How much boost?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
SrSLeePeR

How much boost can an S13 SR20DET handle with an TurboXS RFL BOV and APexi N1 Exhaust? I heard it can handle up to 13-15lbs safely but I'm not too sure. I dont have enough money for a large FMIC yet so I was just wondering what limit I can safely take the boost up to. Thanks...Keep in mind that the only modification would be the TurboXS BOV and Apexi N1 exhaust system....Stock everything else..including IC..-Thanks..BTW...What kind of IC is everyone using? -Thanks Again.

Daunttless

I wouldn't take it above 9 with a stock FMIC.

You could probably hit 12-13 with a front mount, so long as the fuel is adequate.

I H8 UR DSM

Greddy Rspl Front Mount intercooler here.

Yea, stock fuel and stock intercooler, stock downpipe, etc i wouldnt want that thing running over 10psi if it was mine....

i dont like the rfl bov, even compared to the other turbo XS bov's, but i would be interested in why you are choosing that bov? is it just because its loud? there are better sounding bov's, and loud bov's, i personally would recommend anything else.

i have the type H turbo xs, and its almost too loud as it is, its anoying, but i do love it, but that rfl is kinda cheasy...

Atom12
Car: Baggo, cars, and more recently home improvement...I need a job.

What is Max HP on an SR20DET with stock internals?

Stock SR internals are good to 400 hp and a little more if tuned properly. At 15 psi on the stock turbo and fuel system, with a large front mount intercooler, fuel pump and high flow exhaust typical power is 230-250 RWHP and around 230 ft/lbs. of torque.

I ripped this from:http://www.heavythrottle.com/

Daunttless

15 PSI on the stock T25 will be running it fairly ragged, it all depends on how long you want your stuff to last...

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

ragged is an understatement, at 15psi your killing the dang motor. Go and get a S14 turbo and run it at 16lbs

that's my .02

SrSLeePeR

Thanks everyone..This site is the BEST! The reason I was considering TurboXS RFL BOV was....YES i know it's loud and that is what I truely want, but other than that, I'm mostly concerned about functionality. (is that a word?) But anyways, I was debating between RFL, GReddy Type-S, and BlitZ SS BOV. I'm thinking GReddy Type-S because it is one of the most commonly used BOV's out there and can really be trusted, but its so common and I want something a little different. I thought about HKS SS BOV, but that'll cost me an arm, a leg, and my left nut and I seriously do not think it is needed that much. Plus it kinda makes the same sound as the Type-S so why pay more

Thanks for all the replies guys...I appreciate it..

nissandet240
Car: My car, DJ sytem, PC's and Technology

hey moving....so the t28 wouldnt make 18psi? i was planning on a s13 red or CA wiht a t28 @ 18psi hks or greddy V-spec FMIC. my goal is 333 hp as the M3 (since i cant affort it):(

I H8 UR DSM

you need to upgrade your fuel.

Daunttless

running at that much PSI makes it inefficient. You have a threshold that you will cross, where the benefits in compression will be negated by the heat you are adding. And you will definitely need to upgrade your fuel.

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

nissandet240 wrote:hey moving....so the t28 wouldnt make 18psi? i was planning on a s13 red or CA wiht a t28 @ 18psi hks or greddy V-spec FMIC. my goal is 333 hp as the M3 (since i cant affort it):(
The T28 would do it, but it would be 'better' on the CA due to the lower displacement, you might want to go a little larger on the SR since it's going to need a slight bit more airflow.

Most CA guys go to the S14 or S15 T28, but I've heard SR guys saying it's too small, but the GTiR turbo is great for both of them.

hope that helps,

laterPaul

Daunttless

Its been a long, frustrating day, but as I can remember the major complaint on the GTiR turbo was that either the compressor or turbine housing is too small. One or the other, I know its important, but I can't think right now. Paul, do you remember what its flaw is?

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

i might be late here....but i was always under the impression that a stock S13 SR20DET motor thats used as a DAILY driver should always be run at 7psi. it gives something like the best performance for the least wear on the engine.

true? false?

SrSLeePeR

not late at all...Thanks..I think the stock acuated boost setting is perfect..they set it like that for a reason right? I think its 6-7psi...correct me if I'm wrong..

-ThAnKS

I H8 UR DSM

yes. to be safe. and on stock parts. BUT- most of us upgrade our fuel, intercooler, and larger exhaust, some sort of tuning device or tuned ecu, when doing the swap, which allows us to run more boost. the stock turbo's max 'efficiency' is at 14-16psi....but efficiency is a tricky word...the car is faster at 18psi than at 14psi, just less efficient.

dont fall into the trap thinking "im going to get a SR20det for my 240 for $2500+installation!!!!"...i hear it all the time. Prepared to have about 2000-5000 $ available when doing the swap for other parts.

Daunttless

I would rephrase that a little Jesse.

Quote »but efficiency is a tricky word...the car is faster at 18psi than at 14psi, just less efficient.[/quote]

The turbo is compressing more air at 18 psi, but if its less efficient, the increase in heat lowers the density of the air to the point where you are compressing more, but getting less as the air molecules spread apart from the heat. There technically more compression, but it has spread the air out so thin that less air is actually getting in.

The way that should be phrased is, at 18psi the car will be compressing more, but it may be faster at 14psi because of the efficiency range of the turbo.

italianopride21

SrSLeePeR wrote:The reason I was considering TurboXS RFL BOV was....YES i know it's loud and that is what I truely want
hey srsleeper i never have known a sleeper to have a loud exhaust! heh, not flamin, just think its funny... :pface

SrSLeePeR

Quote »hey srsleeper i never have known a sleeper to have a loud exhaust! heh, not flamin, just think its funny... [/quote]I meant sleeping as in...doesn't look like a fixed up car...it's all good...BTW though...SR20DET's with exhausts are very quiet...especially if you get the right one..

Daunttless

You'd be a bigger sleeper with some altezza lights, unpainted body kit, LED windshield nozzles, and chrome wiper blades. : )

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Dauntless you are such a NooB... we all know that its "blade" not "blades"!

Daunttless

Heh, my bad.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”