How to Bypass Video on a 2008 G35...

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
mikey7182

This is my first post here, but after searching many G35/Infiniti forums for answers to this question, I noticed that everyone else was curious how to do it as well, so I figured it out, and am posting my findings here. I haven't read through the forum rules, so hopefully this doesn't violate anything. If it does, I apologize. Let me state that this is simply how I DID IT, and am not making any promises as to the voiding of factory warranties, etc. Essentially, try this at your own risk. This was not my car, but a friend's who asked me to help him with an install. I am posting those pics here. Threads such as the following one are what prompted me to post:

zerothread/331122

With that said, I have had it this way for a week with no problems. I have an aftermarket DVD player feeding the A/V input in the center console. The car does not have Nav; just the stock monitor. The problem that has to be overcome is 2 parts. First, the E-Brake signal has to be grounded. That's pretty common. I located the wire in the back of the harness and grounded it. But once I got above 4 mph, just like others who have done the E-Brake ground, my video shut off. So obviously there was a speed sense wire somewhere as well. Well, I took the dash back apart and located the speed sense wire. Conveniently, it was right next to the E-Brake ground! Here is a picture of the harness:

As you can see in the pic, the gray wire on the end of the harness is the speed sense wire. Simply cut this wire, and terminate both ends using a wire nut so that they do not short out, etc. The wire immediately next to it, which should be light blue, is your E-Brake ground. Cut this wire as well, then ground the side that comes out of the harness to the chassis. I found that one of the mounting screws for the stock monitor was a sufficient ground.

This harness plugs into the part of the factory radio that holds the CD Changer, which is down below the A/C controls. There are 4-5 harnesses that plug into this unit, but this particular harness is right next to the Antenna harness, and is closest to the passenger side of the car, if that makes sense.

Anyway, hope this helps all of you struggling with this issue. I would assume it would work on the 07 as well. The one thing I do want to mention is if you have Nav, you will want to take an extra step, because the Nav needs the speed sense wire to detect car position. So, what you will want to do is, rather than cut and terminate both ends of the speed sense wire cut the wire, and install a toggle switch inline with the wire, so that the speed sense can be turned on and off. Then, when you want to watch a movie, turn it off. When you want to use Nav, turn it back on

Mike

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Good Job

i knew this is how it would work, but I didnt have an 07/08 to play on, glad someone did and posted!

Rivalry

Very nice detective work.

It's always fun playing with wires.

phil4watching
Car: 06 infiniti g35 coupe

Good find man. So how do you even watch movies on the nav screen. What conversion do you recommend?

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

That is an awesome find. You also earned a custom title, so email me what you would like, and I'll make it happen. My email is in my profile.

mikey7182

Well, the G35 that I did this in did not have Nav; however, it obviously had the stock display that shows the radio information, etc. In the center console, there is an Audio/Video input (The Red, White and Yellow RCAs) that you can use by installing an aftermarket standalone DVD player, which I did. I mounted it under the glovebox. The plastic trim piece comes down and I mounted it to that. It is pretty low profile so it stays out of sight for the most part, but is easy to access to change DVDs, etc. I did a TV Tuner as well that runs through the DVD player's AUX input. From the DVD player, a simple set of RCA A/V out to the A/V in located in the center console allows you to watch DVDs on the monitor. You select AUX as your source on the car's stereo, and you're in business.

mikey7182

Bean- Thanks for the offer. I didn't see your email in your profile. No worries on the custom title... You can put "Bypass Master" if you'd like though Feel free to "Stickie" this if you have the power to do so and think it is appropriate. I posted it to help other guys do the same thing.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

It's been done, check out our FAQs and how-too's:

zerothread/323283

Great job BTW!!!

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Seriously sweet!!

Wow... how's that for a first post??

Welcome to NICO!

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

Congrats Mikey. That has to be a NICO record for earning a custom title. Way to go.

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

mikey7182 wrote: Feel free to "Stickie" this if you have the power to do so and think it is appropriate.
Yes, Beanor has superpowers. He strikes his hammer and thunder runs for cover. He raises his hand and lightning retreats back to the clouds. He changes the direction of the wind and wipes away stormy skies with the swipe of one hand.

How else do you think he earned his custom title?

Captain
Car: 2008 G35 Sport

What would be great is if there was an adapter plug that was missing these pin-outs so we did not have to cut anything... We must have some industrious members that would do this and sell to members.

mikey7182

That's a good idea... The way I did it, I left quite a bit of room so that it can be reconnected/spliced when the car is sold or has to go in for service. The only downer on the plug adapter is that the E-Brake still has to be grounded, so you'd have to have a wire coming out of the adapter still for that but somehow terminate the stock one without cutting. I'm sure it can be done... Either way, it's functional and with minimal impact on the cars' stock appearance, etc. Like I had mentioned before, the only impact it would have would be on a car with Nav, but that can be easily fixed with a switch inline on the Speed Sense. Thanks for the comments guys, and thanks for the Stickie, Bean!

Gdaddy
Car: G35

This is a great tip! Im going to try it out and use an IPOD as the video source. The video IPOD works great now with the G35 display unit but only while the ebrake is on. Not much use for that

gcoupe86

doesnt work for my car....wiring is totally different... I have navi and 6 disc changer in the trunk.....u got me all excited but i guess the harness is totally different when you have the 6 disc in dish and not in the trunk.

mikey7182

What does the harness look like on yours? Can you post pics? I haven't been behind the dash of a G35 with navi, but I assumed it would be the same. The car I did had the 6 disc in dash as well. The harness is located on the back of the changer itself. Post some pics if you can and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction. The Navi could have something to do with it, but there will still be a speed pulse and e brake ground somewhere.

OwMyClutchFootHurts
Car: '08 G35S/MT6

Nice work and thanks for sharing. I assume this disables the speed sensitive volume control as well?Not a big deal to me personally, but people might want to be aware of it before they start cutting.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Tampering with wiring of course invalidates warranty on the entire assembly so do it so that a technican cannot spot or test during any future failure.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Rivalry wrote:Very nice detective work.

It's always fun playing with wires.
Does this mean you can watch p0rn in your G?

Waiting for the wife to come out of the mall won't be so stressfull anymore waiting in the parking lot.

mikey7182

Good points... yes, this will disable the speed sensitive volume control, so if that is more important to you than watching video while driving, you will not want to cut. Again, a toggle switch could be placed inline between the ebrake ground and the pin harness to switch this feature on and off, so while you're watching a DVD, you'll switch it off, and while listening to the radio, you'll switch it on to take advantage of the speed sense input. This will keep everything the same except for speed sensitive volume control on movie watching, which I'm not sure is available to begin with.

Regarding warranty work, if you want to get tricky, the speed sense wire can be pulled from the PIN harness, granted you know what you're doing and know how to reinsert it if the car ever needs to be taken in. As far as the ebrake wire, the same thing could be done. Pull the existing wire out of the PIN harness, and place a NEW wire into the same PIN location, and ground that wire, leaving the original wire unattached at the PIN but still in the wiring harness. Then if warranty work is needed, take out the new wire from the PIN and replace it with the old wire. Hopefully that makes sense. Be careful doing this though; the little clips that hold the wire in the PIN harness are somewhat delicate.

HMD_BHR
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan

If the E-Brake ground & speed sensitive volume control wires are cut, won't the car show a warning light in the gauges or some electrical fault warning in the car's computer.

My car (07 G35 Sedan) is under warranty and i have to take it to the Infiniti agent for service every 5,000 Kilos (3,107 Miles), and they may discover that i have tampered with the wires of the car (if a warning signal appears) to bypass the video on the Aux, how can i avoid that from happening? and another question is how to open the dash without damaging it, so that i can find the wire socket for the E-Brake ground & speed sensitive volume control.

gqdeeG35x
Car: 2007 G35x

I was just wondering if it would be feasible some how to make a splice harness that can achieve this rewiring without having to cut wires? Theoretically if I had both harness connections and I attached wires between the two except for the E brake and speed sensor, and installed that in line with the original harness connections, it would work no?

cavazos00
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35

I have a 2007 g35 I'm assuming it will be similar enough for me to figure it out.. but my question is what is the best way to remove the plastic paneling to get to the wires without damaging anything?

wbkoc
Car: G35x

So has anyone done this yet for a 08 with the NAV? I would just like to be able to access all the phone and NAV features without coming to a complete stop. All the guides I have seen are just for cars without NAV.

Slider4105
Car: 2008 G35 Journey 5AT

You need to put a toggle switch on the speed sensor wire. That way you toggle the sensor back on and it will work the NAV system and what not. You can't run both video and NAV at the same time.

If you read the last paragraph of the OP then you'll see where he says this.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Welcome to NICO Bill!!

Check out the FAQ page in my sig for more info on the G!

COMAGEIST

Thanks for the post. Your info is perfect and well explained. We tried this on my friends G35 S and it works perfectly! We were able to hide the switch under the leather shifter boot so it is invisible and still functional.

Thanks again,

C. Daniel

COMAGEIST

Hey Phil,

I would recommend a cheap portable DVD player that you can connect to the RCA inputs in the center console. If you really want to get creative, you can get a VGA to RCA converter box and hook up a mini-laptop to your input.

C. Daniel

sandred
Car: g37 2008

Guys I really need some help. I tried doing this video bypass with 2008 g37 (non-nav). I did everything correct. Cut the speedsense and grounded the Ebrake. I put everything back together. But the car would not start. It goes into ACC on mode and thats it. It would not crank or anything. I left the battery connected during the hack and I am not sure that matters. What should I do now? Thanks

iceburrg78259
Car: 2008 G35 Sedan

the #1 rule when cutting electrical wires is always disconnect your battery ! i just purchased my G35 a few weeks ago so i'm still learning , but it sounds to me like you shorted something out when you cut the wires. The first place i would look would be in the fuse panel. In most cases you'll pop a fuse before you fry the main computer. Also try to locate the main fuse.....its not always located in the the fuse panel on other makes/models. hope this helps. Good Luck !!!

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”