How to idiot proof my 2016 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

So, yesterday, while I was driving for work, I left my Rogue in gear twice within one hour with the e-brake on, and went to deliver to customers, when I realized my Rogue was moving. There was no warning when I leave the door open with the car in gear. I also have an Acura in the garage, which is basically a Honda, where the car will immediately shift to park when the door is open.

Is there any way I can add an additional feature that will make sure it will alert me that the car is in gear?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If the park mechanism in trans works simply quit using the e-brake. I know you are supposed to use them but I haven't in 45+ years and I have parked on a steep hill for almost 40 of those years. Zero issues.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

datechboss101 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:04 pm

Is there any way I can add an additional feature that will make sure it will alert me that the car is in gear?
1. Engage brain.
2. See #1.

Aside from the gear indicator Letter in the dash, and the physical position of the Gear shift knob?
Both of those are visible indicators.

Aside form those, basic operator safety of always putting the car in Park whenever you get out of it?
Only getting out of a car with the engine running if the transmission was either in Neutral(manual) or Park(Auto) is something that most of us learned to do by age 14-15. It's purely instinctive and is done without even thinking about it.

Relying less on technology and more on your own driving skills and awareness will make you a safer driver. Both for yourself and everyone else around you.

datechboss101

amc49 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:55 pm
If the park mechanism in trans works simply quit using the e-brake. I know you are supposed to use them but I haven't in 45+ years and I have parked on a steep hill for almost 40 of those years. Zero issues.
I'm gonna be getting a manual transmission vehicle as my weekend car, cause CVTs and Automatics are boring!
Lone Wolff wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:44 am
datechboss101 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:04 pm

1. Engage brain.
2. See #1.

Aside from the gear indicator Letter in the dash, and the physical position of the Gear shift knob?
Both of those are visible indicators.

Aside form those, basic operator safety of always putting the car in Park whenever you get out of it?
Only getting out of a car with the engine running if the transmission was either in Neutral(manual) or Park(Auto) is something that most of us learned to do by age 14-15. It's purely instinctive and is done without even thinking about it.

Relying less on technology and more on your own driving skills and awareness will make you a safer driver. Both for yourself and everyone else around you.
This was the first time in 3 years of driving that happened to me, and I just don't want to have it happen to me. I even thought that I put the car into park, and my left leg always engages the e-brake right after I shift to park.

And I thought you were gonna have more points referring to point number 1 :rotfl

macgiver

A crafty electrician who knows what they're doing ought to be able to use the "neutral safety SW" system's circuit to enable a very noticeable LED/ Lamp showing car is "NOT in N or PK" or conversely "IN N or PK".
Properly fused and most likely utilizing a relay for proper logical "option" & control AND ckt separation. :yesnod

datechboss101

Now whenever I park my Rogue, I make sure it doesn't roll even when its off. I even double check the position of the gear lever to see what gear its in before I shut off the Rogue. And now when the car moves a bit after I put it in park, it gives me a panic attack after going through those two incidents.

Karona
Car: '99 Infiniti QX4 (R.I.P)
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

This sounds like a difficult project, but an interesting one! Please post your attempts :) Though I'll admit, you're better off getting into the habit of just checking if your vehicle is in park...

Although in 10 years, kids won't know about putting vehicles in gear/park, or even how to drive but be operating these machines. Sad reality, I think I just need to accept the times. If it's a deal breaker you might be better off just looking for a vehicle with that mechanism in place already..

datechboss101

Karona wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 pm
This sounds like a difficult project, but an interesting one! Please post your attempts :) Though I'll admit, you're better off getting into the habit of just checking if your vehicle is in park...

Although in 10 years, kids won't know about putting vehicles in gear/park, or even how to drive but be operating these machines. Sad reality, I think I just need to accept the times. If it's a deal breaker you might be better off just looking for a vehicle with that mechanism in place already..
I swear, we need to go back to cars with actual keys! Those things are bulletproof and come as idiot proof directly from the factory. Originally, this was a great idea on paper for a project, but then I don't got the financial backing to put into this project. Also, I just don't got the monies to drop on a new vehicle, so I am looking for a perfect beater car for my work and will be using the Rogue as my commuter car to and from school, and taking the family.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Aren't you the same guy who just complained about somebody keeping your driver's license for an extended period of time? Your fear of being arrested, yada, yada, yada....

Between this post and that one I think there's something indicated there other than a car that needs some work.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

............................DP

Return to “Rogue Forum”