HOW TO DRIFT AN 4WD (AUDI QUATTRO) ?

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
AIV BOY
Car: 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, and was wondering if you nissan guys could give some insight in some drifting techniques for the very few four wheel drive drift enthusiasts out there. I had no luck buying a G35 coupe because it was too expensive. At the time I was really low in my drifting hopes, but then it hit me. I've seen Evo's in Japan drift, and I also saw a video from the multimedia forum that showed an STi getting sideways. That got my hopes way back up there. I know it can happen. I just need you very knowledgeable Nissan guys to help me out. Keep in mind that Audi's do have the E.S.P. ( Electronic, Stability, Control) which I can easily disengage with a push of a button. I haven't really tried anything myself, just some donoughts, no real drift action. My friend pulled the e-brake on it and claimed that he drifted, but I didn't see it. I appreciate the help that I can get, and the respect for a fellow drift enthusiast, nissan or no nissan. Thanks alot! Remember to keep it Slideways!

-Byron

Modified by AIV BOY at 4:58 PM 10/5/2004
Modified by AIV BOY at 4:59 PM 10/5/2004

corn322
Car: 1993 240sx

get some old window washer nozzels, tubing, fluid container and the pump. rig up a system that will spray soapy water right in front of your rear tires.

no, I'm just kidding. don't do that.

from what I hear using the e-brake on AWD cars ain't too good for the center differential.

Zyphar
Car: 91 S13 5spd ! Stock, well almost stock.

hmm but what if u have the clutch in like a RWD (assuming its manual) ?

nissandrift
Car: BMX, motorcycles, classic mopars, and nissans

Its like oversteer in a Front wheel drive, you'll need tons of speed and weight transfer.....or tons of power.

AIV BOY

so what exactly are you guys trying to tell me? Yes the car is stick, its a six speed.

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

Which model Audi? There are 2 types of AWD systems offered by Audi...one will get you nowhere fast if you're trying to drift.

AIV BOY

OKAY this is what I got

2004 AUDI A4 1.8TQuattrosix speed manual transmission

um yeah thats it, oh yeah did I mentiont that my rear brakes suck. I have to pull the e-brake all the way to keep the car from rolling away. ONe time I didn't pull it that tight and it rolled down my driveway and luckily got stuck at the dip at the end of the driveway. yeah thats it. SO NISSAN GUYS HELP ME OUT, I KNOW I CAN DO IT.

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

Well you're lucky...i didn't know if Audi was still stuffing Haldex AWD systems in any of their current US cars so I had to check.

Anyway, I'm still not 100% about your awd system...I know you have a torsen center differential which is good, but I'm not sure what kinds of front and rear diffs they have.

Either way, your car is heavy, you don't have much power, and you have AWD. Drifting on asphault will be tough for you no matter what. Honestly, I'd get a cheap project car (is there really such a thing) if you want to drift...if you're determined to use your car, attend a local event and use the same techniques we all do. You'll probably just end up understeering a lot, but I've never driven your car so I can't really say. I'd be weary of clutch kicking though since your transmission will probably hate you if you do.

silkk
Car: 94 B13, 89 S13, 07 S2000

Wait for rain!

sil80drifter
Car: 1990 240SX Hatch

corn322 AHEMI had the windshield spray system on my car for one wheels only for about 6 months now, befor eI got an LSD, since my rear right tire would spin but my rear left wouldn't with the stock diff. worked like a charm, car would get sideway,s stay sideway and be sideways until the fluid ran out which would only happen after an hour of drifting/ with an LSD I have it sprayign both tires, until I got a turbo. because I didn't have enough power to drift in the dry. also worked like a charm. Some ghetto ideas are really not as bad as you think until you try them. I've gotten proficient at keepign the car sideways and not panicking when somethign went wrong, because I was first drifting at very low speeds, and as I progressed onto turboign , at higher speeds. Worked for me.

sil80

getnrowdy23
Car: '95 sr20det 240sx se/2004 suzuki sv650s

watch the "Drift Bible" he shows how to do it in there. it is an hour and 16 minutes or drifting, but he goes thru 6 ways to drift in every kind of car. im sure most people here have a copy of it. if you cant find it email me i can give it to you. welcome.
Modified by getnrowdy23 at 9:05 PM 10/28/2004

MainEvent212

grow up junior, you cant drift a stock 1.8T A4 without tearing it to pieces in the process. give up your hopes, you arent gonna drift it, just treat it like a econo-luxury car is supposed to be treated. i have a mini cooper S, you dont see me trying to drift that do you? that's what the 240 is for, get one and then go for it

AIV BOY

who the **** are you calling junior, your the one with a front wheel drive ***** car. Talk to me when you get a real car, not some craker jack piece of ****....I will drift my car, and when I do, you won't ever compare your wanna be luxury car, with my econo-luxury drift machine.....quit playing with toys, get a real car junior...

Us13
Car: 90 s13 coupe

my friend has an quattro, he can drift his he just holds in the clutch and e brakes its, sounds like you need yours titened, ( that cant be spelled right?) but i drove it on a dirt road and drifted it fine without even touching the brake, just depends on the driver i guess, snows fun to, (in any car.lol)

5upra
Car: S197

AIV BOY- to drift an AWD you must have lots of speed and remember that it Pulls like a front wheel drive and can push like a rear wheel drive...I suggest using alot of weight transfer from side to side and start counter steer fairly early but not to much...to keep it sideways in a lengthy drift you might have to come out of counter steer and steer into the turn more...but be carful cause you are going to have to have alot of speed..........LOWERING helps alot also!

DriftbodyPU
Car: 1990 Nissan Hardbody PU

It is possible to drift an AWD like a RWD. Has anybody seen BMI's Skyline The prodigy? 1st-u need a lighter weight car2nd-must know how to transfer wieght to the front3rd-a powerful enough engine and tranny to keep the wheels spinning4th-Heel and Toe is the way to go!

DriftbodyPU
Car: 1990 Nissan Hardbody PU

oh yeah, a stiffer suspension, as well, sorry but for every gain there's pain. especially in the lower back area

InsanityInc

It's almost impossible to drift an AWD car on pavement. The quattro system is basically designed to stop you from drifting (as soon as the rear starts losing traction, it takes away power so it gets traction back). The only real way to drift an AWD car is on some non-pavement surface (or wet pavement, but it has to be pretty wet).

MainEvent212

AIV BOY wrote:who the **** are you calling junior, your the one with a front wheel drive ***** car. Talk to me when you get a real car, not some craker jack piece of ****....I will drift my car, and when I do, you won't ever compare your wanna be luxury car, with my econo-luxury drift machine.....quit playing with toys, get a real car junior...
oh poor boy...you have no idea what you're talking about

the 240sx is RWD...mine in particular has a 2.0 turbo motor (read bigger and more powerful then yours)

my car weighs in at around 2800 lbs and close to 250 RWHP...and this is what i drive for fun

i ALSO have a daily driver, 2002 mini cooper S...which if i'm not mistaken is fully loaded w/ BMW leather, supercharged 1.6L w/ 6 speed MT. so...recap? BOTH of my CARS are better then your mom's audi quattro...

/yourself now you wannabe drifter. you're the biggest tool that shoulda never come to nico. leave and come back when you figure out how to handle ANY CAR...

JUNIOR

[Zero-S]
Car: Tell me whats wrong with this picture. 3 240's, only one runs.

Owned.

warrendrivesacrx
Car: 95 toyota supra , 89 crx zc turbo , 91 crx SI 309,000 miles , audi a4 , and new 1990 240 se fast bac

nothing like making my first post on this forum in a thred with a fight . now having said that .I own several cars one of which is a audi A4 1.8 quattro 5 speed 99.5 . which is a different chassie that his but the same rules apply .

first off you need to chip your a4 as the first mod makes it go from 170 fwhp to 208 dyno HP with no supporting mods ....now that you have more power you need to know which package you have on your audi. all a4's have factory torsen centers with quattro system but the sport package has a factory torsen rear and open front with esp . with the esp off it is still very hard to drift a quattro sport even in the rain. now if you still want ot continue on this foolish quest. get a biger after market rear sway bar. and dial in some negative camber on the front wheels (the b5 audi a4 can do -2.4 degrees of camber on the fronts factory )this is the same principal as drifting a front wheel car .with this setup its will be easyer to "drift " a quattro audi but its going to require a lot of trial and error and learning how to transfer the weight very well. Speed will help or do what I and main event have done and gone out and gotten the ideal setup for a drifter front engine rear drive ..i jsut got a 1990 240 SE 5speed on egay for 900 bucks (runs but had leaky fuel injectors and bad paint like all old 240's) at 900 bucks i can drift the hell out of that car break it and then get in the audi and drive to parts store (read=local junk yard)

wow this post got long quick . to sum it all up with the parts need to make your audi "possible "(not good but possible ) to drift (aprox 1200--1600 bucks) it would be smarter to just buy a older used 240 or miata or fox body. the audi is a good car and with a chip will be a better car but a drift car i dont think it makes any sence at all.

p.s. i have drifted my audi 2 times once it was hydro planing off an exit ramp (dosent count and was very scarry) and the other was a 90 degree turn on a back country road in the rain at high speed (40-50 ). now this goes agint every thing i have said b4 but it was fun and very controlable. lucky for me it was later at night and no one was on the road i ended up in the on comming lane .

panzerdivisionx

AIV BOY wrote:OKAY this is what I got

2004 AUDI A4 1.8TQuattro
sell that thing

buy this now

Luke

lol, why would you put BOY in your username yet you would get offended when someone calls you Junior.

accel junky

Lots of power. My friend with an '04 STi has gotten sideways on dry pavement but that required 300hp and crappy winter tires.

KDashy
Car: 97' 240sx

Heeeeey...he lives in eagle rock...so do I

Eagle rock is only a few square miles big....

Word on the street is you went to St. Francis

MainEvent212

soudns like he's not coming back

what a douche bag

sleepyRPS13
Car: to sleep

i dont know about a4's drifting but evos can drift like gods. some evos have ayc that can control L/R rear wheels can increase also oversteer. also read gtr or evo you can buy a electronic torquesplit controllers so you can adjust it more like a rwd. its no wonder awd isnt allowed in d1, technology rules

i d/l jun evo drifting (long time ago) it was very composed on long drifts, like it can go on forever plus exist speed must be super quick also. i think you can still find them at exvitermini (i dunno if those are the ones i saw). damn i just sweat that car ;T

MainEvent212

yeah, they can drift like that because they've got like 600 horsepower, suspension as well as EVERYTHIGN else made to drift in those cars

lofapoo
Car: Toyota sedan

AIV BOY wrote:who the **** are you calling junior, your the one with a front wheel drive ***** car. Talk to me when you get a real car, not some craker jack piece of ****....I will drift my car, and when I do, you won't ever compare your wanna be luxury car, with my econo-luxury drift machine.....quit playing with toys, get a real car junior...
Where the hell did you get FWD out of a 240SX? Last I checked it's no cracker jack piece of poo, and it's RWD... You will NOT drift your car, as its mechanics are designed to KEEP IT from drifting (therefor cannot be considered a drift machine, rookie). You probably have no idea what drifting does damage-wise to your car, so your momma's gonna be pretty pissed when her 20k tranny goes out.

AIV BOY

lofapoo wrote:
Where the hell did you get FWD out of a 240SX? Last I checked it's no cracker jack piece of poo, and it's RWD... You will NOT drift your car, as its mechanics are designed to KEEP IT from drifting (therefor cannot be considered a drift machine, rookie). You probably have no idea what drifting does damage-wise to your car, so your momma's gonna be pretty pissed when her 20k tranny goes out.
I'm talking about his stoopid mini cooper you moron.....and its my 36K tranny that I paid for cash money rookie!!! say something now son!

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”