"How to" R & R - J30 Brake Booster - Step by Step

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
macgiver

Got '93 J30 looking to replace Power Brake Booster - very very tight space due to engine and especially strut tower . Let alone no "cutting corners" - I have m/cyl out capped & capped lines , pulled aside cruise ctrl. unit , pulled aside the bolted check-valve @ firewall theres less than 2" clearance to str. tower and booster has greater than 2" studs through firewall ,
on the engine side a pipe ,a hose and worst the IAC valve plus edge of "block" all interfering! FSM gives no suggested sequence , I can't find a topic in NICOclub , those Chilton's and (weak) Haynes manuals don't list J30 let alone the booster R&R.

Please , if anyone has , especially , actual experience doing this for guidance , and I called 4 shops says 5 - 5 1/2 hour job
labor - $ 480 lo & $ 625 hi + part . Now I'ma pretty seasoned mechanic and it seems to me that instead of trying to mess with removing things (like an IAC etc. etc.) that still may not give clearance - I'm thinking as follows : Freeing drvr's motor-mount and loosening / removing same to the passenger side motor-mount and maneuvering the engine - BUT - motor seems to need to shift more sideways than "up" , I've never swapped engines nor touched J30 mounts ?? G.T. 10/25/2017 :wtf2:

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Well, I wish you luck sir. All I see is the FSM and it looks like cake there. Pull Master off, detach pedal bits, detach hose, unbolt and remove...

Maybe someone with experience will see this and help with some detailed instruction. But, you might want things done sooner than that. So, you could try to post some pictures of the conflicting parts (things that seem to be in the way) and get some more ideas from anyone willing to look.

macgiver

It is very obscure in the photos I tried to take 3 angles , and to someone not front & center and with a flashlight at night (your best 360 view) a few who looked at them tend to think - yeah you just unbolt lines & all , pullback lines & remove. Strut tower vs engine , it's engine can be shifted over 1" .The worst part I left out of the original rather long post was - It's the INSTALLATION that's the scary part for beating the crap out of the new part going back in is what comes to mind for the insane tightness of the first 'R' in the R & R ! It's gotta be someone with the "been there , done that " experience I'm afraid who's advice can substantiate - "yeah go and unbolt mnts. & move that engine up & over" !!

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”