How To: Clean 3.3L throttle body

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

took some quick pics to share, sorry they didnt turn out too good

Unscrew and pull the intake, clearing the opening

Turn the engine on and spray into the opening while moving the accelerator lever. My engine sputtered to a halt for some reason so i just did this with the engine off. With the engine off, use a rag to wipe the gunk out, mine had alot on the BACK of the gold piece. Clumps of gunk.

while i was at it I installed a new air filter and sprayed the box a little with the throttle body cleaner.

Took it for a hard drive using the gas alot and there was a big improvement. I no longer have a sticky gas pedal and felt a slight improvement in responsiveness and performance overall.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

Nissan Pathfinder / Infiniti QX4 VG33 throttle body cleaning Infiniti Qx4 sticky gas pedal

pathy1217
Car: 97 Pathfinder LE 4X4

Hey Qxxx4, thanks for the info. Just did mine and i can tell a huge difference on acceleration. But is it supposed to idle a little higher?

slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

yea see its easy

that lever you pulled on while spraying has a wire latched to it if you tighten that wire you can get a better response from your pedal if its slack

Mine didn't idle higher check the cable on the pedal lever to make sure its not to tight and actually pulling your pedal down a little

maikan
Car: Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot 1999 VG33E 4wd

I try that but I couldn't keep the engine alive.The mechanic I asked told me That the engine MUST be running while I'm spaying.Is that true ? And If it is how do I keep the engine running. I try to pull the throttle put again and again it didn't do the trick. I must have tried at leasta dozen times.

Mikey178
Car: 2000 Infiniti QX4

Nice post

I haven't done this to my QX4 yet, but from previous experience, if your spraying too much throttle body cleaner you are basically choking the intake, resulting in your engine cutting out. I'd say try spraying until you hear the engine wanting to choke out and stop and wait and spray again.

Pwnin O'Brien

It is not absolutely necessary for the engine to be running while you clean the throttle body. It is actually recommended that for late model vehicles you actually shouldn't spray it in while the vehicle is running because you may throw a MIL and have to reset the ECU.

However, it is also recommended that you spray it in the intake manifold while the vehicle is running so that you can thoroughly clean the intake manifold.

It's a toss-up. I guess tho, if nobody has the MIL after doing it, then it is probably safe.

Like Mikey said, you want to spray it until right before the engine dies, then let the engine regain RPM's then repeat. Repeat until you think the throttle body and intake manifold are clean. Also, if you have a lot of build up on the throttle body door, you will want to spray it with the vehicle off and use some kind of brush to clean the door and surrounding areas.

maikan
Car: Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot 1999 VG33E 4wd

I don't even have the time to spray it in !I start the truck, it run for maybe 5 seconds then die. Each time it did the same thing. I have to run to rhe engine to pull the throttle but nothing to do , even if I am able to pull it it die anyway. I replace the rubber thing start it and run like new again.So I can spray with engine off. This can save me a lot a fooling around.Thanks for your response

Qxxx4

QUOTE=maikan]I don't even have the time to spray it in !I start the truck, it run for maybe 5 seconds then die. Each time it did the same thing. I have to run to rhe engine to pull the throttle but nothing to do , even if I am able to pull it it die anyway. I replace the rubber thing start it and run like new again.So I can spray with engine off. This can save me a lot a fooling around.Thanks for your response[/QUOTE]

mine stalled right away, so i just did it with engine off too

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

Brian thanks for this bro! I did it yesterday and my acceleration seemed to be a little better this morning. I'm not sure if it was the cleaning or better combustion from the chilling 66 degree outside temp.

Billy

Qxxx4

haha thanks, I try to document everything I do and share with everyone, even if its as simple as this. I appreciate the help from the more tough things that members provide so this is the least I can do to return the favour to the community and hopefully help others out/give them an idea on how to do stuff

mott6904
Car: rb20 big turbo big cams s13, 97 kouki, turbo audi a4,turbo busa

You cant do this serivce with the engine running. The intake tube is off and the maf is not reading anything.

Qxxx4

mott6904 wrote:You cant do this serivce with the engine running. The intake tube is off and the maf is not reading anything.
yep your right. i tried without it and my engine didnt do anything

01silvapathy
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 3.5

Is there any difference for the VQ?

Pwnin O'Brien

01silvapathy wrote:Is there any difference for the VQ?
Nope, the cleaning procedure is pretty much the same for all throttle bodies. For the mechanical TB's (pre 2003) you may want to unplug any sensors while cleaning it (of course, with the engine off) just to ensure they aren't energized. For the throttle-by-wire R50's (2003 and 2004) you want to unplug the throttle butterfly actuator before cleaning and be gentle with the butterfly as some have reported that cleaning the TB can damage the TB, resulting in replacement.

01silvapathy
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 3.5

Pwnin O’Brien wrote:
Nope, the cleaning procedure is pretty much the same for all throttle bodies. For the mechanical TB's (pre 2003) you may want to unplug any sensors while cleaning it (of course, with the engine off) just to ensure they aren't energized. For the throttle-by-wire R50's (2003 and 2004) you want to unplug the throttle butterfly actuator before cleaning and be gentle with the butterfly as some have reported that cleaning the TB can damage the TB, resulting in replacement.
Will do, b12 and a rag should do the trick

BoostMyQX4
Car: 96 Infiniti QX4

So i cleaned the Throttle Body, it was nasty.....but now is running at 1000 rpm and running rough.
I didnt do anything else other then to clean the Throttle body, i need some help here, what did i do wrong??

Qxxx4

Check that you didn't accidentally unplug any electronics like your mass air flow sensor

BoostMyQX4
Car: 96 Infiniti QX4

Yes i did unplugged it to clean it as well but i connected it before staring the car.
See this is what the throttle body looks like after being cleaned, it was nasty, i want to do the manifold but that's another day sometime ahead in the summer.

Before

After

Is this piece supposed to move in the Throttle Body at all?

Because the one in my QX4 is not moving at all it looks as if it was seized.

ARKQX33V6

Cleaning TB whether by wire or cable, shut down the engine, cold or at temp, but a colder engine is easier work on.

Place a rag under the intake horn after removing conduits, DO NOT TOUCH MAF

Use only a cleaner carb or TB safe for O2 sensors.

Do the cleaning just before an oil change.

Tools: a long handles tooth brush, a can pray of Carb/TB cleaner with a tube to reach deep and direct the spray. Compressed air or good lungs

If your throttle plate is fouled with carbon and intake is darkened with carbon, you are not cleaning the TB soon enough.

All off, open throttle plate to 90 degrees and spray a lot into and deep into the body, then the plate and surrounding internal horn.

Spray the toothbrush and gently in a circular motion clean the throttle plate front/back and clean the mating surfaces around the horn.

Re-spray the complete internal body, leave the throttle plate to close gently.

You will see black liquid running into the rag.

Now spray the external linkages with a light spraying of the cleaner.

Blow off the cleaner from the external linkages

Now start the engine to suck that cleaner a little deeply, do not run longer than 5 seconds, all off

Re spray internally and let sit 10 minutes

While waiting check the battery electrolyte

After about 10 minutes start the engine. You may have to give it gas, let idle let warm up, when warm idle should be about 750 RPM

If throttle was very dirty likely the IAC internally is plugged or partially plugged, so clean it. The EGR will be fouled if the throttle was dirty.

EGR often can be cleaned by using a small hammer and gently tapping the EGR and then rev the engine a bit and let idle down again.

If you cannot clean the IAC nor the EGR on the engine, they will have to be removed, diss-assembled and soaked with solvent.

s199810
Car: QX4 99

want to post two pictures but not successful. For those cannot keep the engine running, that's because you opened the air intake from the throttle body so the MAF sensor (mass air flow) cannot detect any air flow in the air intake (the big black hose) so the ening dies quickly after you start the engine. Mine is Qx4 99. Let's do a test, open the air intake like the 2nd picture above but block the black hose (the elbow), the engine will keep running after you start it. So, 1. if air hose is seperated from the throttle body, engine will die. 2 if the small air hose (the first small branch hose from filter box, about 1" diamter, it leads to IAC-idle air control) is the only one opened, engine will die also.3. if the MAF sensor is the only one removed, engine will die also. All 1, 2, 3 above are because MAF detectes no air flow.

Don't bother to clean the throttle body completely or whereever you can see the black gunk. I just cleaned the area which stuck the butterfly valve plate, that's what the problem is. For other carbon deposit gunk, leave as it is, or clean if you want. You need to know you can clean whereever you can reach, what about the other area you cannot see and reach? The engine is designed to work in this condition, if there is too much dirts inside and engine stop running, it's time you change the car.
[img]<iframe%20src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=913 ... "></iframe>[/img]

PBmamaRae
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder 6 cyl

Awesome! Thanks for the great how to! I've been having some issues & needed to do this. Pictures are helpful. :)

Leonardo Vitangui
Car: 2005 Nissan Pathfinder

My Nissan pathfinder 2005, the acceleration just stays in 1, I doesn’t goes up even if I put the pedal down.

Before this happening I was notating that the car was getting slow “ which was not normal”.

I’ve consult some guys and they told me that is I have to change the oil and filter of the gear box. I changed and still the same. I’ve also been advised to clean or change the exhaust catalyst, but it still the same.

Whenever I start the engine, it runs, but the acceleration manometer never goes up from 1.. “it stays still an 1” even if I accelerate deep.

Please advise, me what should I do?

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Welcome to NICO.

How many miles are on your Pathfinder? Is your "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" lamp illuminated, or any other warning lamp?

Davis4ChristNY
Car: 97Pathfinder 3.3l

Ok I came to this forum for some help on a throttle/idling issue. Some times my throttle upon startup, will not go to the floor without a hard kick. Also, the engine is idling very high in park, neutral and even at times when in drive. Just 15 minutes ago I was driving and was coasting in drive at a constant 30 mph with the rpm's at 1500. Is this a cable issue? Cause I thought if you kick the gas a little it will sometimes free up the cable issue, and perhaps it happens over and over... However, kicking the accelerator does not help at all. TO make things worse it does not always idle high, or run high... Only sometimes. Could this be a throttle body issue, and if I clean it like you guys are talking about here, do you think it will fix it? I do not have the money to replace the throttle body. I already did a tune up on the thing last week thinking it was a timing issue... I have heard that some vehicles have issues with idling weird if there are air bubbles in the radiator, is this true? Because my over flow coolant reservoir is broken from when I was rear ended about a year ago. To make matters worse on that issue, I have lots of rust issues on the front to where I am not sure if I take off the bumper to replace the reservoir, I will be able to replace the bumper etc... Please help! I am pretty mechanically inclined and know a bit about cars, but I am seeking help here.

Davis4ChristNY

Ok so I just took off the intake to the throttle body, without it on the engine dies... Is this normal, because the sensor is before the throttle body, and should read its getting air in order to run? Even with holding the throttle open and having someone start the thing it dies...

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

You should clean the throttle body with the engine off. You can also clean the MAF sensor, but use MAF cleaner spray only.

Do you have any engine codes?

Davis4ChristNY

Ok I just read the reply about the MAF and that is what I thought. So I will try and see if this will help by cleaning the plate. Thanks for posting. It does not seem like a cable issue because they seem to be tight, and not too tight with plenty of responsiveness when pressed down...

KellyBoston
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL

2001 Infiniti QX4

I didn't want to purchase "both" crc throttle body cleaner, and crc maf sensor cleaner, so I just purchased the crc maf sensor cleaner. This worked well on my throttle body,may just need to hit the dirtier spots twice. Save yourself the $5.99..lord knows we all need it for gas in our QX4's!!

Davis4ChristNY

I have a code and its for a coolant sensor, thermostat error, etc... I just replaced the thermostat and thought it was def the problem... The Throttle body looks pretty clean and did not clean it. I will eventually if I keep the vehicle, but this idle issue is being a pain in the balls. Its wasting so much gas its not funny. I am trying to fix it myself, as I don't have the money to send it to the dealer/service department. There is only 150,000 ish on the vehicle, and other than the high idle, the thing is a great runner. Purrs like a kitten with the k&n airfilter and new exhaust on her. Would be a shame if I cant figure this out without dumping tons of money into it... Cosmetically she is not the best looking with rust and such being in NY, but other than that, some rear suspension, evap and egr codes popping up, and two gas hoses needing replaced by the tank and rear canister, she is a great vehicle. Oh and the driver side front window needs help getting all the way up and still leaks some moisture in and the speakers crackle until the moisture is shaken off them... Haha

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”