HOW TO: Bypass coolant line in Throttle Body

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
WORKS89
Car: EVO VIII GSR, 07' Versa 6spd, AND 92' Z32

Before we start I’d like to explain the purpose of this mod. There is a hot coolant line that runs through the throttle body of the Nissan Versa; this coolant line is used to heat the throttle body when it’s cold out. The purpose of heating the throttle body is for 2 main reasons. First is to keep the throttle body form freezing shut if you live in temperatures so cold that everything freezes. (Nothing a minute or 2 of idling won’t thaw) The second idea behind the coolant line is to help with cold start emissions. The idea here is that because you are warming the throttle body you are warming the incoming air and everything around it, thus warming the car fast. Now here is where the problem comes from. After the car is completely warmed up, the hot coolant continues to run through the throttle body warming the air, and that is why we bypass the coolant line through the throttle body.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you live in extremely cold weather, this mod is not recommended. There is a slight chance of the throttle body iceing up.

First off, you’re going to need some of these:

Pliers (needle nose works best for me)Two ¼ inch caps for the nips of the throttle body (Not need but looks cleaner)1 double-side vacuum line connector piece, both sides must be ¼ inchAnd 10 minutes of your time

So this is what the line should look like when it’s all done. Use the stock clamps. They are plenty tight.

Step1 is to remove you intake or else there will be no room to work. It’s not required, just a lot easier in the end.

Step2 use the pliers to pinch the clamps on the coolant line and then slide them down. This will allow the coolant line to be pulled right off. Careful, once you pull the line off a little bit of coolant should come out.NOTE: These pictures were taken after the job was finished.

Step 3 now we are going to connect both lines using our vacuum line connector. The lines should slide on with a little push. Then move the stock clamps over the connector, thus tightening the hose. See first picture.

Step 4 Cap off the 2 nipples coming off the throttle body. This is to just keep stuff out, and it looks cleaner.

Step 5 you’re done! Reassemble the intake and start the car. While the car it running’ check the coolant lines to make sure they are on tight and are not leaking.

Modified by WORKS89 at 10:21 AM 7/1/2009

Modified by WORKS89 at 10:23 AM 7/1/2009
Modified by WORKS89 at 10:38 AM 7/2/2009

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Someone would probably want it.

And it could get you a custom title under your name.

WORKS89

This is my first right up, so comments are much welcomed.
Modified by WORKS89 at 10:25 AM 7/1/2009

WORKS89

It done!

biggie

Made this sticky for now, probably in FAQ/etc soon.

Let me know what custom title you would like and I'll request it.

Thanks

WORKS89

If we get some more "how to's" we should open up a new section just for them, just a thought.

viet510racer
Car: 08 Black V SL

sorry if this is a newb question but what will that do exactly? make the engine run more efficiently?

WORKS89

pretty much. After the car is warmed up and driving, the hot coolant keeps running through the throttle body, thus still heating everything. The idea behind this is to cool the throttle body a huge amount thus cooling the air that passes through it.

This is a very common mod for LS1 motors. On average they pick up 6rwhp on the dyno just by doing this. I mention this because its one of the few cars they've taken the time to test with. In theory it should be good for all cars.

Hope this answered your question.

biggie

Should also note sometimes this is not recommended for realy cold climates during winter. Like maybe Canada. Sometimes it is good to heat the outside air a little (say if its well below 0 or something).

WORKS89

I just noted it in the beginning of the write up, thanks.

So it would be awesome if you could add "LostCoast Motorsports" under my name. Thanks

viet510racer
Car: 08 Black V SL

thanks for info. and also are there going to be any issues doing this down the road??

biggie

viet510racer wrote:thanks for info. and also are there going to be any issues doing this down the road??
There should not be. Just make sure its not leaking after completion.

I would slightly worry about an air bubble in your system from doing it though. Unless you bleed air off or flush the coolant system after doing this.

ds08versa
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

works89 how does that intake work for you that u made??

WORKS89

Its the best intake I've used so far, but I do feel it will benefit more after I add a 6" straight pipe, and add the heat shield im making. We're waiting for the next test n tune day at our dragstrip to change it, so we know which is better.

The Perrin filter is awesome by the way. It is currently the very best filter, horsepower wise, on the market. This has been independently tested, I've seen the numbers and test sheets, these filters are the real deal.

EDIT: Almost forgot. there is no driveability issues what so ever. No codes or anything negitive so far.

superskunk
Car: '07 Super Black Versa S Hatch,'06 Super Black Murano SL

why did you put the 2 hoses together? why didn't you just remove one hose completely and run the open end of the hose to the location of the hose removed? thats what i did.... ill post some pics as soon as i get a chance

WORKS89

Cause this way keeps things simple, and can be switched back very quickly for any warrenty work. Sometimes its better just to keep things simple.

shiryu0
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

the hose is long enough to bypass with a single hose..................

and what do i get for doing this same thing, oh say a year ago?

given my pics were crap phone pics, but come on...........

http://forums.nissanversa.org/zerothread?id=349406

biggie

shiryu0 wrote:the hose is long enough to bypass with a single hose..................

and what do i get for doing this same thing, oh say a year ago?

given my pics were crap phone pics, but come on...........

http://forums.nissanversa.org/zerothread?id=349406
Sorry, don't guess any Mods noticed it.

Email me if you would really like a custom title, though its not normal for such a low post count.

barra
Car: Nissan Tiida S 1.8 t/a

The Tiida's sold in Brazil don't have to do it, i will take some pics to show you.

no3rdseat

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up.

I was heavily involved in the Pontiac Fiero community for many years and was one of the first people to do this mod on the Fiero. I thought it would make a difference but it really had no noticeable effect.

I ended up putting a Cadillac 4.9 V8 in the Fiero. That had a noticeable effect. So did the supercharged 3800 V6 I installed in another Fiero.

I think the Versa would do well with a turbo. Volkswagen makes a turbocharged 1.8 that moves their Jetta and Passat rather quickly. The turbos are readily available on e-bay for $250-$300. Oh yeah, now you're talking.

-Rick Stewart

NODES
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL (Blue)

last time I heard Versa and Turbo in the same sentence ....the outcome was not the greatest

motoguy128
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S - 6 Speed

I'm curious who's going to report icing issue first. It doesn't nessesarily take extreme cold to cause icing. More, very damp weather. I've had carbs on my motorcyle ice in rainy 35-40F weather,. The TB is under a vaccum. At lower absolute pressures, water freezes at a higher temperature.

In very cold conditons, the air is typically very dry. It's the relative humidity that you need to consider and the freeaing point at pressues below normal atmospheric.

I would never do this mod if you live at 5000 ft and above.

That being said, it is worth pointing out that the mass ir flow sensor and O2 sensor should correct for the rich condition icing would cause. But he fuel map does have limitations. And you'll still lose performance from the ice build-up.

Just thought I'd share.

NCJack
Car: 2007 Versa SL

I agree with the above...

Also, the MAF is before the thottle plate, so how would this have an effect?

Sure, if the MAF was AFTER the throttle body, than the car could compensate for the cool air that would normally otherwise be warmed.

I'd rather keep the reliability of a TB that wont freeze up.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Jack

marinemonkey
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 6 spd hatch
1974 Dodge Charger 318 auto
1973 Plymouth Duster built 318 3 spd (for sale)

do you think it is a good idea to do this in Atlanta , Ga. im new to the hole tb thing... just reading this there are to many yes its a good thing and no its not a good thing... if some one could help me out

thanks
William

lain
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

biggie wrote:
viet510racer wrote:thanks for info. and also are there going to be any issues doing this down the road??
There should not be. Just make sure its not leaking after completion.

I would slightly worry about an air bubble in your system from doing it though. Unless you bleed air off or flush the coolant system after doing this.
now here you are talking about bleeding off the air in the lines or flushing the coollant system. now how strongly do you feel this should be done with doing this little mod. also lets say there is a air gap in my coolant lines...what kind of damage could that cause? what is the more simple and probable way of taking care of this issue, the flush or bleeding the air. Thank you.

D3stro

It was a great mod to do with a B15 SpecV. Which I did when I had mine back then. And like it was mention above, if you live in cold area, it's best to reverse the modification to avoid issues, which, ain't too hard to do.

skylly
Car: Daihatsu Mira

After bypass coolant line in Throttle Body is that possible that to using the Air con low pressure line to run through that coolant line in the Throttle body?

sorry just my crazy idea :whistle:

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”