How to measure runout on slotted rotors?

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
jakeG37

I am having runout issues with my newly installed EBC slotted rotors on my 2008 Infiniti G37s Coupe with BBK. I installed a set of 4 40k miles ago and recently replaced all 4 again due to a mistake done by a mechanic during a brake job. Ever since I had the new rotors installed, I have had brake judder problems. The higher the speed and harder I brake there is quite a bit of vibration felt. I know the best way to correct the problem is to use a Pro-Cut on the car brake lathe. I took it to a Nissan dealer to have them match the rotors to my hub but they told me they could not measure the runout on my EBC slotted rotors because it would damage the device they use. The slots of my rotors extend to the far edge of the rotor and all the videos ive seen of measure a slotted rotor don’t have the slots extending to the edge of the rotor. This allows a dial gauge to be used without running into the slots during measurement. How can I instruct the dealership to measure the extent of the runout so they can correct it?

jakeG37

Just to clarify, I also had them check for any play/slop on the hubs to make sure I didnt have a bearing issue. They said everything was normal.

jakeG37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N-BAQ8LUUg

Just found that video on youtube. Maybe I will have to show the stupid techs at Nissan how to use their own Pro-Cut since they were giving me nonsense reasons for not being able to verify runout before cutting. Now, the question is, do I need to or should I replace the pads after the cutting even though they have only a couple thousand miles of use?

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”