How to install HID's through the wheel well. (DIY w/pics)

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
generic808
Car: 08 Infiniti G35S
10 Infiniti EX35

So I finally get around to making this little how-to on the HID's. Sorry guys for taking so long and thanks for your patience. I had to redo the wiring on the ballasts and now they're up and running. I posted pics of the finished product in another thread (an end to the HID saga) so check them out.

X-Light H11 5000K

First, always disconnect the negative terminal of the battery when working with power

Remove wheels. Always chock your back tires for safety.

Underneath the bumper, there are 3 screws on each side which need to be removed. Not the clips, just the screws.

Inside the well, you'll find about 8-9 clips that have to be removed. Remove by using flathead screwdriver and wedging the pins up, once exposed, pull out.

Carefully pull out wheel lining (2 pieces) exposing the space behind the headlight housing.

This is what you'll see at this point.

Remove stock bulb by disconnecting harness and twisting counter-clockwise, making sure NOT to touch the bulb in case you need to use it again.

Put new HID bulb in place by inserting and twisting clockwise until it locks in place.

Connect harness to new bulb.

Now connect bulbs to ballasts.

Find a place to mount the ballasts.

At this point I was rushing because the rain started coming again. I forgot to take a pic of my mount point on the passenger side. I used two existing holes in the frame where I ran wire ties through. Tied the mounting plate against the frame and that was it. The pic above is where I mounted the driver's side. It's on the frame also; I just used ties. Thought about drilling holes to mount is solidly, but the rain was coming down so I rushed and just tied it. Don't mind the messy wires. I just took a pic of where I was mounting, then I cleaned it up with ties.

Just reverse the process with the shield, clips and screws. After putting everything back, mount wheel and lower the car. Reconnect the battery terminal and there you go

Well, that's about it. Easy, huh? Again, sorry I took so long to make this how-to. I hope it'll help some of you guys out. I just wanted to do this because I believe it is the quickest, easiest way to install HID's on the Alitima. I took my bumper apart last week, but this just goes to show you that it isn't necessary. Let me know if you have any questions.

-eric

*edit: Just a couple of pics so you can see the finished product.

Passenger side with HID and driver side with stock bulb. Just to show you guys the difference in color between the two. Can't really tell because it was broad daylight, but just to give you an idea.

Diamond white

The lights are blue for the first 15-20 seconds after firing up. Then they brighten to a nice white.

jasonMA

great job!

SHIFT_COUPE
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD

Very nice Eric! I'll turn this into a How-To for our article page

SHIFT_2.5S
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S

Very nice. I recall you saying that I won't need to remove my wheels, right? Once again, great pictures and walk through.

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

yeah... just get one of those scopes they do surgery with... lol..i think the wheel needs to come off man.. unless you take the bumper off instead lol

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

SHIFT_2.5S wrote:Very nice. I recall you saying that I won't need to remove my wheels, right? Once again, great pictures and walk through.
No, I'd highly recommend wheel removal. Another guy on the forum did it without wheel removal, but I would recommend doing it because of the needed space. You really need to get in there when trying to reach the bulbs. I wouldn't want to be cramped for space and accidently touch my bulbs when trying to squeeze them in there. And besides, you can do your oil change at the same time. When installing the passenger side, your car is set up perfectly for an oil change. Kill two birds with one stone

SHIFT_2.5S

I'm not an expert at removing wheels and such, and won't be able to lift my car.

Shift_Perfection
Car: Altima Coupe 2.5s 6MT

what happens if u touch the stock bulbs?

SHIFT_COUPE

Shift_Perfection wrote:what happens if u touch the stock bulbs?
If you touch any headlight bulb, the oils from your skin get on it and the lifetime of the bulb may decrease. HID or halogen.

nismofool
Car: Nissan Altima Coupe '08 3.5SE

thank you eric for the brilliant/simplicity of your step by step directions and pictures to follow, lots of help! lookin forward to doin this soon myself!

josiskrazy
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe

very cool, thanx for the guide...

that last picture makes your car look like its sittin on 3s.

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

josiskrazy wrote:very cool, thanx for the guide...

that last picture makes your car look like its sittin on 3s.
I know, it was raining when I was taking pics so I just parked the car wherever, not realizing I ended up on a storm drain

BlackNWhite
Car: 08 Altima Coupe

Sorry if this is a supid question... but what do the ballasts connect to, if anything...

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

The ballast runs between the factory harness and the HID bulbs. It's a little box/device that is required to control the starting and operating voltages of electrical gas discharge lights.

D-Roll
Car: 08 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe

Good write up mang! My HID's are on their way

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

generic808 wrote:The ballast runs between the factory harness and the HID bulbs. It's a little box/device that is required to control the starting and operating voltages of electrical gas discharge lights.
Oh, sorry. I thought you had installed them already? My bad

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

D R I V I N G __I M P R E S S I O N S :

As with everything, I always give my driving impressions. I must say, these lights are absolutely fantabulous! I lined up my car next to my gf's car which has Sylvania SilverStars and there is NO comparison!! I always thought SS were a pretty decent, white halogen bulb. In fact, I'd say they are the best halogen's available. But, compared to the HID's side-by-side, it's like night and day.

When first firing up, the light is pretty dim and very blue. After about 15-20 seconds, they reach full brightness; it's a nice diamond white with a very, very slight blue hue. It's EXACTLY how I wanted them because I personally hate cars driving around with those 7000K+ blue lights. It gets pretty irritating to me.

The road is lit up like never before. Even on a congested freeway with at least 30-40 cars around me, they stand out. I would flick them off and on and it's suprising what they light up. EVERY SINGLE road reflector up to 1/8 mile ahead is illuminated. All road signs up to 1/8 mile is reflecting right back at me, very brightly. The light cuts through rain like knife through soft butter. It's simply amazing! And the best part? It doesn't blind other drivers. I followed my gf home for 15 miles and she said it didn't blind her at all. She said it seemed like her headlights weren't even on because mine lit up the world.

Anyways, enough praising the HID's. I think everyone should get them for their cars. Not only for the awesome look, but for the safety factor. I'm sure no one will miss my car from now on Bad vision in heavy rains? A thing of the past.

SHIFT_2.5S

I'm ready to buy, but I am not an expert at removing my wheel and don't know if I can get this done by myself in my garage.

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

If you can't do it yourself, have a friend help you out. If you take it to a shop, be sure to tell them to go through the well because it is the quickest way; they charge labor by the hour, so you don't want to end up spending too much for installation. Hourly labor rates are usually $80-$100 and it should only take an hour, so anything more than that would be a rip. If I lived near you, I would've helped you out. Well, I still can if you want to ship your car here Good luck.

SHIFT_COUPE

Eric, I added your writeup to the article page.

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=294364

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Cool. Thanks Tyler!

rjdmmfl1
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe, Radiant Silver, 3.5SE, Premium Package, VDC

Eric, great write up... I have stock HID's on my car, but I'm gonna put these on my wife's...thank my dude!

rjdmmfl1

Eric, I have a question, you never really told us what happened with the wiring! What's going on with that? What did you have to do to make them work? That's critical info that we all need if we're gonna get these lights!

SHIFT_2.5S

Eric, I'm shipping my car out to you next week. Please take good care of it.

Perhaps you can take a vacation to LA.

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

rjdmmfl1 wrote:Eric, I have a question, you never really told us what happened with the wiring! What's going on with that? What did you have to do to make them work? That's critical info that we all need if we're gonna get these lights!
The way the harness connected to the factory harness was backwards--heard this was a common theme with aftermarket kits--so I just cut them off and rewired. Because of the clips on the harness, it didn't allow me to just reverse them. All is good to go now. I don't know if all are wired this way, or I just got a dud. But like I said above, the kit is of good quality and if I had to buy again, I definitely would go the same route.

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

SHIFT_2.5S wrote:Eric, I'm shipping my car out to you next week. Please take good care of it.

Perhaps you can take a vacation to LA.
Bad timing I guess. After I moved back from LA, I would visit there every single month. The reason I came back home is because I got homesick. And now I miss LA. Kind of wish I never left Oh well, everything happens for a reason, right?

But yeah, if you don't have them installed by the next time I fly there, I'll be more than happy to help you out.

SHIFT_2.5S

I might just end up buying the kit and waiting for you to visit. I can give it a show by myself but I don't have anything to raise my car so that I can actually remove the wheels with a torque wrench for easy access.

rjdmmfl1

Shift, you can go to autozone or discount auto parts, or Kragen, or Wal-Mart for that matter and get a 2-ton car jack lift system for about 50.00! I think these are a must have for any car enthusiast!

SHIFT_2.5S

rjdmmfl1 wrote:Shift, you can go to autozone or discount auto parts, or Kragen, or Wal-Mart for that matter and get a 2-ton car jack lift system for about 50.00! I think these are a must have for any car enthusiast!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I never lift my car and don't want to fork out an additional $50 just to install HIDs. I'll think of something...

rjdmmfl1

I feel ya, I never had one, until I started doing almost all of my own installs...I've literally saved multiple thousands of dollars over the years by doing my own installs...

Like the Avic-D3 install and all of it's features and accessories, they wanted 1400.00 for everything... I did almost everything myself, and now I only have to pay $200.00 for them to do both rear monitors

Return to “Altima General Discussions”