How-To: Wax your ride

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
Shizane2002
Car: 1998 Avenger

*** This thread is NOT for tips or guidance on restoration. This thread is for vehicles that have a stable and new or very well maintained clear coat layer. If your vehicle needs restorative work, I suggest using http://www.google.com to find out how to repair your finish.***

In this thread:

- Overall Advice
- Summary of Steps
- Steps on Rinsing and Drying
- Steps on using Compound
- Steps on waxing
- Steps on buffing
- Steps on finish-up
- Final advice and guidance

Overall Advice
My experience with Meguiars is what Im satisfied with and what I recommend to people. Of course, detailing, in and of itself, is specific to the detailer. Everyone has their trends, methods, product favorites, and styles that they use when they detail. Ive had nothing but superb performance with Meguiars myself, but you might be different. Try different products out and see what you like best :bigthumb:

A wax is designed to be a sacrificial barrier between your cars paint and the outside atmosphere. Wax is essential for protecting your cars finish from clear coat failure and eventual paint failure. Proper care and time is necessary to be invested into your cars coat so it lasts, is protected, and shines like its new.

My car has original paint from Chrysler...not the highest quality or effort a company can provide for their cars. Although not perfect, wax has produced these results on this 13 year old daily driver:

Summary of Steps to Take

So heres how I do this. Follow these steps below and you can have a brilliant finish, regardless of the make or model (or even paint color...*cough gloss black cough*) of what you drive.

1. Rinse and dry off vehicle in accordance with Step 1 and 2 in this thread how-to-wash-dry-detail-your-ride-t502848.html
2. Apply and remove Meguiars Ultimate Compound
3. Apply and remove Meguiars Next Generation Tech Wax
4. Rinse and dry off vehicle again.
5. Maintain by keeping the car clean and following Steps 1 through 4.

Step 1. Rinse and Dry

Follow the Steps RINSE AND DRY in this thread how-to-wash-dry-detail-your-ride-t502848.html

Step 2. The Compound

If you have a finish that has been abused and neglected, this product can be applied by hand or by orbital to restore the finish, revitalize color, and eliminate swirlies and slight scratches. This compound makes restoration very easy. It also gives your cars paint a good foundation to apply wax over.
Price: $9.99 Classification: Clean and Prep

^ By reading this, you understand that Meg's UC can be applied like a wax. And then buffed off. Do this as described by using a clean micro-fiber towel and you will see instant results. Apply UC in sections. Allowing each section to dry thoroughly.

Step 3. The Wax

- Meguiars Next Generation Tech Wax 2.0: This is the best liquid wax I have ever used. Its results give you a deep color rich look, the best water beading, oxidation, corrosion, UV protection, and shine and gloss appeal. It can be applied by hand, orbital or DA polisher.
Price: $17.99 Classification: Wax – NXT Generation.

^ This wax is expensive. However, the results speak for themselves*. When you apply and remove Meguiars Ultimate Compound and then immediately do a follow-up wax application of this Tech Wax, your results will truly be amazing. It makes your color deeper and more vibrant, it makes your paint SHINEY, and it also protects against UV rays and other various forms of contaminants. This wax is recommended for application and removal with a clean micro-fiber towel. Apply Megs TW2.0 in sections and allow the wax to dry completely.

* Meguiars Next Generation Tech Wax can be applied to all vehicle windows. In fact I highly encourage you to wax your windows. The water beading effect of a waxed window is not only a safety consideration (since the water beads up and rolls off your glass) but it also helps keep more components of your car clean by not allowing water to build-up and bake off, leaving water spots.

Step 3. Rinse, Dry and Detail

Follow the Steps in this thread how-to-wash-dry-detail-your-ride-t502848.html

Step 4. Maintain

The Maintenance Phase is the most important factor of detailing. What good is that coat of wax you just spent 3 hours applying if you let it sit neglected for the next 7 months? Take care of your car by cleaning and maintaining it. The rewards will speak for themselves. Maintaining is going to be easier for some of you than others. If your schedule or finances dont allow you the time and effort, then do as best as you can with what youve got to keep your car clean.
Last edited by Shizane2002 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thorshammer
Car: FX35

Your posts are so well organized and then you ruin them by turning them into commercials for meguiars product.
Meguiars brand is not my choice of protectant,
In fact there is such a concentrated saturation of postings advertising meguiar products it becomes a turn off.

Shizane2002

O_O

I figured that since Im using Meguiars on a 13 year old daily driven Chrysler on original paint that it would say something as to the quality of the product. My detailing threads are only advice....not regulatory standards.

I edited my "Overall Advice" to make it more...applicable. See what ya think :bigthumb:

elevate
Car: 2009 Super Black Nissa Altima coupe 2.5S

very nice write up man! i have heard good things about meguiars in and out of the forum, i am going to detail my car this monday (labor day) haha
i just have 1 question, how often do you detail your car like this. or basically how many rinse/dry washes do you do before doing all the waxing etc again?
thank you! :bigthumb:

Markc
Car: 2008 m35x
2005 infiniti G35

infiniti_lineup wrote:Need some of your help, Shizane2002:

I purchased a random orbital buffer and put some of the Tech Wax 2.0 on the terry cloth adapter (in circles and then a little spot in the middle). I used the buffer in a circular motion and applied the wax throughout the car, stopping only twice to reapply more wax on the cloth. I then let it sit for a 10 minutes and came back to remove the wax.

Now this is where the problem started - I wanted to use the sheep wool adapter that the orbital buffer came with, but it wouldn't remove all the wax and left a thin layer. So, I ended up using a microfiber towel to remove the rest, but it left streak marks. What am I doing wrong in the wax removal process?

Thanks so much!

I would never apply wax with a buffer. The speed of the aplicator produces heat and it's like applying wax in direct sunlight in August.

UpStar
Car: Y34,CLK500,ML350,H2 Hummer & they all have a spot in the garage.

Shizane2002

Your info is not good! Its actually pretty bad. I'm speaking from experience, so please hear me out on what I have to say. This is only constructive criticism, so nothing personal and I'm willing to hear what others have to say about my technique.

First - Never compound a car during routine washes or to maintain the look as you stated in #5 of the (Summary of Steps to Take) Compound cuts into the clear coat and using it routinely will cost you.
Second - Never wax after compounding
Third - Never routinely compound a car. Only use compound to remove stubborn, deep, aggressive scratches
Fourth - Never compound by hand with any chemical regardless or what the bottle says. Purchase a Porter Cable7424 or 3401 Flex for any real correction work.
5th - Never apply wax with a polisher/buffer etc.. Always apply wax by had with approved applicator.

Now take a look at the chart below:

Chart is courtesy of http://www.autogeek.net

This is what I do, so if you are routinely washing your car with light to moderate scratches I recommend the following:

1st - Wash Car with approved soap. No dish washing liquid!
2nd - Rinse car and allow soap to fall off in a downward direction
3rd -To reduce the chances of more scratches I use an electric leaf blower to blow water off the car in a downward motion and then follow-up with microfiber towel to the missed spots.
4th - Polish the car with a very mild cut polish (Menzerna 85rd, Meguiars 205 or 3M Ultra Fina SE) Use approved polisher (Flex 3401 or Porter cable7424) to apply polish
5th - Remove polish with a series of micro-fiber towels.
6th - Glaze (optional) The glaze fills in small scratches, but a good polish will eliminate the use of glaze. If you skip the glaze process skip to the sealant process
7th - Sealant
8th - I perform a double wax by hand using the Poor Boys Natty paste wax (apply & remove with a series of micro-fiber towels) and after that first coat, 3-4 hours later following up with the Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #26 paste.

I just complete the above steps on a neighbors Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid (maroon color) for his birthday 6-7 weeks ago. It had light to moderate scratches. The process took 4.5 hrs. Image

Shizane2002

Cool technique. I think everyones technique is personally suited based on what works for them. Which is why I said that my technique is what has worked for me. Just throwing that out there.

Return to “Detailing Forum”