How much does the temp affect cvt fluid volume?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ObsessiveDad
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Got myself overly paranoid about transmission issues now after I've started doing some precautionary high mileage maintenance on my 2015 SL AWD.
Did a fluid swap recently, (obsessed over the procedure for about a week before doing it) so with the car cold I drained, measured what came out, put the exact amount back in (Nissan fluid), plus a few extra oz's to overflow drain to make sure I wasn't under. Found what I thought to be the temp in my reader, so when it hit the zone I shut off the car and popped the overflow plug, expecting a small stream to the amount of the extra that I added...but I got a gush! and it was still flowing pretty heavily when I had drained all the extra I added.
So hypothetically I was left with the correct amount, because I added exactly what I took out, then added another measured "extra" amount, which I drained off. But all procedures I've read says the overflow should be just barely running out. The car was level, so now I'm wondering either if either there was too much fluid in there to begin with? (which I don't think so because I haven't had any issues, this was just a precautionary change) or I wasn't reading the temp correctly and the fluid was hotter than it should have been, hence expanded more. In hindsight I should have kept the amount I drained in it's separate container and let it come down to ambient temp and remeasure against the "extra" amount I added...but it went in with the other fluid.

I've seen the diy dipstick measure, how accurate is that? I haven't noticed any changes good or bad ( but again I wasn't having problems to begin with, just getting up there in KM's)

I'm probably going to tackle it again soon, as you're only swapping 30% of the fluid, and mine did NOT look good. There were no particles, and it didn't smell "burnt" but it was VERY dark, and I honestly don't know when it was changed last...long story short I don't trust my dealer.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

ObsessiveDad wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:29 am
Found what I thought to be the temp in my reader, so when it hit the zone I shut off the car and popped the overflow plug, expecting a small stream to the amount of the extra that I added...but I got a gush! and it was still flowing pretty heavily when I had drained all the extra I added.
The car has to be running when you use the overflow plug. Big mistake.

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:16 am
ObsessiveDad wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:29 am
Found what I thought to be the temp in my reader, so when it hit the zone I shut off the car and popped the overflow plug, expecting a small stream to the amount of the extra that I added...but I got a gush! and it was still flowing pretty heavily when I had drained all the extra I added.
The car has to be running when you use the overflow plug. Big mistake.
Running and level

ObsessiveDad
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Welp...got that sorted, thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”