How to re-fasten M56 engine plastic bottom shield?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
ibc
Car: Infiniti M56x

Has anyone found a better way to attach the M56 engine's bottom shield? Onto something solid?

We usually remove the plastic bottom shield when changing oil filter. But 10 of 17 fasteners are broken. The bolts were attached to plastic, not metal, and most of my plastic mounts are shredded. How to fix that? I mean the mounting points on the plastic bumper & surrounding plastic trim are broken, not the bottom shield itself. The speed nuts got rusted, and so during removal the speed nuts just spun out & shredded their plastic mounting points onto which they were clipped. So there's no longer any plastic to attach new speed nuts. I had switched to stainless steel bolts, but not stainless-steel speed nuts, yet they seized up.

Toll Booth Willey has an all-metal shield, but I think it still attaches to same plastic points on the underside of engine bay. What else can we attach it to?

Is there a solution?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Correct, the TBW shield won't change your predicament unfortunately.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

I think a member here had a similar predicament and used some JB Weld and attached some washers to reinforce the plastic and make a sturdier mounting hole.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”