How to remove spray paint from rims (small amount)

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
diecast
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5 (Adriatic Blue)
2010 Infiniti G37x (Aspen Pearl)

Hey all, I own an Altima coupe with stock rims (alloy I think). I have no idea how it got there, but yesterday I noticed that there is what looks like some blue spray paint on one of my rims. It's the same side that got some body work done over a month ago, but I am positive it wasn't there when I got the car back from the shop, so can't be sure if it's just regular spray paint or not. It's not a lot, it's as if someone was spray painting near it, and some the of the spray-off got on the rim.

Anyone know what I can do to remove it without damaging the original coating on the rim? I've googled around and read about aircraft cleaner, or 3M Graffiti Remover, but wondering if anyone here has any suggestions.

If this is the wrong place to post, please let me know.

Thanks!

diecast
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5 (Adriatic Blue)
2010 Infiniti G37x (Aspen Pearl)

Anyone?

I talked to a service guy at my dealership, they don't do body work there, but he said to try cut polish. Is that a good idea?

I forgot to mention I haven't worked on cars in any way really except changing tires and checking engine oil.

Unicorn
Car: 2013 Rogue S, Special Edition AWD

Goof Off works decently. I've used it on body paint before because of some overspray.

95maxrider
Car: 1996 Infiniti I30, 1988 BMW 528e

Some things come to mind:
-Clay bar
-Purple Power
-A polishing pad and some polish

What's the finish on your wheels, can you post up a pic? If they are unpainted, you will have more options.

If none of those things work and you're desperate, you can try lightly sanding the area with some 3M Scotchbrite pads (the red, foamy ones). These will go through your stock paint if you're not careful, so go slow and light.

Return to “Detailing Forum”