a year now, no complatns , i get a lil understree but thats about it, u get used to it after a while and adjust to it.

Spec-R

on a side note, where did you guys get your welded diff from? did you weld it yourself or but it?

because bought mine for 209 shipped with the whole pumpkin. its from a guy named Luke from NCDA (cali). he call is the Locd diff Ver3, its like his third perfection of it.

drftnassmofo
Car: 84 s12 ca18et-TRADED
85 s12 ca18et-SOLD
92 fastback-SOLD
91 fastback-SOLD
90 coupe KADE swap-SOLD
06 Infiniti M45

okay i know im bout to get ripped on but wtf is a welded diff.?? and how would it actually help the clutching???

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

welded diff= welded differential... so instead of the whole spider gear thing so that both tires can rotate at a speed slightly different from the other in order to follow the correct path around a turn(each wheels path being a different radius and thus a different distance), the tires rotate the same speed always, and on slowerturns one will be turning a different speed then it is moving, and so it skips and skids and bounces as it is forced to drag because it is not spinning fast enough.

Spec-R

in other words, is an open differential, that has the gears welded to each other inside. both wheels, same speed, all times.

240SicknessX
Car: 96 240 SE

correct,

btw greazymule has an welded diff (i have an open diff), i rode in his car at hialeah speedway at a practise and i couldnt belive how effortlessly the rear end lost tracksion. its probably easier to understeer with a welded diff or 2-way, but his falken azenis held the ground pretty well.

midnightsliding

i have its on my s-13 and understerr is comon, and i welded it my self, mine is fully locked, their is aonther way to weld it and it gives a lil bit but is more likly to brake or so said the guy who helped me( offroader(4x4) guy)

tubakins
Car: 89 240sx fastback

you just welded your stock open diff?

How do you do it

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”