how to use a nismo type b pressure regulator

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Marahutay
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX Fastback

hey nico,
my turbo ka is coming together and i finally am approaching the step where i put on my nismo type B FPR. HOWEVER, i have no clue whatsoever how this little device works, or what it should look like once installed. ive searched all over and all i keep getting for my results is discussion on wether it fits or not and maybe some text saying where in the line to put it. THIS IS NOT DESCRIPTIVE ENOUGH FOR ME. would anyone be able to provide some pictures with text on the pictures showing fuel flow, where the pressure gauge should be placed with respect to the FPR, how the little nut on the top should be positioned at its first point of use when i turn the car on so i dont supply fuel at a dangerous level without knowing it on first startup, and how much/ how little of my existing fuel line should i remove to make this installation easiest, and how much hose should i have handy for this install? thankyou everybody!

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Do you have the regulator that bolts to the back of the fuel rail?

Marahutay

yes, if youre looking at the engine from the front of the car it bolts onto the back

WDRacing

Ok, quick lesson.

Anything aft of the fuel pressure regulator (fpr) is considered the return side. Anything in front of the fpr is called the pressure side.

The fuel pressure gauge goes anywhere on the pressure side. If you're using a factory fuel rail, there isn't a spot to mount a gauge, so they are usually "T'd" into the fuel line on the pressure side. Somewhere between the fuel filter and the fuel rail.

As far as where the screw and nut need to be, it's not something you'll need to worry about as far as damage is concerned. The motor won't care if the fuel pressure is too high during idle, yes it will run very rich, but the motor will run fine and no harm will come from it. Just as long as you adjust it accordingly and don't let it sit there idling wicked rich for long periods of time. If it's too lean the car motor will stumble and not idle very well, it may not even start. Again, nothing bad will come from this if you increase the fuel pressure to the proper level once it's running.

When you turn the key to ACC mode, the fuel pump should prime and you'll register fuel pressure on the gauge. Without vacuum this should be somewhere around 34 psi give or take.

When the motor is started and the vacuum line is attached to the fpr, your fuel pressure should be between 40 and 45. I had mine set at 45.

Ask any questions you have, I'll try to answer them.

Here's a typical diagram of a return type fuel system.

Marahutay

thankyou very much wd for that info.
the only thing i still need to know is what function each of the 3 holes on the fpr are associated with, which one is return, which one is vac, which one is sending. how can i identify these properly?
EDIT
thanks for the picture its exactly what i was looking for.
now is my top hole on the fpr going to be vac and the bottom one return also?

WDRacing

Is this the one you have?

If so, the vacuum goes to the top. The pressure port goes to the fuel rail, the one with the screws/bolts and the return line comes out of the bottom.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Some bad pics of mine. Though I used an a Greddy adapter to be able to space it out and adjust the angle as it was going to hit where I couldn't adjust it without that piece.

Marahutay

yes wd that is the one i have, and biggie thanks for the pics they helped also.
just 1 step closer to getting this headache goin! this really helped guys i appreciate the info!

WDRacing

Glad to help man!

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”