I am ignorant. The new Nissan Kick...

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

...uses the same HR16DE engine as my Versa, yet it puts out 16 more horses and pulls more torque. How does that work? If they can get that tiny engine to do that, why don't they do it for the Versa?? 125 HP from a Versa would certainly make that little car more interesting, dontcha think?

Edify me, please. Quite obviously, I know nothing.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

It's because the HR16DE engine in the Kick may not be the same engine in the Versa. I recall a similar discussion from a few years ago. IIRC, it has something to do with Nissan being lazy and not noting changes in engine design/improvements.

A good example is the 2.5 L QR25DE. In the 2005+ Frontier the QR25DE generates 152 hp, while in the Rogue it's 170 hp. The revised QR25DE found in the 2007+ Sentra, Altima, Rogue, etc. has a number of improvements over the older QR25DE. These include:
  • A simpler, larger diameter single path resin intake manifold replaced the old dual path design. (Note: California emissions models do have a swirl control valve located in the intake)
  • Revised piston crown shape to support a higher compression ratio of 9.6:1.(10.5:1 in Sentra SE-R Spec V.)
  • The balancer system has been moved back slightly from the crank pulley to a more centric location in the block.
  • Revised cam shaft profile.
  • Reinforced connecting rods.
  • Reduced friction likely through Nissan's extensive use of coatings on pistons, journal bearings, etc.
  • Additional engine mount on the top of the motor, pulley side.
  • Higher rev limit and improved power output.
Why the revised QR25DE isn't called QR25DE 2.0 or some such is anybody's guess.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Rogue One wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:54 am
Why the revised QR25DE isn't called QR25DE 2.0 or some such is anybody's guess.
One of modern Nissan's awful trends. There have been a lot of engines with the VQ designation that had very little to do with each-other aside from bore-spacing and basic block layout. There's the original FWD VQ30DE, which spawned the FWD VQ35DE that's basically still in use today in the same exact form as 2002. The RWD VQ35DE and VQ40DE were closely-related to the FWD VQs, but with a different block casting with tweaks for more longitudinally-suited dipstick and accessory arrangements (The VG30E used the same block in both arrangements, with either unused dipstick location plugged, for instance). Then there was the VQ35HR, and the VQ37VHR which have about as much in common with the VQ as they do with the VG or the VR. They're so heavily evolved from the original VQ that there's really nothing about them aside from the bore spacing and most basic block layout that's the same.

Back in the 90s, Nissan heavily redesigned the VG30DE to fit in the Maxima's tiny enginebay, and gave it a whole new engine designation (VE30DE). These days, they make far more significant changes to the VQ and just keep calling it the same thing.

The QR has always been a turd, and will always be a turd, though. It's a little more refined today, and has less hunger for oil and fasteners, but it's coarse, sounds AWFUL, and struggles to make usable power despite its displacement and torque output.

I also wonder exactly how much the VR30DDTT has in common with the VR38DETT, and how much it's just marketing wanting to claim certain Infinitis are related to the GT-R.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

MinisterofDOOM wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:23 pm
The QR has always been a turd, and will always be a turd, though. It's a little more refined today, and has less hunger for oil and fasteners, but it's coarse, sounds AWFUL, and struggles to make usable power despite its displacement and torque output.

I also wonder exactly how much the VR30DDTT has in common with the VR38DETT, and how much it's just marketing wanting to claim certain Infinitis are related to the GT-R.
I agree on the QR... I have driven even the newer ones and they definitely are vastly refined over the old ones but it's such a boring and noisy engine. The 2.4L 4cyl engine in our old Kia Sorento was even a better engine by far than the QR.

The 2.5L in our Mazda CX-5 is absolutely awesome. Mazda hit it out of the park with that engine. Makes good power everywhere and somehow is even fun to hammer through the backroads. You don't feel like you have to hold it wide open to have fun at all.

I've heard the VR30 is based on the VR38 too, but it's definitely not anywhere near as durable from what i've seen so far. It's capable of making power easily thanks to the turbos, but i'm still not sold on it completely. I'll stick to my tried and true VQ37 for now.

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

Thank you, gentlemen, for taking the time to answer a neophyte question. Very kind of you.

Return to “General Chat”