How To Paint Your Engine Cover

Troubleshooting, DIY's, How-To's and articles about all Nissan vehicles. Non-vehicle specific "General" How-To and tech information is also here.
adidas2go
Car: 08 Frontier 4.0L 6SPD
05 Ford F-150 5.4L 4x4
08 Honda CBR600RR

You will need:600 sand paper (wet or dry your choice)Dupilcolor Engine Enamel and Clear Coat( I chose not to clear as the final coat came out pretty smooth)

Start by cleaning the cover with some dish detergent and a scrub brush to remove dirt and oil, don't bother drying it as the next step is sanding. I chose to go with a 600 grit wet/dry paper. Start sanding the entire cover especialy around the 3.5 as there is a visable imperesion line from molding.

After sanding once rinse it off and start sanding again take your time as this step is crutial to getting a good smooth finish.

I chose to remove the Nissan logo as I could not achieve good results with tape. If you chose to remove the logo be prepared it is no easy task. Start by heating it up with a blow dryer then gently pry around the logo to break it loose from the double sided tape. The tape is super strong so be CAREFUL!! Then you have the chalenge of removing the tape I had a real hard time with this I scraped as much as I could with a razor and flat screwdriver. Then I used Goo Gone to remove the rest of the adhesive. Clean any of the solvent off with soap and water. Once clean you are ready to paint.

Start painting per the instructions on the can. First two coats light folowed by a medium wet third coat. With 10 minute wait inbetween coats. First Coat

Second Coat

Final Coat

Now would be the time to clear if you chose just be sure to get all three coats of paint and clear on within an hour(per instructions). And thats it just give it at least 3 hours to cure before putting the logo back on as it may damage the still soft paint. I just finished paint and plan on putting it back on the car in the morning to give it enough time to cure. If further coats are needed wait 7 days for full cure(per instructions). And that's it now you have a nicely painted cover. Just rember take your time and do it right the first time as it would probably be difficult to fix if not done correctly.

The final product. Enjoy!

Article by: johnnyd6404

Return to “Nissan Articles”