HowTo: Change The Oil (VQ35DE)

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Figured I'd put this out there for anyone who was interested in knowing how to change their oil. I have a 2016 QX60 but this should apply to all JX35's or QX60s as of 2019 with the VQ35DE motor.

*Disclaimer* - I am not liable for anything you do to your car. This is just a basic walkthrough.

Also, you do not have to do it exactly how I do. Different people tackle things differently. This just how I do it.

Task: Change the oil on a JX35/QX60
Time:15-20 minutes
Tools/Supplies Needed:
  • Flat head screw driver or oil filter wrench (if you don't have a wrench, you can stab the filter with the screw driver and twist - IT WILL GET MESSY :chuckle: )
  • Oil filter (I used the Mobile 1 M1-108a)
  • 14mm wrench or socket for the oil drain bolt
  • Some sort of catch can or basin to catch the old oil (MAKE SURE YOU DISPOSE OF IT PROPERLY - DON'T KILL OUR ENVIRONMENT) :squint:
  • 5 and 1/8 qts of 0W-20 oil (or whatever you need in your geographic location) - I prefer Mobil 1 so I used Mobil 1 OW-20 Full Synthetic Advanced Fuel Economy
  • (optional) OEM oil drain bolt crush washer - OEM part# 11026-JA00A
  • Jack stands/ramps/lift
Process:

1) Undo the oil cap in the engine compartment just a bit to allow for better oil flow when we start removing the filter, etc.

2) Jack the vehicle up securely so you can get under it. Get proper equipment to do this, your life depends on it.

3) With the car lifted by whichever means you have at your disposal (I realize not everyone has a lift in their garage), you should see something similar to this:

4) You will have now access to the underside of the engine. Take the 14mm wrench and undo the drain bolt shown in the below image enough so you can take it out with your fingers. Get your catch can ready and then take the bolt out with your fingers. If your engine is still hot, be careful. I usually give the car time to warm up and then do it just as it's begun to cool. This way the oil is nice and thin from being warm but not too hot that it'll burn you. Remove the bolt and the old oil will flow like milk and honey into your catch can.

5) While the oil is draining from the pan, we will move to removing the old oil filter. It is located behind this plastic shield just behind the passenger side front tire.

6) Bend the plastic shielf back just a bit and use your oil filter wrench or trust screw driver and remove the old oil filter. Remember, lefty loosey, righty tighty. So your wrench or screw driver will go up.

7) You should be left with this:

Note: Nissan/Infiniti engineers didn't quite think this one through so you will likely have some spillage onto your frame. Use a rag after the filter has been removed and oil drained to clean it up. Or, use something prior to removing the filter (you know, be smart unlike me - lesson learned), to catch the oil to begin with.

8) While everything is draining, we can now get the new oil filter ready to be installed. I like to open one of my new oil quarts and dip my finger into it and then put some oil onto the rubber seal of the new filter like so:

9) Then, simply re-install the new filter and tighten. You can use the filter wrench but I find hand tight as much as you can go is fine. Never had any issues and I've changed my own oil for 15 years.

10) Next, we need to re-install the oil pan drain bolt. I recommend removing the old crush washer and replacing before doing so, but it's not absolutely necessary. The part number for the crush washer is 11026-JA00A. Do not overtighten this bolt. I usually do hand tight with the 14mm wrench and then a tiny bit more to snug it up.

11) Double check the oil filter and drain bolt to ensure they are tight and if they are, lower the car off the jack stands, lift, etc.

12) Lastly, remove the oil cap and fill the car with 5 and 1/8 qts of your choice 0W-20 oil.

13) Boomshakalaka. You just earned yourself some personal satisfaction and probably saved some money which, as you do additional oil changes, will start to add up to significant savings.

macgiver

Go and hang a rag under that filter base flange , then put a Wonder Bread plastic bag over the rag and your oil will HOPEFULLY "flow" down , streaming into pan without messing up underside . Tough with that "side mount" , same as my J30 :tisk:
NIce photos Ilya , and Mob1 IS # 1 . I'm actually changing Juke oil (Mob1) right now , with a vertically mtd filter :dblthumb:

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”