How to tie down a Canoe to the front/rear bumper?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
ThinkingAboutIt

Most sport-utes have external cargo hooks in or near the bumpers to secure loads to the roof. How is this done with an EX? I am thinking to buy the EX but need this solved first.

Sales say that there is a shipping hook in the front grill area but it is offset to the right and a shipping hook on the rear underside somewhere but only on one side.

To properly secure a canoe for highway travel, the bow and stern need to be secured either equally to two sides (picture an upside down 'V")or directly centre for a single point of contact.

From what I can tell, a Hitch may solve my problem in the rear (for an additional cost of $354 CAD) but what about the front??

Any canoeists out there?

inteller
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

i'm no canoeist, but I wouldn't think the EX is the best vehicle suited for that.

they must be selling the hell out of these things in canada, a large portion of the posters here are from there....and I have only seen 2 in my fairly large city.

espressomac
Car: Audi Cabriolet

Coincidetally, my wife put a canoe on our EX35 last week. We only had 48 hours to come up with something so this is what we did for front and back: Got two short bungie cords with wide-opening, rubber coated hooks. Both hooks on each bungie cord caught well under the rear hatch and under the hood. Used ratcheted belts to secure front and back as well as the midsection.

You're right, a 'V' configuration would have been more secure -- and we'll devise something like that next time.

Two pics at:

http://gallery.mac.com/etorres...sel=0

espressomac

my workmy play

ThinkingAboutIt

Thanks for the pics! They were a little blurry - any chance of getting some more but straight on profile to see the max spread between front/rear cross bars? Also a second straight on to see the whole side of car with canoe/other on top?

Cheers

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

I've always feared what would happen to a Ladder on top of Work-truck in the event of an Accident... and now I have to also worry about Canoes, too.

I've seen things strapped on with Twine, Electrical Tape and Rubber Bungee Cords.

Good luck in keeping that thing ON, in the event of rapid deceleration.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”