How to up^ the boost on my Hks Evc 3 boost controller

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
ricosuavee93
Car: 1992 Nissan 300zx TT

Hello my Z friends,

I have a 92 TT with the old school hks ecv 3. I have my ecu chipped from speciality z for about 17psi, and for safety my tuner set my boost controller for low 14psi and high 15psi. Does anyone know how to turn up the boost on my evc 3 just a bit w/o getting to technical :gotme

Thanks, Rico

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

speedslave
Car: 1990 300Zx TT Black on Black

I have the HKS EVC4 so very similar to yours. Couple of thoughts from the post above you've got the instructions read it several times to make sure you understand it. Might even help to make a cheat sheet of instructions for when your in the car. I assume you want to get closer to the 17 that SZ chip can handle so make sure you run the octane fuel the SZ recommends. When I test mine I have a boost gauge and I set it on my dash right in my field of view. Start shooting for a safe boost say 15.5 then work your way up 16 ,16.5, etc. this way you can listen (music off) for detonation if it starts. By starting safe it will also give you practice and confidence using the controller to make quick adjustments. Make sure the road you use is desolate with a good view and plenty of space. It will take several runs probably to get it right. If you really want to be sure your engine isn't detonating in the real world and not just on the dyno buy a set of brand new plugs and put them in before you go for the test. If detonation occurs it will leave tiny black specs on the porcelain. When you check the plugs there will be some discoloration but it should be white at the tip and any black specs visible. If it were me I would start @ 16psi get it set to that then go home let the car cool and pull each plug and with a magnifying glass check each plug. If all looks good then same procedure and shoot for 16.5 or 17 your call. I would be running the plugs that SZ recommends as well. Be safe Boost safe.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”