How-to Black out Versa headlights.

Troubleshooting, DIY's, How-To's and articles about all Nissan vehicles. Non-vehicle specific "General" How-To and tech information is also here.
CodeRed
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S MT

Tutorial by: bosoversa

Well, finally got a free weekend to do the other side and document it with pictures. When I get working on something, sometimes I forget to slow down and document EVERYthing. But these pictures should be more than sufficient for anyone who wants to try blacking out their headlights. The main tool used in this is a Dremel or other similar rotary tool, with a fiber reinforced cut-off wheel. Besides that, youll need a sharp x-acto knife, a brillo pad or scotchbrite pad, some high quality black silicone sealant, and some versa downtime! Here we go.

Getting the headlight out isnt too hard. Theres a total of 4 10mm bolts holding it in. The only tough one is behind the bumper, near the fender. Once you get it out, remove all the bulbs/harness and set them aside. Clean the light if you like, because you might not want to be holding a dirty light for the next few hours.Remove this bracket that is help on with two Torx head screws.Begin cutting with the dremel along the most recognizable crease. The red dots show where I mean. Cutting takes time, and its messy, and it stinks. But be patient.You can see where the best place to cut is along that red line^^. Its gonna be tough, but just keep cutting and checking.Remove these two Torx head screws.Using the dremel again, cut this little tab, along with the two others I marked in this next shot.That is the inner housing which we will be painting black.To remove the orange reflector, push in on those two marked tabs and it will pop out the other side.Removed reflector.You also need to remove this clear diffuser for the parking lamp section. In this pic the piece is half-way removed to show how to get it out.Here it is removed. Note the tabs.Here is the housing without it.Here is a shot of the headlight backing that we cut off. Here you can see a little better where to make your cuts.Same idea there^^Clean up ALL the edges that you cut with the dremel. There will be little bits of burned plastic hanging EVERYWHERE. Slice them off carefully with the x-acto. Get every single little scrap of loose plastic away. After this step I vacuumed my entire work area to keep bits of plastic from getting in my light.Take your chrome housing to the sink, and using a brillo pad (steel wool) proceed to scuff the surface. The chrome will actually begin to come off, which is desired. Do as much as you possible can, using water from the sink to rinse the chrome dust away.Here is a closeup^^Take the clean, sanded housing outside and paint it! Of course this is flat black but honestly you could paint it whatever color you want. Even body match the color like the Honda Fits! Once you get a nice covering of paint, let it dry fully, re-assemble the two plastic reflector pieces, and set the housing back into the lens. Reinstall the two Torx screws to hold it steady. Set the headlight backing into the lens/housing and you should have a small, clean gap running along the entire perimeter of where you cut.Like that^^Using the silicone sealant, apply a liberal bead if it along that gap. You want to SEAL the headlight, not just stick it back together. In this case, more glue is better.(to some extent!)Two more pics to show the silicone bead.

LET IT DRY overnight so the silicone gets nice and firm. You should now have an awesome new headlight!

Return to “Nissan Articles”