HOW TO ADD A 4K DASH CAM TO YOUR FX or QX FOR $139

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
imnprsd
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX45

Today I spent 3 hours installing a 4K Redtiger Dash Cam. And with these tips you can probably do it in 2 hours.

This is a really nice camera that records front and rear video. I highly recommend it, and you can buy it on Amazon for $139:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TT1RRGP?ps ... ct_details

Here's some things you need to know in order to maximize the functions of this camera:

1) Buy a 64GB Mini SD Card for $9 in order to utilize the recording capability of this Camera / DVR. And with a micro SD card installed, you can also see "looped video" on you cell phone when you download the app. Note: Looped video means files are recorded in 1 or 3 or 5 minute "loops" and you can manage them with your cell phone app installed.

Click here to see the micro SD Card on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B1F9L52?ps ... ct_details

2) Down load the Ucam App to your cell phone buy just clicking on the QR-code that comes with your camera. Once the App is installed in your phone, you then connect your cell phone to your 4K dash Camera which looks like a "hotspot" only without a WiFi data connection. Instead, you are directly connecting your cell phone to your camera.

3) With the micro SC card installed in the camera; and with the App installed on your cell phone; you just click on "Please Connect DVR" on your cell phone and you will a very clear picture looking forward; and a 1080P video looking backward.

4) Both forward and backward channels will be recorded and when using the cell phone App you have complete control of your dash cam.

Note: You connect your cell phone to your dash cam just like you connect to a WiFi hotspot or your home router. The Dash Cam SSID is "F7N...and other numbers".... which you select; and then you just enter the default password which is "12345678".

To learn how to use this 4K Dash Cam from Redtiger you can watch this YouTube video:

I think this is a very worthwhile upgrade; and maybe one day if you have an accident, it will prove you are not "at fault."

* I do not insure my 2004 FX45 for Collision so I want to know I have camera footage to prove the "other guy" is at fault if he or she decides to argue I was at fault.

* I also like having a "Parking" mode that will activate the camera video recording when the car is parked and motion is detected by the front or rear camera. ...This is not a great deterrent, but maybe there will be some opportunity to catch the thieves if they try to break into my car. TBD.

Note: The 4K dash cam comes with a cigarette lighter for power, but in order to engage the "Parking Mode" you need to install a hardwire kit, that also comes with your purchase, and connects both ACC and constant BATTERY power.

My only concern is how long the camera will remain on "standby" in Parking Mode before the battery dies. However, Redtiger says this 4K Dash Cam comes with a "super capacitor" which turns off when the voltage reaches 11.5V. And apparently, even at this low voltage level, you should have enough voltage and amp-hours in your battery to start your car. TBD. I hope this is the case, but I have not owned this camera long enough to know if using the Parking Mode is problematic. I will say there are no complaints in these regards so I'm hoping for the best.

Once you setup your camera you will just leave it and forget about it... until the day you need it. Let's hope! That said, you can mount the camera on the passenger side of your rearview mirror, but I like having the camera with EASY REACH from the driver's seat.

For some reason I can't upload photos so you will have to go to this other Infiniti Forum website to view them:
https://www.infinitifx.org/threads/how- ... 139.37579/

imnprsd

OP Update RE: How To Add A Fuse Tap

My 2004 Infiniti FX45 had one ACC Fuse Port available in the fuse box next to my emergency brake; so I just plugged-in the Redtiger red wire that uses a a 3A Fuse as part of it's wire harness. ...No problem there.

However, there was no available Battery Fuse Port so I can just plug in the Redtiger yellow wire -- that needs a constant 12V battery supply. So, at first, I just pulled the 15A fuse to the "back door" fuse port and inserted the Redtiger yellow wire with 3A fuse. However, this is not the best way to go, because now your "back door circuit" is only being protected by a 3A fuse... when it needs a 15A.

Solution: Buy a fuse tap on Amazon ($10) and then you can protect your "back door circuit" with the 15A fuse it wants; and the fuse tap will let you protect the Redtiger yellow wire with a 3A fuse it wants.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742BZXC2?ps ... ct_details

TIP: You need to trim one side of the fuse tap so it can fit into the Infiniti fuse port. This is due to the fact Infiniti molded a very tight fuse block. Just take a sharp razor blade and slice off (trim) the hard plastic on the tap and then you can fit it all the way into the fuse block hole.

==> For some reason I can't upload photos so you will have to go to this other Infiniti Forum website to view them:

imnprsd

imnprsd wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:32 pm
OP Update RE: How To Add A Fuse Tap

My 2004 Infiniti FX45 had one ACC Fuse Port available in the fuse box next to my emergency brake; so I just plugged-in the Redtiger red wire that uses a a 3A Fuse as part of it's wire harness. ...No problem there.

However, there was no available Battery Fuse Port so I can just plug in the Redtiger yellow wire -- that needs a constant 12V battery supply. So, at first, I just pulled the 15A fuse to the "back door" fuse port and inserted the Redtiger yellow wire with 3A fuse. However, this is not the best way to go, because now your "back door circuit" is only being protected by a 3A fuse... when it needs a 15A.

Solution: Buy a fuse tap on Amazon ($10) and then you can protect your "back door circuit" with the 15A fuse it wants; and the fuse tap will let you protect the Redtiger yellow wire with a 3A fuse it wants.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742BZXC2?ps ... ct_details

TIP: You need to trim one side of the fuse tap so it can fit into the Infiniti fuse port. This is due to the fact Infiniti molded a very tight fuse block. Just take a sharp razor blade and slice off (trim) the hard plastic on the tap and then you can fit it all the way into the fuse block hole.

==> For some reason I can't upload photos so you will have to go to this other Infiniti Forum website to view them:

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”