how to make a z31 track ready

Blast down the 1320? Love the 1/8 mile action? Here's your forum.
jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

what parts would you need to make the z31 (84.5 300zx) faster on the 1/4 mile i have the basics cai, headers, race pipe,muffler. im thinking about ecu+nos+forced induction but not in the near future. it will be track only so the door is open power wise. but shut money wise. ive already gutted it.all interior peices are removed and the a/c is gone. just cant make this thing faster. any help is needed

sicride
Car: 1989 KA24ET RPS13

don't know if you'll ever see this post since it's been so long since your original.

The Z31 is really not made up to go 1/4 very fast especially NA. What are your current times? and what are you looking to be at?

I would imagine if price is not an option, N2O is the way to go (you can still use NOS if you prefer that company but there are many other options out there). From what I've seen of Z31's on a launch they squat like crazy. This isn't a bad thing; the bad thing is how the suspension does this, it creates a ton of negative camber and kills your contact patch. If it is a track only car and you mean drag only car, then I would look into a drag alignment. Also does the car have a limited slip differential? Horsepower is only 1/3 of what the car needs to perform.. Equally important is the driver and traction. You can find atleast .8 seconds in a 1/4 from traction alone on almost any car, I can't imagine the Z31 would be any different.

I know very little about Z31's so this is just general knowledge for the most part.

jbracy7

the car runs high 15's with very little done to it i fix ed (ihope) the chamber problems with some chamberplates there is lsd but its vis-lsd grabs hard and lust go to fast. tires are at the track specials over priced sliks on stock rims the motor is stock with a ram air and heavy duty clutch and light flywheel nos is ok but im tried of bottle fed babies and want a beast ive bought a motor from a junkyard and its going in soon its .3litires larger than the stock one. i dont have alot of cash but its enough i want it at least in the high 10's buy next year.

sicride

Your budget must not be all that tight if you're shooting for tens. And unless that new motor is a V8 or a rediculously built VG30DE NA you're not making it into the tens withouta turbo.

jbracy7

i some peaple backing my car with man power and some funds the nico discounts help a lil but some local companies have sponsered my "help me build the fastest nissan in the county" theres a z32 down here that runs 12's and is an total ******* soo i have to take him out in one year at the dallas motoplex next feb im going with a 98 frontier motor a vg33 bored over i havent desided on turbo or n/a but nitro is a must for 10's in a v6 n/a is hella hard to bult in to 10's but turbo has lots of problems for a drag motor my math tells me that i will need about 675 hp with at least550 at the wheels

sicride

well uhm... Z31's weigh about 3500lbs... and according to the calculators I found, you're going to need theoretically 600whp to get a 3200lb car (including driver) down the track in 10.1 seconds. Thats with perfect driving and perfect traction. If you make 600whp out of a VG33 I think you will have the most powerful VG33 in the world to add to the list of accomplishments, but also another hint at how much of a pain in the *** thats going to be.

Start over. Sell the VG33. Get something you know can make that power easily. SR20DET? VG30DETT?

You're not doing this without putting about 8,000 minimum into a motor. Then you have to find out how to get traction in a Z31 and shave atleast 500lbs off the car

sicride

not to mention the fastest Z31 I've found so far on the internet ran 9.8 with a tube chasis, fully built VG30DETT from a 92 300zx TT with fully built internals and running 32psi from a T70. The whole rear suspension was replaced and custom.

How much do you expect to spend? Go with a different car if you want to do this cheap. It'll cost less to get a Z32 TT and make it run 10's than to make your Z31 run tens.

jbracy7

i have just under 50k to built it traction is not that much of a problem the rear end is geting a ford diff and chasis is geting preped 500lbs not easy to loose i removed all plastic and un nessary junk it all weighed 179 lbs next im planing on a custom diy fiber glass body (laying fiber glass over body its prob not gonna work but i am a body guy soo maybe) that might be a lot of weight. a vg30 in working order non jdm is over 8000 dollars a vg33 is under 2000 so if i brake it i can buy back ups

michaelp
Car: 1986 300ZX

Ok..I'm late with this. But the Z31 weighs 3030lbs (give or take a few, but not over 3100lbs) NA, and approx 3100lbs turbo. For $10,000 and some fab work you can push over 500hp to the wheels with a T4 turbo with the VG30E(T).

jbracy7

well michaelp thats not 100% true no vg30t can reach 500 hp not on boost alone a vg30det single turbo conv can only make 400 tops before blowing upand thats with a triple k turbo the most i've puled out of a vg30 on stock crank is 390 with thats with 41 a/r turbo and a lot of nos good for high 14'sbut steal streetabile almost with this one im going all out bigger motor better fab way better tuning (sorry but **** magasquirt)a gaint f-ing head ach. now im shelling out big bucks for spectere ecu. rom tuning is for computer geeks nistune is ok if u can find one

michaelp
Car: 1986 300ZX

Heres a '88 NA2T with $10,000 invested

The VG30E has been proven to take 600hp on stock internals.

You can keep your 240SX, but Z-cars are my life and job, along with the VG30.

sicride

you have 50k to spend? Screw it, go with a built LS1.

jbracy7

well then what the hell am i doing wrong. cause ive blown up more 300 zx than any bodie i know. from a 95 tt to a 84 n/a .i dont know alot about engines but all ive ever worked on are nissans. i work at a bodie shop body work is easy. compareed to the pains ive had with 300's but i cant stop buying them side of the road specails or e gay i just buy them and (blow them up)i 've learned alot about them so now iwant to build an all nissan 10 sec drag car and yes i have alil under 50 k but most is spent on chasis work roll cage. a hans scca rule book the car runs high 15's mostly stock i just need to build one bad *** motor to make 3 passes one 1/4 mile at a time then thats it . the reason for this would be i was fired from a prefomance shop cause i was working on my car at lunch so my new employer like the idea of a battle of the shops so i have to build one of my blown 300's to a 10 sec demon

Nissan_Nick

i know this is way old but i was just doing a google search and found it.... it would be pretty easy to get a vg30et to 600whp...... and i know somone with more then that.... i my self have 427 and i just started..... go to 88hybrid.com and say hi..... we will get you the list of parts you will need.

jbracy7

well i gotit down to 13sec before my sponsers pulled out. thanks for the info

Return to “Nissan Drag Racing Forum”