How to tell if my Altima Coupe has factory suspension

All things Altima Coupe.
leaton10
Car: 2008 Altima Manual Coupe

I recently purchased a 2008 3.5 coupe. Apparently the previous owner liked to add aftermarket things, so it has some odd items that, to me, seem detrimental to the car's function. I found loose ground straps under the hood and connected them back up. The previous owner 'debadged' the car, then went and put 'nismo' decals on the brake light, mirrors and wheels. This makes no sense. Then there is the aftermarket intake, which defeats the cold air intake the stock car had, taking hot air from on top of the engine.
But the one possible mod I am curious about and want to verify - how can I tell if the car was 'lowered?' It seems to scrape the ground on minor road grade places, like pulling into a driveway over a drain and over all but the most minor bumps on dirt roads.
I'd like to put it back to stock if it solves this problem. And if someone has stock hardware I may be interested in buying or trading my springs or whatever is involved.

Larry

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO! Here's some details and links that should help you return the vehicle back to stock.

Wheelbase: 105.3 in (2,675 mm) (coupe)
Length: 182.5 in (4,636 mm) (2007–09 coupe)
Width: 70.7 in (1,796 mm) (sedan & coupe)
Height: 55.3 in (1,405 mm) (2007–09 coupe)
Tires: 215/60R16 (coupe)
Ground Clearance: 5.2 in OR 132 mm

2008 Altima Coupe Owner's Manual
2008 Altima Coupe Quick Reference Guide
2008 Nissan Altima FSM

Nissan USA eSTORE Parts & Accessories
2008 Nissan Altima Coupe Parts

2008 Nissan Altima Coupe Badges

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Well you should be able to tell by the amount of "wheel gap", the space in between the tire and the fender.

Here is a picture of stock suspension, compare your car with the picture.

leaton10

Thanks for the responses. I think it would be very hard to measure vehicle height - would need some sort of large frame or lazer with a level or something. Ground clearance might be a little easier, but I wouldn't trust it, since you'd have to pick the point of measuring as the lowest point - which could be an after market exhaust part of something.
From the photo I can see that it might be easiest to measure the gap around the fender for the wheel.
I was hoping someone could tell me if you can look at the struts or springs and get a part number or something like that.
Larry

leaton10

If it is lower - I would need to know what needs to be replaced to get it back to factory height.

3.5PandaCoupe
Car: 2012 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5

POST PICTURES!!!

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

If you recently purchased it, then you have recent contact with the previous owner. Ask them some of your questions. That's what I would have done... before buying the car, but after can be okay to. If the car is 'lowered', then you won't have factory suspension. At a minimum, you'll have aftermarket "lowering" springs. So start there, look at and take a photo of the springs front and back. Post your photos here if you can't tell on your own. OEM are typically black and generic looking. Aftermarket are often colored 'pretty' and will have some brand name stamped onto them, possibly with a part number or spring rate. Similar goes for the colors of the shock absorbers.

The 5.2 clearance dimension will be to the bottom of the chassis, not a low hanging part like a muffler.

For s*** and giggles, here's some info on intakes: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/engine ... m-intakes/

If it is lowered, then to get it back you'll need OEM style springs, possibly the shock absorbers, and worst case the hats and bushing bits.

leaton10

I've looked at several photos of stock cars and it does appear mine is lowered. I came to that conclusion because the
wheels don't have the same space all around relative to the edge of the wheel well - in other words, the wheel is not
centered in the fender well.
I bought the car from a dealer that probably got it from an auction or something similar. I assume it was a trade in
so can't ask the previous owner anything, or I would have.
I think it wouldn't be hard to find the owner - could get it from the carfax - but that might freak them out to call them.
I'll take pix and post them of the strut/spring/hat assy soon.

centralcoaster33

No, don't bug the previous owner in this situation. Definitely a creeper move. I think you could tell the springs by your own inspection, but certainly feel free to post up photos for a second opinion. Show us the wheel gap, springs and arms, best if you could pull the wheel off for that, but I understand if you're not up to that for a photo. :bigthumb:

Rouge5
Car: Altima Coupe 2.5 2008

Here are the specs:

leaton10

That chart is perfect - I will do some measurements! Thanks Rouge5
I did pull a front wheel for pix - have to figure out how to post them.

leaton10

I just did the measurements and sure enough - it is between 1.5 and 2 inches short.

leaton10

Here we go with photos (note that this is front passenger wheel off and on a jack so suspension is uncompressed):

leaton10

And now side view:

centralcoaster33

The struts appear factory, so maybe the spring had a loop or two cut off. I think you might be able to tell a factory cut from a hacksaw cut on the end of the spring. Getting a photo of someone else's unmolested strut could help. Maybe those are online even. Then you could count the loops. If they're cut, it looks like all you need to get it back would be new springs... possibly available from someone who lowered theirs with aftermarket springs.

leaton10

I concur. I appreciate everyone's help here. You may not be able to see it in the photos, but the strut has a Nissan part number, so almost certainly is factory. The only thing within reason is what you say, the springs are aftermarket or have been modified.
I did find a set of factory springs in the marketplace on this site for a good price. However, when I went to inquire, I could not. The thread had been 'locked' - whatever that means. I sent a private message to the seller, but have not gotten a response....

Rouge5
Car: Altima Coupe 2.5 2008

This is my altima with KYB shocks in front, should be the same specs than the OEM I think, and the OEM shocks in the rear wheels
The gap between the tire and the fender looks taller in the front than the rear.

Altimacoupe2010
Car: 2010 Altima Coupe 2.5s

I do have stock springs if ur looking to buy...

leaton10

Yes - I am interested. Do you have a price in mind?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Altimacoupe2010 wrote:I do have stock springs if ur looking to buy...
leaton10 wrote:Yes - I am interested. Do you have a price in mind?
Please conduct price negotiations outside the forum (privately). Thank you.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”