Hubble's Greatest Hits!

For discussions pertaining to science and engineering and science-related topics.
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0 ... moreontime

Really cool pictures! Astronomy is something I wish I could have done more learning about at a younger age.

Z

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

I love astronomy but I find some of the math impossible to understand. I dont get calculus :(

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

alms24sebring wrote:I love astronomy but I find some of the math impossible to understand. I dont get calculus :(
Calculus isn't too bad. Derivatives are just rates of change. Everything has a rate of change, even acceleration changes, so you get levels of change. Position's rate of change is velocity, whose rate of change is acceleration, whose rate of change is jerk, and so on.

Oh an integrals are just infinite sums, or sums of infinite cross sections of a volume ;)

Its the syntax of it that makes it so daunting!

:mike

alms24sebring

I think it was just my teacher who SUCKED. He would try and throw in all these hard tricks and didnt explain anything at all. God I hated him. Im fine with derivatives but could be better with integrals, I just dont understand how to read an equation and what certain things mean, and manipulation. I dont know its hard to explain.

On a side note there is a Science Fair type deal at the Washington Convention Center in DC this weekend that I will attend Sunday. They listed a ton of exhibits online and I hear the guys from Mythbusters will be there. yay

HawtShawt
Car: 1991 240SX Coupe SE

Excellent link :) Do any space organizations have any future plans to put up a newer and more advanced telescope anytime soon?

S13_love

HawtShawt wrote:Excellent link :) Do any space organizations have any future plans to put up a newer and more advanced telescope anytime soon?
From what it sounds like, the James Webb Space Telescope will be the replacement.

http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

2018 launch date is what they're shooting for.

Now this is something I'm eager to see!

alms24sebring

Yes indeed. I saw a presentation about it by a kind of cute little chick, spokesperson. I cant imagine anything better than Hubble until I see it.

Return to “Science!”