How Often do you change your Oil and Filter?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
DurableOilAMSOIL

How often are you guys changing your oil and filter? What type of oil and filter are you using?

macgiver

mac, around 4900 mi , Mob 1 , Valv Hi-mi , never used AMSOIL. :cool:

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I change mine every 5000 miles, maybe once in a while, I'll stretch it to 6000 miles or 7000 miles. However, I take mine to the stealership to do the maintenance, so I think they use the Nissan oil filter. And the oil that is used is Valvoline (I think that's what they used, as they changed their oil change thingy).

Pento240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1981 Datsun 210 Deluxe, 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima Deluxe and 1999 Infiniti Q45t.

Every 3000 Miles. Mobil 1 10W-40 with Bosch Premium Oil Filter. I usually spend about $30 to $35 dollars on each oil change.

flartius
Car: 1996 - Nissan 240sx SE RB25DET
2008 - Yamaha YZF-R6 - SOLD
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

3000-5000 miles, Bosch filter and Castrol 5w-30 full syn.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Depends on the car. If it burns oil, it just gets oil added and the filter is changed ~5k.

EdBwoy

For the oil change interval (OCI), I have an uncanny ability to smell oil as I rub it with my fingers to know when it's deteriorated enough to warrant an oil change. Don't worry, the method is consistent - 2 hours after I wake up, no lotion on my hands from the night before.
Usually this works out to be between 4,500 to 6,000 mIles on the cars I drive regularly. I have changed oil at way longer and also way shorter durations depending on various factors.

On oil brand, I am very loyal to my bank account so I buy whichever is on sale. I use synthetic to prolong my OCIs when I'm doing a lot of driving and I am very busy, but conventional doesn't hurt depending on other factors (for example, a rebuilt engine will definitely get cheap conventional for the break in period).
Like frapjap above, oil burners get special treatment as well. I use the cheapest oil I can buy from walmart then keep topping up with intention to do a drain at some point because the bad stuff doesn't necessarily burn off with the good oil in normal operation. Duration varies, based on that infallible oil rub test mentioned above.

Oil filter. I buy the OEM Nissan one by the box. I figure it is good enough for a Maxima as well as the GTR supercar, it works for me.

I do not use any additives.

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

exploder - roughly every 3k miles, with whatever oil/filter combo is on sale
(never fram).

focus - roughly every 5k miles, with whatever synthetic oil is on sale with a k&n filter.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

All of my primary vehicles get synthetic with a premium filter, changed every 7,500 miles. I've been running Amsoil Synthetic XL and Amsoil filters for a little over a year now in everything, but prior to that I used Mobil 1 Synthetic and a Wix filter pretty exclusively for 7-8 years.

My beater Dodge Ram gets whatever is conventional on sale and is halfway decent. It only gets driven 1,000-2,000 miles a year anyways.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

3750 miles (although I have slowed to 5k miles recently - my car engine is burning more oil that I would like, and I am putting sufficient new oil every 1750 miles that it gets "swapped" out)

Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W-40

Stock Infiniti filter.

Z

DurableOilAMSOIL

Change my oil once every 25,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first. Using AMSOIL 100% Synthetic Signature Series and AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters. I invite you guys to get a free catalog and give AMSOIL a chance to improve your vehicles performance and durability. We have three tiers of oil 1. OE Series which is to be changed at your manufacturer specified intervals. 2. XL Series which last 12,000 miles or 1 year. 3. Signature Series which lasts 25,000 miles or one year.
https://www.amsoil.com/free-catalog.aspx?zo=1692866
No other company stands behind their oil and filters like AMSOIL.

EdBwoy

DurableOilAMSOIL wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:54 pm
... tiers of oil 1. OE Series which is to be changed at your manufacturer specified intervals. 2. XL Series which last 12,000 miles or 1 year. 3. Signature Series which lasts 25,000 miles or one year.
I have no doubt oil can be engineered to last 25,000 miles. I'll tell you why this can be scary. In a lot of modern cars I've driven, and as seen in these forums, oil usage is sometimes unavoidable.
This is no blame to AMSOIL, but people generally don't maintain or attend to their cars like they should. For example, a car with a 5 qt sump might burn/consume/use half a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. If the owner takes the car to a shop at 3,000 miles, they will be 1.5 qt short and wouldn't know.

However, imagine this same person were to buy some extended-life oil that promises 12,000 miles. The engine consumption is still steady at half a quart per 1K miles and if you do the math, by 10,000 miles, this engine will be air-lubricated and bad things happen because 5 quarts have been consumed out of the 5 quart oil pan/ reservoir.

I have seen it a lot, and that is why I encourage people to constantly check their dipsticks* [if so equipped - I'm watching you BMW]. Again, no blame to any oil brand, but it is a caveat I like to point out whenever long-life oil is brought up.

Because as much as this quote could be true, noone will stand behind your damaged engine but you.
No other company stands behind their oil and filters like AMSOIL.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Depends on the car. My DD and track car get annual oil changes as they don't get many miles put on them, well under 5K per year. the oil in my wife's Acura, which sees much more use, gets changed about every 5000 miles. I'm currently running Pennzoil and whatever filter my mechanic supplies.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

I simply don't trust running oil past 7,500 miles. I fully believe in Amsoil products and even most well known synthetic oils, but I have never liked how my old looks beyond 7,500 miles and honestly there are times I don't even like how it looks at 7,500...

Sure you can do an oil analysis but for myself it's not worth the risk. It costs me around $50 for a synthetic oil change or about the same with Amsoil, so I'm perfectly fine with spending $100/yr to keep my piece of mind.

DurableOilAMSOIL

My vehicles do not burn or consume oil. Have been doing AMSOIL 25,000 mile oil changes for 15+ years. We have oil for everyone's needs whether it's every 7500, 1200, or 25000. If your vehicle is burning oil by all means constantly check your oil levels and Add oil as needed. But not every vehicle burns oil. No other oil company offers any warranty in writing AMSOIL does stand behind their products and will cover repairs. Not even Mobil 1 offers a guarantee like we do.
"GUARANTEED PERFORMANCE

Like our products, the AMSOIL Limited Warranty is built with an extra measure of protection. While some other oil companies guarantee their products only until you reach a specified mileage we don't place restrictions on our warranty coverage based on total vehicle miles.

We stand behind our products for as long as you use them."

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

To the OP...
I also am an AMSOIL dealer. I used to be the “official” AMSOIL dealer for this site. While I don’t want to be “that guy” your posts are very generic and trust me when I say that people on here are looking for a more down to earth approach. Saying things like this...
DurableOilAMSOIL wrote:
Change my oil once every 25,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first
Will only drive people away. It’s blatantly straight off the AMSOIL website and not the “real world” approach people are looking for.
Stop being a robot...

DurableOilAMSOIL

PEZi wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:33 pm
To the OP...
I also am an AMSOIL dealer. I used to be the “official” AMSOIL dealer for this site. While I don’t want to be “that guy” your posts are very generic and trust me when I say that people on here are looking for a more down to earth approach. Saying things like this...
DurableOilAMSOIL wrote:
Change my oil once every 25,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first
Will only drive people away. It’s blatantly straight off the AMSOIL website and not the “real world” approach people are looking for.
Stop being a robot...

I do in fact change my oil every 25,000 miles or 1 year on all four of my vehicles and have never had any issues. But if you read my post not everyone who uses AMSOIL chooses to go 25,000 miles between oil changes. That is why there are three tiers of AMSOIL OE rated at OEM intervals or 7,500 miles, XL rated at 12,000 miles, and Signature rated at 25 k or one year. If you burn oil it is better to go with OE and get extra quarts as needed.

And no I am not a robot but it sounds like you are inexperienced using AMSOIL and not educated about AMSOIL.

PEZi

DurableOilAMSOIL wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:39 pm

I do in fact change my oil every 25,000 miles or 1 year on all four of my vehicles and have never had any issues. But if you read my post not everyone who uses AMSOIL chooses to go 25,000 miles between oil changes. That is why there are three tiers of AMSOIL OE rated at OEM intervals or 7,500 miles, XL rated at 12,000 miles, and Signature rated at 25 k or one year. If you burn oil it is better to go with OE and get extra quarts as needed.

And no I am not a robot but it sounds like you are inexperienced using AMSOIL and not educated about AMSOIL.
Look, if you're real... more power to ya. All I'm saying is that your posts sound very robotic. I've been using AMSOIL for the last 10 years in every car I or my family has owned. Not saying its a bad product. Just saying you sound fishy.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

DurableOilAMSOIL wrote:
PEZi wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:33 pm
To the OP...

Stop being a robot...

I'm gonna jump into this for a bit....

Do you have any analysis of the oil after being used for 25k miles or being in the engine for 1 complete year? If so, please share it with us. I would like to understand more about how this particular oil can last that long, and under what conditions too.

DurableOilAMSOIL

PEZi wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:06 pm
DurableOilAMSOIL wrote:

Look, if you're real... more power to ya. All I'm saying is that your posts sound very robotic. I've been using AMSOIL for the last 10 years in every car I or my family has owned. Not saying its a bad product. Just saying you sound fishy.

I have been using AMSOIL in all of my vehicles for 15 years. Extended drain intervals are a reality. Mobil 1 is playing catch up to AMSOIL they just released an extended drain interval of 15,000 miles or one year. If your vehicle is not burning or consuming oil you will have zero problems going 25,000 miles or one year. You should still regularly check your oil level just as you would tire pressure. Your oil is only as good as your filter. Most oil filters on the market are still using cardboard and paper. AMSOIL has the finest micro Nani fiber Filtration on the market. You sound fishy because you say you have been a dealer for 10 years yet have zero knowledge of AMSOIL Premium Signature Series extended drain intervals. I am not here to force anyone to doing an extended drain interval, just educating everyone that it is a reality. Most mechanics love milking customers every 3000 miles with inferior conventional oil with the cheapest cardboard filters they find.

To understand more about AMSOIL check this out:

Synthetic VS Conventional

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

datechboss101 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm gonna jump into this for a bit....

Do you have any analysis of the oil after being used for 25k miles or being in the engine for 1 complete year? If so, please share it with us. I would like to understand more about how this particular oil can last that long, and under what conditions too.
This guy is here for nothing more than a sales pitch for Amsoil.
We don't need this here.

PEZi

DurableOilAMSOIL wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 pm
You sound fishy because you say you have been a dealer for 10 years yet have zero knowledge of AMSOIL Premium Signature Series extended drain intervals.
See, you didn’t even care to read my post. I never said I had been a dealer for 10 years. I said I’ve been using it for 10 years. I’ve only been a dealer for 8. And in what way did I ever say I didn’t understand the extended drain interval? All I said is that your post sounded robotic...
Buzzman wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:57 pm

This guy is here for nothing more than a sales pitch for Amsoil.
We don't need this here.
It’s been a while since I’ve been active on here, but this type of s*** didn’t fly here “back in my day”

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

DurableOilAMSOIL wrote:

All right bro. I feel the need to head in here and point out exactly where this thread went south since you felt the need to use the reporting function on a very long standing NICO member and you were in fact the one who started with the accusations/name calling. Pezi was giving you legitimate advice on how not to be just another advertiser that people skip over because the entire purpose of this thread was to set up an amsoil pitch. You're a vendor. I get it. It's your job. Pezi was giving legitimate advice though, and you decided to spout off with this comment I've quoted here. You said he sounds inexperienced in amsoil when he didn't give any advice ABOUT amsoil in his post. He was trying to help a brother out and you took it very personally. The reporting function is not how you settle an argument.

PEZi

Ace2cool wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:51 pm

All right bro. I feel the need to head in here and point out exactly where this thread went south since you felt the need to use the reporting function on a very long standing NICO member and you were in fact the one who started with the accusations/name calling. Pezi was giving you legitimate advice on how not to be just another advertiser that people skip over because the entire purpose of this thread was to set up an amsoil pitch. You're a vendor. I get it. It's your job. Pezi was giving legitimate advice though, and you decided to spout off with this comment I've quoted here. You said he sounds inexperienced in amsoil when he didn't give any advice ABOUT amsoil in his post. He was trying to help a brother out and you took it very personally. The reporting function is not how you settle an argument.
Look, I’ll even admit my fault here as I may or may not have had a few drinks when making my initial post in this thread. Whoever this guy is, we should be on the same page promoting AMSOIL... I made a knee jerk reaction and called him out on sounding like a robot as opposed to a real person. But since I made that initial comment several other posts even in other threads have come off very “robotic” and seem as if the dude isn’t here for the right reasons. I apologize, but it seems sketchy and rubs me the wrong way :gotme

Ozzie
Car: '90 300ZX twin turbo - 2 seater
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S twin turbo
'06 MK5 Golf tdi

Amsoil doesn't even register on my radar, because it's not available here.
I change my oil every 6-12 months. I don't rack up a lot of kms in any of my cars.

flartius
Car: 1996 - Nissan 240sx SE RB25DET
2008 - Yamaha YZF-R6 - SOLD
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

I know I'm the new guy here, but your posts do seem overly scripted. But one thing I am proud to say is that here at least you're not being destroyed and flammed. Try posting something like this over on Zilvia and see what happens.

I ran Amsoil on my motorcycle and it did just fine, but to say it was better than any other type of oil... I couldn't tell a difference except when I was at the counter paying for it.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

DurableOilAMSOIL wrote:
Mobil 1 is playing catch up to AMSOIL they just released an extended drain interval of 15,000 miles or one year.
That is an incorrect statement. Mobil 1 has had an extended drain oil of 15K for 13 years.

Scroll down to 2005 https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the ... -1-history

DurableOilAMSOIL

darylzero wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:33 pm
DurableOilAMSOIL wrote:
Mobil 1 is playing catch up to AMSOIL they just released an extended drain interval of 15,000 miles or one year.
That is an incorrect statement. Mobil 1 has had an extended drain oil of 15K for 13 years.

Scroll down to 2005 https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the ... -1-history
Yes you are correct meant to mention this new one "Mobil 1 Annual Protection offers maximum wear protection, helps prevent harmful sludge and deposits, and extends oil life up to one full year or 20,000 miles."

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

darylzero wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:33 pm
Mobil 1 has had an extended drain oil of 15K for 13 years.

Yeah I was going to say, I've seen that stuff on the shelf for a very very long time. They just came out with their 20k OCI product too.

I run Mobil 1 0w 40 European formula in my Focus ST and 240. The ST takes a long time for the oil to heat up fully, so the 0w 40 helps with cold weather fuel economy and such.

The vette gets traditional mobil 1 5w30 as recommended by the factory, and it gets changed whenever the ECU tells me to change it.

My miata doesn't currently have an engine, so it doesn't get s*** :rotfl

PEZi

macgiver wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:14 am
2 kinds of PLAYAZZ in the purple-oil and the ams-oil arena: SHILLS & MARKS ,aba de,aba de - that's all folks :spitout:
The Purp is a gimmick. All marketing... no real world performance.

Return to “General Chat”