Huge 5 speed swap issue

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
1armfish
Car: 92' s13

Huge 5 speed swap issue

Postby 1armfish » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:36 am

Hey guys, so I swapped the tranny, jumped the wire to make the car think its in park so i can start it(didn’t wire the sensors yet). Now when i try and start the car the driveshaft spins as i turn the key. I have the shifter in the neutral position I’m pressing down the clutch.

The other problem is that when the transmission was off of the car i was able to shift between all the gears smoothly. When its on the car though i can only go to 1st and 2nd. It wont budge to to other gears. This is a secondary issue though because i cant even start the car without it jumping forward.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
2014 Camaro SS 1LE

Re: Huge 5 speed swap issue

Postby NukeKS14 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:04 am

Could be your shifter is installed/assembled incorrectly. Is it an aftermarket short shifter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOKYuDOHznQ

There's a video of some guys replacing an S13 shifter that shows some decent views of the components. You don't necessarily have to remove the entire plate if you have snap ring pliers you just need to remove the shifter itself to check if it's aligned correctly (for the OEM shifter). If it's an aftermarket shifter you don't even need snap ring pliers, just an allen wrench to remove the 4 bolts.

>BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO DROP ANYTHING IN THE HOLE WHEN YOU REMOVE THE SHIFTER. ALSO IF IT'S A SHORT SHIFTER BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO DROP THE SPRINGS ON EITHER SIDE OF THE SHIFTER AND REINSTALL IN THE CORRECT SEQUENCE.<

I can't stress that enough. It's super easy to drop stuff down there or lose the springs and put it back together wrong.

I'm guessing that's your issue but, in any case, it's the easiest thing to start with because more invasive checking is going to require you to pull the transmission again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWuTh-V4gP4
better view of removing the OEM shifter

zerepdivad
Car: '90 240sx . '02 Lexus IS300

Postby zerepdivad » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:04 pm

clutch disc backwards is my guess.

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
2014 Camaro SS 1LE

Postby NukeKS14 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:34 pm

I was helping him on zilvia then he ran into this issue and duplicated his thread from over there. I replied to both with above post and he hasnt been back on. Betting the shifter was off or he otherwise fixed his problem. Wish people would follow up with their solution so others dont have the same problem they did when searching.

If the shaft of the shifter wasnt aligned itd be stuck in gear and he couldnt get it into neutral, explaining both problems (not actually shifting between first second gear just thats the only place he can move the shifter)

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”