How to bring in a car for "show" purposes

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
gsxtasee
Car: racing anything and everything

direct from the NHTSA website:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/....html

HOW YOU MAY APPLY FOR PERMISSION TO IMPORT

Your signed application must include, at a minimum:

Your name, address, phone number, and FAX number. Vehicle identification – make, model, model year, VIN or chassis number, engine number, date of manufacture and mileage. Location where you will store the vehicle in the United States. Statement describing use on the public roads, if intended. If on-road use is requested, identify the Independent Commercial Importer (ICI) that will modify the vehicle to bring it into conformity with the requirements of the Environmental Protection Agency. Basis for the application. Attachments: Photographs – ¾ frontal, ¾ rear, interior, odometer reading and special features (if appropriate). Document from manufacturer or recognized historical source, identifying total production (production verification). Proof of insurance conditioned on limited on-road use (not more than 2,500 miles accumulated in any 12-month period). Identification of vehicle’s: Technological significance – You must identify (be specific) the technology, engineering, and construction features of the vehicle that are advanced and of an unusual nature not commonly found in motor vehicles manufactured in the same time period; or Historical significance – You must identify the historical significance of the vehicle. If a person of historical significance owned the vehicle, you must submit proof that this person owned the vehicle. If the vehicle was the first or last vehicle of a particular model, you must establish this through the manufacturer’s documentation or, if this is not available, through a recognized historical source. If the vehicle was "one of a kind," you must establish this also.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

gsxtasee wrote:direct from the NHTSA website:

(not more than 2,500 miles accumulated in any 12-month period).
no runs to 7-11 for slurpees, that's roughly seven miles a day.
gsxtasee wrote:you must identify (be specific) the technology, engineering, and construction features of the vehicle that are advanced and of an unusual nature not commonly found in motor vehicles manufactured in the same time period; or Historical significance – You must identify the historical significance of the vehicle. If the vehicle was "one of a kind," you must establish this also.

The Skyline doesn't meet that criteria. It's just a mass produced car, "cause it's cool" won't convince them to let you import it.

PROJECTRB240SX
Car: 1972 DATSUN 240Z W/ SR20DET

ATESSA AWD SYSTEM IS WAY MORE ADVANCED THAN ANYOTHER SYSTEM SOLD IN THE US

andrave
Car: assorted

In determining whether a vehicle is eligible for importation for show or display, NHTSA will consider the following factors, among others:

4. Whether more than 500 of the vehicles were produced.

If the answer to any of the above is affirmative, you should not expect NHTSA to grant permission for importation. If the answer to item 4 is affirmative, the applicant must establish that the vehicle is of exceptional technological and/or historical significance.

I think they might have made more than 500 skylines....lol

AREITU

PROJECTRB240SX wrote:ATESSA AWD SYSTEM IS WAY MORE ADVANCED THAN ANYOTHER SYSTEM SOLD IN THE US

Every awd system from every manufacturer is basically different. I could make the claim that the 959's AWD system operates on a similar principle as the ATTESA and is more special. I could make the claim that BMW or mercedes's method of using three open diffs, some sensors and brakes is more advanced. What about quattro and Haldex? It goes on and on. And besides, the ATTESA system is already on the FX35/45 and the G35x. Rear wheel steering wasn't a special thing as the 4th gen preludes had them as well as early S13s. I doubt they'll distinguish between the Skyine GT and the GT-R V-Spec II Nur, nor will their objectivity allow them to.

McLaren F1s and the B-Engineering Edonis on the other hand...

hatebobbarker
Car: 350z, 240sx(for sale)

the only skyline i imagine would have a chance would be the 400r its rather different and there werent even 50 made.

Dookie
Car: 1993 240sx Coupe

What about the r34 V-Spec Nur? Weren't there around 100 made?

hatebobbarker

its still an r34 gtr and not THAT different

gsxtasee
Car: racing anything and everything

1000 NUR's made

tyndago

You aren't going to get Show or Display exemption on a GT-R.

Its an exemption for rich boys and their rich toys.

XJ220's , McLaren F1's , 959's , Mercedes CLK-GTR Roadster --- what do I know about Show and Display ?

Check the pics -

http://rbmotoring.com/gallery/959

GTR-33

Holy s***! Too bad the CLK GTR is such an ugly car... I'll still take two though...

tyndago

>>"OMG! Is that a T51RKIA BB turbo?!?">>"Yes, yes it is....">>HKS Power And Speed

Its a KIA turbo ? like the Korean car maker ?

I think you meant to say - KAI.... ???

GTR-33

tyndago wrote:>>"OMG! Is that a T51RKIA BB turbo?!?">>"Yes, yes it is....">>HKS Power And Speed

Its a KIA turbo ? like the Korean car maker ?

I think you meant to say - KAI.... ???

ooops. Typo. The thing about the CLK GTR was a joke BTW.

hatebobbarker

i was agreeing with yuoi didnt think the clk gtr was supposed to look nice., its MUCH more function then form

SAPrez
Car: Racing, Car Shows, Creative Arts, Sports

How many N1's were made?(R33)I know there were 228 R32's, and 30 R34's, but can't find any numbers on an N1....

mB

hatebobbarker

did they make an r33to my knowledge the only speical r33s are the LM and 400r

Turb0wned

all you gotta do to be in one of those import shows is rice the hell out the car

hatebobbarker

actually, you just haveto fill out the entry form...

SAPrez

Yes, R33 N1's were made.....It's just that at the two or three places I know to give production numbers there are question marks in the spot for the N1.If you remember seeing or reading it, the 1995 R33 N1 is what holds the track record at the Nuremburgring.

mB

tyndago

SAPrez wrote:If you remember seeing or reading it, the 1995 R33 N1 is what holds the track record at the Nuremburgring.

Not true. The R33 that "ran" 7:59 around the ring was a standard production car.

Well - it was supposed to be a standard production car.

From what I know about Skylines - I highly doubt it.

.... Porsche GT2 and GT3 are faster.

The Jag XJ220 did it in 7:46

http://www.nuerburgring.de/eng/frame_00.htm

tyndago

Good online article about some numbers --

http://www.caterham.force9.co.uk/ring.htm

Caterham Superlight R: 8min 6.2sec

Ruf CTR II: 8min 15.0sec

Nissan $kyline GTR: 8min 28.1 sec

Porsche 911 Carrera: 8min 38.4sec

tyndago

Another one - although I hardly call a Radical a production car...

http://www.philbennett.com/news/default.asp?id=56

SAPrez

Sad to see the record has been broken---that was one of the bragging rights I felt proud of....I guess it was my assumtion that, when I read "production model", I assumed they meant a N1. Don't know why---sometimes I read what I want to read.Loved the Caterham article. That's the kind of reading I enjoy!

mB

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”