How much is a timing belt supposed to vibrate?

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
blueblitzpup
Car: 1986 Z31 Turbo

So last year when I did my head gaskets, I put a fresh timing kit on while I was at it. When I followed the directions on tensioning the belt, it caused a whine not different from that of a supercharger. I backed off the tension just a bit (I know that isn't ideal, please don't nag on this) and the noise went away. I had the timing cover off to verify my timing because of an ignition/maf issue, and while I had the cover off I noticed the belt vibrating quite a bit, most noticeably between the two cam gears. I read from a few sources that the noise I heard when I first installed the belt was from it being under too much tension, but now it appears that it may not be under enough and that is generating some concern.

Is this normal, and if not, what is? The timing kit I got showed on the included guide that the kit fit for a villager, but I understand that they share the same vg30 engine. Any insight would be appreciated!

I recorded a video of my situation as well: https://youtu.be/qssRYRgcBVo

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

That does look a bit excessive btu then I'm nto prone to running the engine without the covers on. the FSM details how to measure for correct tension.

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”