DIY: HID / Xenon Lights Install

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Dave1320

I just installed hids into my wife's rogue and figured I'd write a small DIY.

Tools: 10 mm socket
Wire ties
H11 hid kit
Relay harness (highly recommend)
Flathead screwdriver

Steps:
Remove air duct by gently prying up the 3 clips that hold it in, then remove the duct because it's in the way to access driverside bulbs.

Remove both stock h11 bulbs, look for your low beams and just look at the bulbs behind it.

After removing the stock bulbs install hid bulbs into headlight. Plug your hid bulbs into the each ballast. I decided to install a relay harness, which basically pulls direct battery power so it's guaranteed to ignite every time. The harness should have a power wire that needs to be bolted with the positive terminal of the battery (using 10mm socket) .

I mounted the passenger side ballast to the top engine mount and the driverside ballast underneath the body frame near the fuse box. I was too lazy to pull off the bumper because I could hide the ballasts better. Btw, if you're using a relay harness, the 10mm socket is used to ground the harness!

Pictures are included to show the mounting locations and the air duct that I'm talking about. Feel free to ask questions on the install. I'd rate the install a 1/10 for difficulty!

P.S. The Nissan Rogue reflector housing is designed to not glare because they do have a factory HID option. We've all seen cars with headligths not designed for HIDs....they can be quite bright and annoying!
Last edited by Dave1320 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Dave1320 wrote: Remove air duct by gently prying up the 3 clips that hold it in, then remove the duct because it's in the way to access driverside bulbs.
thats how you break those clips. you are to pop up the center first, then gently pry the remaining portion up.

Dave1320

once the center is popped up you don't need to pry the remaining portion up because it just pulls out.

You're right about them breaking but that's why I said gently do so. I have the proper clip removal tool that I bought from the tool shop. You can also use your fingertips to get them up too. Not everyone has the exact tool to do the job.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Dave1320 wrote:once the center is popped up you don't need to pry the remaining portion up because it just pulls out.

You're right about them breaking but that's why I said gently do so. I have the proper clip removal tool that I bought from the tool shop. You can also use your fingertips to get them up too. Not everyone has the exact tool to do the job.

a simple flat heat screw driver does winders. lol

ErMasta

Dave1320 wrote:P.S. The Nissan Rogue reflector housing is designed to not glare because they do have a factory HID option. We've all seen cars with headligths not designed for HIDs....they can be quite bright and annoying!

Sorry but no...The factory housing (reflector)for the HID is different from the regular non hid housing. You will still have glare. I think someone here already posted pics of the both housings side by side.

Myself and some here actually bought the HID housing to have that awesome cut-off and not blind the on coming traffic. But at the end is all up what you are willing to spend and your preferance.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

ErMasta wrote:Myself and some here actually bought the HID housing to have that awesome cut-off and not blind the on coming traffic. But at the end is all up what you are willing to spend and your preferance.
its rarely ever you will get a really awesome cut-off without a projector headlight. even my stock HID Rogue's headlights is "Mehh" when it comes to cut-off lines in the light beam upon a wall.
i have worked on both, even installed 350z headlight projector into a non-projector suzuki gsxr600 headlight, and only then did it have that awesome cut-off.

Dave1320

ErMasta wrote:
Dave1320 wrote:P.S. The Nissan Rogue reflector housing is designed to not glare because they do have a factory HID option. We've all seen cars with headligths not designed for HIDs....they can be quite bright and annoying!

Sorry but no...The factory housing (reflector)for the HID is different from the regular non hid housing. You will still have glare. I think someone here already posted pics of the both housings side by side.

Myself and some here actually bought the HID housing to have that awesome cut-off and not blind the on coming traffic. But at the end is all up what you are willing to spend and your preferance.
when you say hid housing, so you're saying you bought the headlights that came with the Rogues with factory hid?

after installing my hids (4300k 35w), the output was practically the same as the stock halogens, i installed them for the satisfaction of saving money over factory option

i see and drive tons of rogues at work...hid..non hid... the light output is really not impressive just as Stricken says
just my .02

ErMasta

ImStricken wrote:
ErMasta wrote:Myself and some here actually bought the HID housing to have that awesome cut-off and not blind the on coming traffic. But at the end is all up what you are willing to spend and your preferance.
its rarely ever you will get a really awesome cut-off without a projector headlight. even my stock HID Rogue's headlights is "Mehh" when it comes to cut-off lines in the light beam upon a wall.
i have worked on both, even installed 350z headlight projector into a non-projector suzuki gsxr600 headlight, and only then did it have that awesome cut-off.
Granted I went to far with the (awesome) cut off but i was comparing the hid housing to the normal housing. Its night and day. I compared the light out put against the wall and i can see a straight cut off......

You should had gone with the Morimotto's on your bike....s2000 projectors are consider to be one of the top projectors out there but they are expensive.

ErMasta

@ Dave,

Sorry for some reason i cant quote your post....

Yes, they are cheaper than you think. The housing is the same just the reflector are diferrent.

Is your money so you do what you got to do but do understand that you are blinding the oncoming traffic with the PNP kits...You could had gone minis aswell and have a better product.

If you do not see a difference between regular halogen and your hid kit then you bought and inferior product. You should had gone with TRS....

I have 4300 and they are bright white not yellow output from halogens...weird dude.

BTW: sorry guys i am not really active on these forums as much as i would like with work and crap. I just came back today...

Jostudly
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

Are 55w hid's too much power for the Rogue? They are suppose to be much brighter then the 35w. I am looking at 4300-5000k white light for my low beams.

Leo2005

55w is ok but can harm the headlight if you going to drive with them for too long because they heat more. As for power question you'll be required to run relay from the battery as stable source for the ballasts. Usually all the harness and manual is included with the purchase of the right kit.

vidin
Car: 09 rogue s type awd

any pics of the stock hl with hids?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

BOUGHT & INSTALLED THE MORIMOTO 35WATT / 4500K HID KIT FROM THERETROFITSOURCE.COM AND WOOOW! the build of this kit is superb. the light output is incredible compared to the compeition. in fact, on the install video i will include a comparison between an ebay kit (6000k) and this kit (4500k) and the light pattern against a wall, will scream volumes.

HERE IS THE UNBOXING & SNEAK-PEEK AT THE END:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwu69AkCz04[/youtube]

Karona
Car: '99 Infiniti QX4 (R.I.P)
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Wasn't sure if it was better to revive an old thread or create a new one. But I wanted to post some pictures of how HID bulb light looks through the Halogen housing and figured this would be an ideal thread due to also touching upon the installation process.

So here's the difference during the day, between 6000k HIDs and stock halogens on the 2008 Rogue.

This is the beam pattern on the ground (with stock, halogen foglights on)

This image sort of displays that even with the halogen housing, it manages to retain a decent cut off (I haven't found a decent time and place to check it up against a wall but maybe I'll post an update for anyone interested in the future.)

Beam pattern with halogen highbeam/drl pulb

Return to “Rogue Forum”