How to Break Intake Manifold Bolts Loose?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
2016RogueSVAWD
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Hey everyone,

Couldn't find an specific intake manifold bolt thread so please correct me if I'm wrong.

2016 Nissan Rogue SV AVD
just over 201,000 miles

I have a lot more back story to the issue on the 2nd gen high mileage thread,but here's my current issue:::::

I'm having a hell of a time trying to break the intake manifold bolts loose. I have the two nuts on the outside studs loose, but for the life of me haven't been able to break the 3 bolt loose in the progression. I can get a good grip on it with a 12mm socket and a small 1/4" ratchet, but I can't put enough torque on it to break it loose. I'm sure tightening will not be an issue since it's only 18 ft lbs and I can reach all the bolts just fine----just can't break them loose. After the two nuts/studs on the upper corners, the next two bolts in order are on the lower side between chambers 1/2 and 3/4. The fifth is on the top in the middle, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to break that with a wrench. It's such a tight spot.

Any ideas?? Tools? I've read a little that the intake/engine is similar to Altimas, anyone know this to be true?

Thanks in advance.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

I’ve never had to do any work on a rogue intake manifold, but why are you using a 1/4 in drive? Get a 3/8 drive ratchet with the longest handle you can get in there. I even have a 1/2 ratchet with a two foot handle for really tough stuff.

The only time I ever use 1/4 inch is for really light fasteners that are just a bit more than finger tight or if it’s a really tight area.

2016RogueSVAWD

It's a really tight space. If you are under you can barely get your arm through. A powerful air ratchet might do the job, I can get my arm up to place something on there, but put no torque on it... From the top, the angle is so tight, so a tiny 1/4 is all I can get in there... my 3/8' wouldn't fit due to the angle.. I'll try one more time... I was trying to put something on the handle end of the small 1/4 that I could use, but I can't add the right torque to keep the socket on without the top septic tank looking portion and it's bits getting in the way. I think I'll have the tires off of it today, maybe I can get through if I take the passenger tire off.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Heat. Unless it's plastic.

Or try penetrating spray

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

I have one of these in my toolbox. They work so well, I think mine came from harbor freight or northern tool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-Ratchet ... SwnDxUfJKD

You can bend the handle and fit it in an extremely tight spot and get your hand around it for good torque.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Post #2 is right, you are using too small a tool with 1/4" rachet, you must figure out how to get 3/8" in there. probably end up grinding on some tool parts to do it. 18 ft.lbs. is too much torque on a 1/4" drive, they are intended way more for inch pound work.

prj
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue. 2004 Nissan Titan

As noted above...Heat. Put a flame to it with a torch. You will have no problem getting it off then.

2016RogueSVAWD

darylzero wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:13 pm
Heat. Unless it's plastic.

Or try penetrating spray
Thanks, and it is plastic! I did try some spray, but apparently couldn't get enough on it?

2016RogueSVAWD

Rogue Jarhead wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:05 pm
I have one of these in my toolbox. They work so well, I think mine came from harbor freight or northern tool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-Ratchet ... SwnDxUfJKD

You can bend the handle and fit it in an extremely tight spot and get your hand around it for good torque.
That looks like a very interesting tool...

2016RogueSVAWD

amc49 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:27 pm
Post #2 is right, you are using too small a tool with 1/4" rachet, you must figure out how to get 3/8" in there. probably end up grinding on some tool parts to do it. 18 ft.lbs. is too much torque on a 1/4" drive, they are intended way more for inch pound work.
Thanks for the reply, that's a good idea, grinding a 3/8" down to a good angle.. make it my intake ratchet... I may try that at some point, I have a drill and impact that maybe I can put a grinding wheel on...

2016RogueSVAWD

prj wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:08 am
As noted above...Heat. Put a flame to it with a torch. You will have no problem getting it off then.
Thanks, I forgot to mention it was plastic!! It would DEFINITELY come off, in one hot gooping mess... lol... although, it apparently CAN withstand an intense amount of heat, it's right next to the engine!

Return to “Rogue Forum”