How To: 1991 VH45DE - 1990 S13 Wiring

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
speedeast
Car: 1990 240sx VH45 FB & 1993 300zx

First and foremost, this is a representation of how I wired my specific application. Your application will vary and may require a slightly different materials list and install approach, unless your conditions match mine. Please read through the entire write-up and compare with your own setup before purchasing materials, cutting wires, etc. Enjoy!

Things you will need:
<> Assorted primary wire (10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20ga)
<> 3 Inline Fuse Holders (2 12ga, 1 16ga approx.)
<> Electrical tape - several rolls (Duck or 3m; everything else sucks!)
<> Plastic Wire Conduit (Loom); I used 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", and 1"
------ I used several feet re-wrapping ERH, ERH2, ECCS Harness, and Sub-Harnesses
<> Good wire strippers; I have Kronus automatic ones --> recommended!
<> Heat shrink; 3/8" and 1/2"; I also used 5/8" on battery cable terminals
<> Diagonal cutters/snips
<> Several (red and blue; male and female) quick disconnect terminals
<> Several (red, blue, and yellow) butt connectors
<> At least 2 ring terminals; I used yellow
<> White electrical tape & sharpie (I like to label things!)
<> Different color electrical tape (helped me identify matching ends in my jumper harness)
<> 2 SPST (single pole, single throw) Relays; Nissan Green or Blue
<> Gray 8-Pin Connector from KA Engine Harness (with as much wire as possible, >1.5m)
<> Brown 8-Pin connector from KA Engine Harness (with as much wire as possible, >1.5m)

Recommended to do; not covered here:
<> Map out the pins for your ECU. I don't find it necessary for my write-up and is not a required step for an identical swap. Knowing where each wire actually goes may help you better understand the process.

Procedure:
Here's a conversion layout to set the playing field:

I started by clipping the "to be used" wires from their respective connectors on the VH ECCS Harness. I crimped quick disconnects on each "to be used" wire and with the white electrical tape and sharpie I labeled each wire with it's destination and which connector it came from. Some of the connectors may have the same color wires as others; it is important that you can discriminate between them. For the destination, I labeled the system component and/or the color wire it connects to (made life simple).

After each wire was labeled, I separated them from the connectors (which will not be used).

Then I organized them according to their destination: KA White, KA Gray, KA Brown, and custom.

Next, I removed the Gray and Brown 8-pin connectors from the KA EFI Harness making sure to preserve as much of it's wiring as possible (at least enough for the length of your jumper; mine was approx 5 feet). I used a tiny flat head screwdriver and removed the unused wires from those connectors, pin and all - BUT I kept the removed wire just in case with the pin still attached. You will only need one instance of each wire left in your gray and brown connectors; therefore, removed all of the spliced wires as you see below: (Make sure you tape up each splice location.)

Crimp quick disconnects to the ends of each remaining wire making sure it is the opposite sex of the quick disconnects you used on the ECCS Harness. I added some heat shrink onto the end of each one and left it loose on the end so the opposite disconnect can fit right into the shroud it creates (as shown).

I mocked up the brown and gray harness along their path they way they would go. I zip-tied them together. This will be my jumper harness. I made a mark, using blue electrical tape, as to where my Custom Constant 12v power source with inline fuse can branch from the jumper to a 12v source. In my case, it will branch out at the location of my custom battery terminal -- where I ran power from the battery in the trunk to.

I used one of the 12ga inline fuse holders, crimped a ring terminal on the end and "butt" connected it to extend it back along the jumper through the firewall. As you notice in the picture, there are two wires coming back from the fuse holder; this is because I wanted a spare 12v constant power source inside the car in case I ever need it for something. I won't have to cut into the jumper or run anymore wires.

I tucked the jumper into some plastic loom. I identified where the "mark" of blue tape was and cut away a small piece of the loom to allow the wire to branch out. Then I tucked the 12v power wires into the loom as well.

I cut a full length piece of wire for the jumper to provide for the [Red -- 10amp (Ign=On/St)] wire from the blue VH connector. Tucked it in.

In order to accommodate an ignition coil relay (which the KA doesn't provide) some modifications have to be made. The Gray/Red wire that sends a signal to the ECCS relay and the Ignition Coil relay still must do so. Since the Ignition Coil relay will be under the dash by the computer, we must branch from the Gray/Red wire so that it can provide to both relays. It will provide to the ECCS relay via the Red/Black wire in the jumper, and now it will provide to the Ignition coil relay via the added branch. Crimp a quick disconnect female on the branch (required).

Using the same logic as above, we must branch the thicker Black/White wire from the blue connector of the VH ECCS Harness. The only difference is the direction of the signal in the wire. The Gray/Red send a signal from the ECU, the Black/White receives a power source in the ACC/ON/ST positions that goes to the ECU making a stop at the Ignition Coil relay on the way. (In my application, the power source will be at ON/ST.) Crimp a female quick disconnect on the end of the branch for this one as well (required). Since the largest female quick disconnect I had available was the blue one (not big enough for two 12-14ga wires), I used a yellow butt connector as shown below.

Since the Black/White wire will need a source of power @ ON/ST; another wire will need to be added to our jumper that extends slightly past the length of our jumper as shown below (red 14ga). I also decided to throw in another full length wire (yellow 16ga) with quick disconnects in case I ever need to communicate with the fuse box.

I mentioned it above but the picture sequence didn't quite follow it... a ring terminal is needed on the inline fuse. I used heat shrink to seal it up as well. This concludes the jumper! Celebrate, you save a bunch of money on your car wiring by switching to DIY.

Now, we need to separate the "to be used" wires from the KA white connector inside the car. Don't spend an eternity digging for it, it's mounted in the dash above the glove box. Use the same sequence as before: separate, strip, crimp, shrink.

The next pictures just show me connecting the starter and alternator power supplies to my terminal.

The next thing is a little bit trickier, but bear with me on this. If you remember, the Black/White wire that needed a power source, still needs one. SO, I decided to install another relay in the relax box (or near it) that will switch on a power source at the ON/ST positions without drawing power from any of the existing wiring. I found a wire from the ignition to the fuse box that is hot @ the ON/ST positions and spliced into it with wire, as shown below. This wire allows me to send a signal to the #1 position of the relay from that ignition source. The other "switch signal" (#2 on the relay) will be a simple body ground. For the 12v source, as illustrated below, I ran another wire to the 12v terminal with an inline fuse (30amp). This didn't need to be long at all because the terminal and location of the new relay are very close. Then I will connect the wire we ran for the Black/White wire through the jumper to the 12v destination on the relay. Viola! The wire I spliced for the ON/ST power source is the same wire I used with a 10amp inline fuse to provide power to the yellow jumper wire that connects to the Green/Red wire of the VH ECCS harness.

Here is the leftover jumper wire:

I cut a little hole in the VH ECCS Harness firewall grommet for the jumper to pass through.

After that, it's time to install the ignition coil relay. I decided to add a "Y" to the Red branch I created for the Black/White wire to feed the 12v source for the relay as well as one of the signals for the switch. The Gray/Red branch connected as the other signal, and the Brown/Yellow wire to the coils was hooked in at the 12v destination. Connect ALL of the wires to their respective counter, and hook up the ECU, etc.

The next pictures point out how I extended the transmission and starter wires to get them to reach as well as some other self explanatory modifications I made.

If you have any questions or amendments, feel free to share.

I have done all of this work and turned on the ACC/ON in the car, but I have not yet attempted a start. I would recommend sitting tight while I make sure it all works, haha. It should.
Last edited by speedeast on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

Looks good Zach. Let me know when it starts. (I'm sure I'll get a video message on my phone..) If it works correctly, I'll turn this into a full fledged article.

speedeast

Will do. I'll be in NY for the weekend starting today. Expect that video early next week. :)

LEMHEAD16
Car: '12 Genesis Coupe
'95 QofDOOM
'56 Chevy pick up

Great write up! Thank you for taking the time to add this to the forum.

My only question is why you went with splice connectors and heat shrink over soldering all connections? Somewhere down the line that will come back to haunt you.

Dammitboy
Car: 92' Nissan 240

Looking good & really excited to hear this thing roar!

speedeast

LEMHEAD16 wrote:My only question is why you went with splice connectors and heat shrink over soldering all connections? Somewhere down the line that will come back to haunt you.
All of the original wiring is crimped and has held up well. My crimper does a great job. If I need to go back and solder anything, everything is easy to get to.

klh6686
Car: '92 FB stock daily
'90 FB w/ RB20
'92 FB w/ VH45

I trust a good crimp over a cold solder considering the fact that a lot of guys don't know how to *properly* solder.

speedeast

I revised the how-to above. There was one small change; car started!

speedeast

Chris, here's video confirmation of wiring well done. Only one trouble code: failure to communicate with automatic transmission control, LOL!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRtiP87AkEg[/youtube]

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

Alright, I'm currently working on a big project on here... When I'm finished with that, I'll set this up as an article.

thursdaymike

this is awesome info!

PyR0NiAk

It's an official article now. I thought I had already put the link in here, but I guess not. Give me a few minutes, and I'll add it.

ka-t4u

alright here i am again asking more questions.... lol how did the tach work??? will it end up working properly after doing this wiring setup?? am assuming the speedo will function properly... but i was wondering about the tach being that now the car is a v8...

PyR0NiAk

His tach doesn't work.

ka-t4u

:facepalm: lol i feel dumb now... i have a feeling that was stated somewhere else and i missed it.....sorry.... alright either ways does anyone know of a way to make the stock tach work??

PyR0NiAk

He stated it in his thread, but not in the article.

I recommend researching how people make the tach work with RB swaps. It would be the same issue, and would probably give you a good idea how to fix it.

carim000
Car: Nissan S13 200SX

hello im need of help with my wiring ,i bought a y32 vh41de ,and this is my wiring .

i downloaded a 1993 vh45de owner's manual n tried using it to start the engine out side the car ,but most of the wires have different colors ,and even different positions on (the blue connector ,and the black connector).i found only 1 live wire which is the W\B ,their should be a B\W live wire ,but i cant find it!

i'd really appreciate the help :wavey:

DRFTBLD
Car: 89 S13 VH45DETT
05 Ford F-150 Drift Support
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

Zach... You should update the parts list to included all the connectors/plugs you need from both the VH and the S chassis.

P.s. I think this is simply the best VH related article out there to date!! This makes wiring a VH a snap (more or less) and gives anyone the ability to be able to do it! EXCELLENT job and great contribution to the VH community!

speedeast

Thanks Ron!

DRFTBLD
Car: 89 S13 VH45DETT
05 Ford F-150 Drift Support
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

Don't forgot to mention the Blue and white plugs and also the plug for the ECU - although you would hope that people know this!
Last edited by DRFTBLD on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

speedeast

I could, but on mine I chose just to use quick disconnects for all of the dash and body harness wires.

lowballs
Car: 240sx

all your pictures are gone D= this is killing me!

speedeast

they're back! hosting site was down.

Chaluska

in your write up you show the white w/red stripe off the VH blue plug going to the Red on the VH gray plug.. was this a typo?

I just wired up my harness pretty much identical to this write up, and wanted to ask a couple things..

-the gray/red wire that activates the newly added ignition coil relay, you just ground the other end correct? im sure the factory ecu is putting out a + to activate the relay. be that is the case, there is a ground wire coming off of the S13 brown 18 pin plug that you can tap in to. (my relay is mounted under the dash as well

-the white/red wire off the VH blue plug SHOULD attach to the red off of the KA white/gray 8 pin plug...
the red wire coming out of the VH blue plug is listed as a 10a on/st, but you put it to a custom wire. ANy reason you didnt tee it in to the orange wire (ign start/on?)

just trying to get this stuff straight before i fry stuff.

anyone got any suggestions?

speedeast

Give me some time to dig into this. Mine has been running fine.

Chaluska

small update,

My previous statement is incorrect..

the ECU grounds the relay.. it doesnt provide power.

i just tried cranking my car last night for the first time, and did not have powa :(

im running through all of the wiring again. :( i was hoping for a flawless first fire..

Chaluska

speedeast

Hey Charles, what did you end up doing to get everything up and running?

ShouldaHadaV8
Car: 92 hatchback 240sx, j30 diff, TIEN tie-rods

So its been couple days since I got my VH45, Im still eyeballing both harnesses. Thanks for the write up

v8180sx
Car: 1994 jdm rhd 180sx with 1994 vh45de...

do u have any info for wiring vh to s13 with no body harness?

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”