how much fuel after fuel light comes on?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
HachiRoku

so, how much fuel is left to burn when the fuel light starts to come on?

i've been doing octane tests with 87, 89, 91 octane (california) and recently just tried 87 and 89. Waiting to burn the 89 to as much as possible and then seeing how 91 feels when i drive it. I know Nissan suggests 91 octane minimum, but I want to see if it really makes a difference when my engine already has 115k+ miles on it....so far, it seems that acceleration on 89 octane is better than 87 because it burns slower, thus, having combustion throughout the entire stroke of the piston and etc.

anyway, i want to burn off as much fuel as possible before so i can figure out when i will really need to add fuel because i want to burn off as much octane as reasonably possible before going back to the pump.

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

just buy a one or two gallon tank and get extra fuel in there. then just run it till it dies and pour the new fuel in and get the rest at a nearby gas station. Where did you get that name? Isnt that a Toyota name?

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

HachiRoku wrote:so, how much fuel is left to burn when the fuel light starts to come on?
i usually ignore it if it comes on and goes off, but if it comes on and stays on i can get about 10-12 miles out of it.

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

hachi roku = toyota sprinter trueno = initial d = AE86 = drifting cartoon

HachiRoku

ninjak84 wrote:hachi roku = toyota sprinter trueno = initial d = AE86 = drifting cartoon

actually.....

initial d = drifting anime (don't say cartoon)

hachi-roku = toyota sprinter trueno = AE86

hachi-roku was made popular by initial d

heh....today when i was on my way to the laundromat, someone in a hachi-go (AE85) wanted to buy my S13, but of course, I wouldn't sell it

HachiRoku

SpeedRacer1 wrote:just buy a one or two gallon tank and get extra fuel in there. then just run it till it dies and pour the new fuel in and get the rest at a nearby gas station.

I heard it's bad to let the fuel run out because it can mess up the engine somehow, i forgot what exactly, but someone said not to let fuel run out

SWIFT_DRIFT

atually.....

Toyota Sprinter Trueno = AE86 (chasis #?) = Hachi-Roku

in that order. Hachiroku is a nickname given to the sprinters. it's also like Nissan Silvia = S13 (chasis #), RPS13, S14, S15.

initial d did not make the ae86 popular. they have been cult cars in japan long before initial d came out. you would be correct in that statement if you meant initial d made the ae86 popular over here in the us. if that's what you meant, then you are correct :)

HachiRoku

SWIFT_DRIFT wrote:atually.....

Toyota Sprinter Trueno = AE86 (chasis #?) = Hachi-Roku

in that order. Hachiroku is a nickname given to the sprinters. it's also like Nissan Silvia = S13 (chasis #), RPS13, S14, S15.

initial d did not make the ae86 popular. they have been cult cars in japan long before initial d came out. you would be correct in that statement if you meant initial d made the ae86 popular over here in the us. if that's what you meant, then you are correct :)

well....yeah, i don't know much about the ae86 scene in japan etc. so i guess i'm partially correct for saying initial d made the ae86 popular because i've noticed the ae86 getting more popular and are being bought up....before initial d was popular here, i could easily find an ae86 in the classifieds, now people are buying them wherever they can find them

anyway, i use the name hachiroku because it sounds cool when you say it

SpeedRacer1

Actually its kinda dumb to call yourself that since you drive a nissan, that would be like popping a toyota emblem on your nissan because it looks cool. UNLESS you chose your name because you like the sound of the number 86 in japanese. (Thats just a little odd to me)

It doesnt have to be the Trueno, it can be the levin too. They are the same chassis except one has pop up headlights and the other has fixed lights.

As for letting it run till empty, you could probably feel the engine dying when its on its last breaths, just put the extra gas in when you do. Worth a try once I would think unless you think it really will mess up the engine bad.

HachiRoku

SpeedRacer1 wrote:Actually its kinda dumb to call yourself that since you drive a nissan, that would be like popping a toyota emblem on your nissan because it looks cool.

:mad: :mad: :mad: god damnit, why are you gonna say what i did is dumb and then contradict your argument by saying:
SpeedRacer1 wrote:UNLESS you chose your name because you like the sound of the number 86 in japanese.

to be more correct, 86 in japanese is hachi-juu-roku. 8-6 in japanese is hachi-roku. besides, a name is just a freaking name, why does it matter what my name means as to what i drive?
SpeedRacer1 wrote:It doesnt have to be the Trueno, it can be the levin too. They are the same chassis except one has pop up headlights and the other has fixed lights.

yeah, it can be the levin too, we just forgot about it for some reason
SpeedRacer1 wrote:As for letting it run till empty, you could probably feel the engine dying when its on its last breaths, just put the extra gas in when you do. Worth a try once I would think unless you think it really will mess up the engine bad.
i'll just run it til the fuel light stays on, i haven't burned out that much of my tank yet but i will do that if i want to burn out as much fuel as possible

SpeedRacer1

You might wanna take your tank off too when its really low and clean it out good so that dirt and other contamnents dont get run into the engine. That may be why you heard that it was bad for the engine.

240SXy
Car: 1993 240SX coupe

Hey Speed Racer, be nice. you don't drive a Mach 5 do you?:D

89sxRCR
Car: destroying self esteem

K car, i remember our first conversation...how i hated it. Now I...I...I think i have fallen in love with your quote system. It seems to own people more by showing them what they wrote and how stupid it was. This is a thank you for showing me the light. ;)

240SXy
Car: 1993 240SX coupe

K_Car, Hate to burst your omnipotent bubble, but my owner's manual says Recommended Fuel:Unleaded premium gasoline, at least 91 AKI number (RON 96).Stick that in your Fast and the Furious APC L.E.D. tail pipe and smoke it!(You may have an S14 which may recommend a different fuel from my S13, in that case, just turn off your windshield washer nozzle lights.)

ssnnooppyy
Car: my 1990 240sx

YEAH! SO THERE!!!!! (sorry, I just wanted to feel like a part of this raging debate, and that's really all I could come up with.....)

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

From my understanding of what I've read on here and in my FSM and other things, the s14 has 9.5:1 pistons, requiring it to have a higher octane fuel so it can combuste easier :) In my FSM and in my fuel door it recommends premium. Hell whats a few pennies anyways, the money you spend now may make up for parts not breaking down in the future.

HachiRoku

[quote=" Lost_To_A_K-Car Nissan recommends a gasoline with a RON of 91. The number on the gas pump is the AKI, which is RON+MON/2. The recommended AKI for our cars is 87. Unless your car is knocking on 87 gas, you're wasting your money buying higher-grade gasoline.[/quote]My S13 is a DOHC and the manual says 91 AKI.

Quote »Higher grade gas will not make your car faster.Higher grade gas will not make your car faster.Higher grade gas will not make your car faster. [/quote]

I did not say it made my car faster, I said it was better. Maybe 'better' was too vague for you and you took it the wrong way...i should've said smoother because it definitely was rougher driving than with higher octane.

leper421
Car: Current: 2011 370z
Previous: 2003 350z, 1991 240sx

According to the FSM, if the ecu detects any knocking it retards the timing untill the knock goes away. So you shouldnt even feel knocking if you are using fuel with not enough octane. Since your timing is retarded, you are not getting full power, hence you WILL be slower with regular fuel.

Two-Forty

the thread question still haven't been answered. That's funny the topic always gets strafed off, I thought by reading I would have an idea in case of emergency times when im far far far from a gas station I can know how miles I have left until my engine dies out, but I guess I still don't know, is it 10-15 miles? Please reply I really want to know this, and no I wouldn't risk my 89 stallin out because its low on gas.

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

i can get 10-12 miles after the light comes on and stays on. i ignore it when it comes on then goes off.

Two-Forty

thank you!

MasterMan
Car: nothing running at the moment city buses "uck here

first off u shouldent run your gas to empty cuz there is **** that settles at the bottem of your tank over the years.. yes your pump has a filter on it but how offten have u changed it?

and now for my question... if i put 110 octain gas in my car.. will it blow up? or would be ok for the car.. ? ? ?

HachiRoku

110 will do nothing and is totally unnecessary unless you have turbo and/or some kind of special racing engine....i don't know if 110 octane is where they start using lead, but if it does, then you're going to damage your cats.

whether or not it will damage the engine, i really don't know, but i really don't see any neccesity for getting anything as high as 110

sil80drifter
Car: 1990 240SX Hatch

Correctomundo, driving on empty often, will mess up ur fuel pump, which in turn means a trip to the junkyard (or the dealer if u can afford it)...Happened to a lot of my friends' cars, and even to a few older cadillacs whos owners thought they could do better than 13mpg and kept driving with the light on. Not that this is a Caddy board....Not that I like Caddys...Not that I should get flamed for saying anything about them...Not that I'm running away or anything ...*foot steps quickly disappearing...* Not that that wasn't a horrible way of trying to show that I am...Done.

sil80drifter

P.S.: The other half of my brain would like to apologize for its counterparts incredibly foolish behavior, and to its defense add that they both had 3 test today, two of which were calculus based (Hey K-Car, one of them was physics, ain't u happy for me?!)

Sygerwulf
Car: 91 240SX SE

Yep, I let my 89 shadow run outta gas once and about a week later the fuel pump died on me while I was in Missori. Had to get a new one and have it installed, nearly $400 :(

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”