Cool! Two Earth sized planets discovered ...

For discussions pertaining to science and engineering and science-related topics.
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... tter-daily :)

Can't live there though ... too hot ... no water. :( Not without extensive terra-forming. :chuckle:

Z

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

Only Reavers live there.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

I just saw this yesterday. I feel like every solar system found seem to have planet(s) that circle the parent star very fast, besides in our own.

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

Encryptshun wrote:Only Reavers live there.
LOL

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

alms24sebring wrote:I just saw this yesterday. I feel like every solar system found seem to have planet(s) that circle the parent star very fast, besides in our own.
You also have to take into account the fact that it is easier to see the planets that have faster orbits.

alms24sebring

hmm I think its more the bigger planets. Its faster to detect them from the amount of light being blocked and showing up again, but I wouldnt say easier.

snwbrdr435

Why not? If a planet orbits faster it will travel in front of the star more often then say a neptune or uranus. That being said bigger planets would block more light. The way Kepler works is it looks at a star sends the data back to us and we graph its data. People then look at said data for transits where a a planet could be blocking light. It usually takes around 3 hours for a planet to transit a star, this would then be represented on the graph as a drop in light. The bigger the planet the bigger the drop of light. Earth sized and smaller planets block less light and the transits can be much harder to pick up on the data. Sunspots, Flares, noise and other technical problems also have an effect on the data generated. Also Kepler's data is 35 day graphs. So planets with bigger orbits might not transit in time for us to see it. While planets with smaller orbits might do so ever 12 days.

snwbrdr435

To give you an example of what the raw data looks like. The gap in data is when kepler was either off in safe mode. The higher points are stellarflares and some of the lower points could be spots. There is also some noise in there. What is looked for is a "raindrop" of data. For example right before the gap in the data where kepler was turned off, there is a string of data that could be a transit.

alms24sebring

Yeah I know what the data looks like. I guess what I was trying to get at was if there was multiple planets or for the ones that circle the sun in only a week or less.

Its cool though, still waiting to see some more space pics from you.

snwbrdr435

The great thing about a star that orbits in a week is it gives you a pattern. Same goes for multiple planets.

I was going to try and shoot tonight but the sky wasn't co-operating.

Return to “Science!”