How to find a competent Infiniti mechanic / technician?

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Laredo
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe

What is the best process for identifying an Infiniti mechanic (technician) who actually understands what he or she is doing?
:bowrofl: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

Laredo

The Po300 random misfire code, just installed a used automatic transmission in a G35 2003 Infinity Coupe. Trying to hang on to it, but not interested in throwing good money after bad in addition to not exploring for good mechanics no offense?
Laredo Thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Typo, deleted.
Last edited by VStar650CL on Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The best process for separating quality from BS in any profession is the same technique used by any good lawyer in cross examination: Ask relevant questions that you already know the answer to. When you get BS -- next witness.
:nono:

Laredo

The only problem with asking intelligent questions and responding to, what may in fact be absolute BS, is one must have some basic understanding of the problem.
I replaced the #5 coil pack on my G35 Coupe 2003 which is what I was told after being scanned for a misfire.
I installed the NGK coil pack along with a new NGK plug for safety's sake, although I had replaced all plugs along with 2 coil packs only 10,000 miles ago. This other mechanic, which checked it out, pulled a P0300 code and told me I need a complete tune up, and my alternator is also bad, which I had tested and tested fine, so I am somewhat distrusting at this time along with past experiences.
Sorry for the lengthy explanation and thanks for your interest in my issue, just tired of throwing good money after bad, I'm from the old school when honest mechanics weren't so hard to find!
Maybe the cars weren't so complex, so much for marketing!
THANKS AGAIN

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sounds like the engine is "eating" spark coils, so the most fundamental questions is, "Did you check the integrity of my engine grounds?" If the answer is no, next witness.

You may have ground gremlins in general, P0300 means random misfires on different cylinders. When a specific cylinder misfires the ECM throws a specific code, i.e., #5 will throw a P0305. If you're willing to break out a voltmeter, your grounds are something you can check very simply for yourself:
keep-your-engine-on-the-ground-not-just ... 28130.html

I'll also say that changing coils onesey-twosey on an older Nissan product isn't a great idea unless you're certain the brand and part number are identical to what's already in there. Nissans from the early '00's all had feedback protocols for the coils which could cause phantom misfire codes if the parts were mismatched. So the best idea is to stick with the OE type (usually Hanshin), or if replacing with a reputable Japanese type like NGK or Denso, replace all 6.

Vis the alternator, if the car doesn't have starting problems and there's no generator light on the dash, the only right question is, "Why do you say it's bad?" It's possible it's overcharging, but that's also something you can easily check yourself. Your '03 doesn't have a "smart" charging system, so you should read about 14.0V~14.8V across the battery terminals with the engine running (nominal is 14.2V for most Nissan units). It should stay in that range when loaded by the blower and high beams. If so, there's nothing wrong with it electrically, full stop.

Laredo

Thanks for the insight Vstar650CL, never realized it could be so complex!
I feel like I'm learning calculus again of course without the brainpower I once processed!
Thanks for all your knowledge and you definitely satisfied my suspicions as it pertains to my latest diagnostic results, just as I thought.
Thanks Once Again Vstar!
Laredo (TIME TO GO TO WORK)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”