Hunting Season anyone?

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
rmezz13
Car: Had 2004.5 Nissan 350z
Have 96 f250 and mommas 07 Murano

Now its fall, the leaves are changing, the deer are rubbin' and the squirrels are barkin'.... Smells like hunting season.

Share some stories fellas!

1WheelWonder
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Oct 15th starts bow season for me, I can't wait!!

Have been hog hunting this summer with no success but have got some good scouting done out of it.

rmezz13
Car: Had 2004.5 Nissan 350z
Have 96 f250 and mommas 07 Murano

Buck Fever!!!

shortmag
Car: 92 300zx n/a

hoping to make it out tomorrow for opening weekend of deer season.

going out this afternoon to get the final sight in done the .243 the g/f is borrowing to hunt with. I can't seem to get her to saddle up behind my .300 shortmag yet.

good luck to all.

SM

moyea
Car: Paddle Shifted 92 240SX SR20DET, 02 Frontier S/C, 90 240sx ITA

I know this post is somewhat old but here ya go.

Nov.4th 2008 Colorado, a day that I will always remember because of this hunt and our historic president Obama.

This picture was edited so not to offend anyone more than it might already. This animal was treated with dignity and respect from the moment of the shot to the harvesting of its meat. I whole-heartily thank this majestic animal for sacrificing its life to feed me and my family.

I was unsuccessful with the elk this year getting both a archery tag and cow tag unfilled. The elk here in Colorado have been behaving very strangely with almost no bugling and practically exclusively night feeding. Though I could still locate them, I could never close the ground to make the shot; thus, leftover deer tag to the rescue.

Having seen some fairly large bucks on my lawn all season, I was in luck because my land borders some national forests and private ranches. Almost routinely these 5 bucks and countless does would migrate through my property and uphill to a rocky outcropping not far from my house. So, I decided it was time to don my full battle rattle and harvest a deer. Normally I'm a stalker but since I have been observing this deers' patterns all season I just crouched behind some rocks with some pines to my back. The time was late, about 4pm, I figured I would be sitting awhile waiting for my quarry but before I could even start getting uncomfortable deer appeared over the saddle. At first I was concerned the distance was too far and they would graze right past me just outside my 50yrd range that is my personal limit which I'm confident at; but, the bucks eagerly moved my direction selecting choice foliage. Though the selection of bucks were many, the opportunities were few, I would not accept anything less than a solid broadside shot. As this buck cleared a pine at a dangerously close distance to me, I slowly raised and drew my bow. The buck raised its head looking directly at me presenting a textbook broadside shot. As we watched each other, which felt like an eternity, It seemingly sacrificed itself to me as if it was saying, " I understand and I am ready". I loosed the arrow and observed its flight followed by the characteristic sound of someone slapping a leather belt on a stack of cardboard, I knew then the business was done. As he sprung up into the air and bounded off, deer scattered alarmed by the recent activity but the herd didn't travel far before turning back to watch their compatriot defiantly run uphill rather than the predicted downhill flight. At the crest he stopped to see if their was still an immediate threat and soon realized something was desperately wrong. Struggling to stay a foot he finally stumbled to his side; as the herd looked on in concern, I collected myself and headed down the 1 1/2 mile road to my house. I waited about an hour, reliving the hunt in my mind, then got into my Nissan Frontier S/C and proceeded to harvest my animal and end my day.

Gear:

Bow: Diamond VictoryArrow: Redhead Blackout fixed blade on Carbon Express CX300Clothes: Scent-lok Timberfleece 360Scent: Combination of Scent-a-Way, Scent-Killer, Scent-lok, and Primos
Modified by moyea at 7:54 PM 11/5/2008

Return to “The Great Outdoors”