how to take off front and rear bumper(s13)?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
240pr06
Car: 1992 nissan 240sx

helloim going to take my front and rear bumper to get painted, i searched and found a small write up but it was to do a silvia front end conversion, and the person took off the bumper and fenders off together, im looking to just get the front bumper off, do i need to take off the hood and pop ups to get the bumper off? and how would i go about taking the rear bumper off. is there another write up on how to do this?this is the write up i found but im not sure if its the best way to go about it.http://www.mestiso.net/forums/...c=359any tips and help will be great.thanks

tramp_drift240
Car: 1992 240sx SE Coupe

for the rear, there are four bolts under rubber covers in the trunk floor, remove those. i think theyre 17s or something. then there are four or five 10mm nuts on each side inside the quarterpanel.

for the front bumper, you dont have to take anything else off. there are 5 or 6 nuts connecting the bumper to the fender on each side. get to them through the fender well in the front, its easier to do if you turn the wheels away from the side youre working on to make room for your arm and a ratchet, and perhaps 2 or 3 extensions.

then pop the hood and take off the bolts that run along the top of the bumper holding it to the radiator support things. youll see them.

and then there are a few plastic pop-in things on the bottom of the bumpers 'mouth opening' and a metal bracket thats bolted to the top of the 'mouth opening', also 10mm.

thats it.

240pr06

awesome thanks for the help

240pr06

so all of the bolts for the rear bumper are taken off throught the inside of the car in the hatch?

tramp_drift240

yep. theres a handful on each side, inside the quarterpanels. youll need to take off the trunk lining stuff.

and then theres 2 on each side (four total) that bolt the like...bumper support big metal thing onto the unibody's 'frame'

youll have to lift up any carpeting and stuff, and there are four rubber plugs that cover up the four bolts. theyre large, and long. so itll probalby take a while.

oh, and also, youll have to take out another 10mm bolt under the rear bumper, above the muffler. i forgot about that one while taking mine off and it pissed me off. couldnt figure it out for the life of me for an hour or so.

240pr06

great so i guess it helps that i have my hatch gutted of all the carpets and stuff. thanks a lot

tramp_drift240

indeed it does. post back up if youve got any questions.

megaderk
Car: '90 240sx coupe

tramp_drift240 wrote:for the rear, there are four bolts under rubber covers in the trunk floor, remove those. i think theyre 17s or something. then there are four or five 10mm nuts on each side inside the quarterpanel.
i need to remove my rear bumper on my coupe do to a small incident with a street light. the bumper was ripped from those 5 bolts in the fenders so those are no worries and as for those 4 bolts on the trunk floor, i removed those and yanked on my bumper for a good half hour and the bumper support wouldnt budge.

are you sure that is all?

Return to “240sx General Discussion”