How much reliable power on OEM SR20DET Sleeves ?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Master Chief
Car: Nissan S14

Hi All !

As having a missfortune with my Darton Sleeves apperantly leaking coolant into the Oil pan just after only 100KM after rebuild, i was thinking of not taking a chance on dogi install again, and rebuilding on a new block keeping the OEM Sleeves.

I aim for about 400-500 HP, Probably around 8000RPM and a max of 30PSI ocationaly.Daily drive for most of the time on lower boost setting.

What types of reliable long term power figures do you guys get/got/heard of somone getting, on a safe 86.5mm or 87mm bore with a SR20DET - with stock sleeves ?

How much boost would be safe to run on OEM Sleeves , and what bore size ?

Allso, why was i and others tempted to install sleeves ? To tell the truth, i was told that above "this" and "that" i will need them, but come to think of it, i never heard of any type of failure, because sleeves were not instlalled.

Has any of you heard of such failures, and what exactly happend and why ?

Hopping to save some head akes and money, this time around,Thanks, Dany.

exode
Car: 90' 240 w/ 400hp SR20DET

I believe Jim Wolf Technologies makes sleeves that will fit your application. Maybe even Brian Crower. I'd go with the Jim Wolf ones if you had the chance, you won't be dissapointed with them and you could go beyond the numbers you want with these as long as the rest of your motor is up to par.

Master Chief

I dont want you to take this the wrong way, but - HAVE YOU READ WHAT I WROTE AND WHAT IAM ASKING ?

Did i ask where to get sleeves from ?

I DONT WANT TO USE SLEEVES AGAIN !

Iam asking about the reliability of the OEM Sleeves, and what power figures i can get, keeping the sleeves OEM.

I know, that many get big power from OEM sleeves, and i was wondering about numbers, and reliability.

Thanks !

Master Chief

Common guys ? Iam sure you can give me tons of info on this.....I really need the help.

Thanks.

doridori23
Car: 1996 SR20deT 240sx (mine) , 1998 KA24de (wife's)

Master Chief wrote:Common guys ? Iam sure you can give me tons of info on this.....I really need the help.

Thanks.
For reliable daily driving I have seen several hitting 400whp. The guys an Enjuku have actually tried to blow up a stock redtop bottom end on a dyno and they trashed it at 525 whp for 10 straight runs and it did not blow up. This doesn't mean that I would run 525 but it gives you an idea of the safety of the bottom end. The head and headgasket is another story though...

Did you build the last motor yourself? Why go back to OEM if you have Dart already? Is repair not an option?

Master Chief

I built the engine myself, exept offcours the machine work, wich i supervised.

Unfortunatly , looks like installing DARTON type sleeves into our engine, is a first for my machine shop, and since i dont have any other around, i had to take the chance.Still, i heard horror storys even from guys who had the engine sleeved at the sleeve companies themselves, like Eagle , for example.

You can see here my build tread, almost up until the end :http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=278153

I dont think that if the sleeves are the cause of my Coolant leak, that this will be something repairable.

Common, leme hear some more Power figures on OEM sleeves - This really builds up my confidence

Geno750

Dude you made this same exact thread on fa two days before this one, and they gave you some damn good answers. Why post it again on here?

Master Chief

Since i can count one or two hands, the number of people that run after market sleeves succsesfuly.

So, i am trying to ghater as many opinions as i can get on the oem sleeves capabilities.

Notice how i got only 1 or 2 relevant replaies, on this forum. I think its obvious why i post the same on other forums.

I'll let on on a secret. I have posted this on some other forums beside these two, as well

Geno750

Master Chief wrote:Since i can count one or two hands, the number of people that run after market sleeves succsesfuly.

So, i am trying to ghater as many opinions as i can get on the oem sleeves capabilities.

Notice how i got only 1 or 2 relevant replaies, on this forum. I think its obvious why i post the same on other forums.

I'll let on on a secret. I have posted this on some other forums beside these two, as well
First, the lack of people running after market sleeves, and making power that meets or exceeds your own power goals should have been your answer. Second, why would I ask the same question in all the threads you made.... I only need to see the answer once.

Master Chief

Right .

So, exept Geno750 - Can anyone else help with some more relevant Info on the subject ?

Thanks.

doridori23
Car: 1996 SR20deT 240sx (mine) , 1998 KA24de (wife's)

doridori23 wrote:
For reliable daily driving I have seen several hitting 400whp. The guys an Enjuku have actually tried to blow up a stock redtop bottom end on a dyno and they trashed it at 525 whp for 10 straight runs and it did not blow up. This doesn't mean that I would run 525 but it gives you an idea of the safety of the bottom end. The head and headgasket is another story though...
In case you missed my post. BTW your build up thread is looks nice perhaps you should update it with the exception of water leaking. How bad is the leak btw?

slik_s13
Car: 1990 nissan 240sx hatch back

there are very few machine shops in the us that can install sleeves into an sr block correctly from what i heard from jeff at heavy throttle. the oem sleeves are pretty solid you should of just left them. i currently am doing a rebuild and my engine isnt as black as yours im surprised, how much mileage was on it before the build? sorry i didnt read your build thread.
Modified by sliksta1 at 11:52 AM 8/17/2007

Master Chief

doridori, i saw your post - Thanks !The leak is pretty bad. Every day i drive to work and back, i am missing half of the expention tank of coolant.The oil is filled with coolant, although i only got 2 time some small traces of mayo, on the oil filler cap .There is no OIL IN COOLANT, only COOLANT IN OIL.

I emptied the Sump, and all the oil was GREEN Colored, like the coolant color.

I am hopping it might be something else, but i dont see what can it be.

Compression test is fine, leak down test is good, no smoking, no problems - running great - only problem - coolant in the oil.

I really need to update the rebuild, with some more pictures - i just dont have the energy for it, if the car doesnt run right.

SLIKTA1 - My engine was about 180,000Km , before my rod bearing went, and i did the rebuilt you can see in the tread.

spec-u-later
Car: Yaris...FML

Around 425 whp is a good number.

FAST-DATSUN

at 86mm stock sleeves are not the factor that limits the HP it the tuning. Stock sleeves are fine. You will not need more that 25-28psi on a good build and the right parts for 500RWH

spider_slayer
Car: s14 240sx, s13 240sx

i believe the stock sleeves are nikasil coated which is VERY expensive. stock sleeves are the way to go unless your gonna do something like bore and stroke the motor.

Master Chief

Yup. I guess that next time, i'll ask first, and resleeve or not, later.....

FAST-DATSUN -What parts/build exactly, that gets you to 500WHP at 25-28 PSI ?At what revs ???

trinidatsun
Car: datsun b310 sr20vet half chasis

ive seen stock sleeved sr20dets in trinidad well over 600whp n taking abuse.
500whp shouldnt be a problem. recently built a 540whp s13 motor on 30 psi no problems. jon rogers 240sx did 900whp with stock sleeves need i say more?

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”