HowTo: Change PCV Valve (VQ35DE)

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Figured I'd put this out there for anyone who was interested in knowing how to change their PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation). I change this every 30kmi on all of my vehicles as a regular maintenance item. When comparing an old valve to a new one, the new one 'rattles' much more when being shook meaning it is clean inside and the little valve is free and clear. I have a 2016 QX60 but this should apply to all JX35's or QX60s as of 2019 with the VQ35DE motor.

*Disclaimer* - I am not liable for anything you do to your car. This is just a basic walkthrough.

Also, you do not have to do it exactly how I do. Different people tackle things differently. This just how I do it.

Task: Change the PCV valve on a JX35/QX60
Time:45-60 minutes
Tools/Supplies Needed:
  • Pliers
  • 23MM DEEP socket (used to remove the PCV valve itself)
  • 10mm deep socket (used to undo the various nuts in the removal process)
  • A new PCV valve. I decided to go OEM and the part number is 11810-EA200.
  • Depending on your socket sizes (3/8, etc.), a matching socket wrench

Process:

1) Open the hood to take stock in what we will be removing in the process of getting access to the PCV valve. We are removing: the air snorkle, the engine cover, a fuse/relay box and a protective cover that goes over the PSF reservoir.

2) Start by removing the four (4) 10mm bolts highlighted here for the engine cover and air snorkle:

3) Gently remove the air snorkle (should slide up and out relatively easily) and then loosen the following two (2) 10mm bolts holding the engine cover on:

4) Next, pop off this protective cover. There is two clips in the back and it should come loose with a light tug.

5) Moving on, lets remove this fuse/relay box and its mounting bracket in order to give our arms some extra room. The box comes off by pushing the two pins and sliding forwarding toward yourself. The bracket requires your deep 10mm socket. Be careful not to lose these nuts.

6) FINALLY! We're at the PCV. Look behind the intake manifold and you should see the PCV valve. Hopefully the hose clamp is pointing at you in such a way that is easy to get to with your pliers. Once you have a hold of the clamp, slide it up.

7) With the hose clamp moved up, you should now be able to wiggle the hose itself free with your hand. If not your hand, you may need to take your pliers and lightly twist it back and forth to get it free. Slide it up and out of the way as much as possible.

8) Now the fun part: removing the PCV valve itself. Take your deep 23mm socket and put it on the valve and then add your socket wrench. Hopefully you have enough power to loosen it a bit. Once you've loosened it with the socket wrench, I found it easier to remove the wrench and just use my hand to twist the socket itself and remove the PCV.

9) Here is a picture of the PCV valve removed:

10) And here is a comparison shot of the old valve (left) and new valve (right):

10) Installation is the reverse of removal. Take your time and you should be able to accomplish it.

11) Boomshakalaka. You just earned yourself some personal satisfaction and probably saved some money in the process. Your car will thank you later.

Cmoore
Car: 2018 QX60

Thanks Ilya, another good write up. The PCV valve is something I'm going to go ahead do now.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Good luck! It's a bit tight and blind there, but I didn't have to pull any major components to get to it.

Cmoore

Interesting, the PCV valve disappears from the emissions and exhaust part lists on the QX60 after the 2016 model. I also noticed my 2018 engine cover is attached just a bit differently than the '16. You can get the cover on the '18 off without removing the intake.

Ilya

That is interesting...last I knew it was the same motor. So how are the handling the function of the PCV on the newer motors? Interesting indeed.

Cmoore

I looked back there with my flash light and the PCV valve is there. Why it doesn't show up on the parts list at Rock Auto/O'Reilly or Auto Zone is odd. I'm sure the PCV valve on the '16 is the same though. Next time I buy oil filters at the dealer I'll check with the counter guy and see what Infiniti/Nissan says about it. Rock Auto shows a PCV valve for a 2018 Nissan Pathfinder with the 3.5L engine. You would think it's the same.

Ilya

I would imagine yes. My father has a '14 Pathfinder SL and its virtually the same machine as my wifes '16 QX60.

Refatb
Car: 2017 Infiniti QX60 AWD Base

Ilya wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:08 am
That is interesting...last I knew it was the same motor. So how are the handling the function of the PCV on the newer motors? Interesting indeed.
It’s not the same motor from 2016 all the Pathfinders and QX60 with VQ35DE engine changed to Direct Injection and became VQ35DD. This is why the engine oil gets black after only 2k miles. I’vs been giving mine full synthetic and changed at 5k intervals so far got 155k miles but recently noticed it’s burning oil, probably need to change the PCV. I would also recommend getting a Walnut blasting on the intake valves because direct injections makes alot of carbon build up on the intake valves. Installing an Oil catch can is also recommended.

Ilya

Refatb wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:04 pm
Ilya wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:08 am
It’s not the same motor from 2016 all the Pathfinders and QX60 with VQ35DE engine changed to Direct Injection and became VQ35DD. This is why the engine oil gets black after only 2k miles. I’vs been giving mine full synthetic and changed at 5k intervals so far got 155k miles but recently noticed it’s burning oil, probably need to change the PCV. I would also recommend getting a Walnut blasting on the intake valves because direct injections makes alot of carbon build up on the intake valves. Installing an Oil catch can is also recommended.
Good information. My M56 is direct injected and I do the same OCI and also have catch cans for it.

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”