How many miles do you have on your FX? Any major problems?

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
OneofaKind949
Car: Infiniti

I'm very curious as to how well an Infiniti lasts over a long period of time. As a current Infiniti owner, I consider Infiniti one of the very few luxury car makers that you don't lease, but you actually buy and keep for a long period of time. I would never buy a German or domestic luxury car. If you check consumer report for any of the German manufactures in terms of reliability you'll find they are horrible cars to own past their warranties. So please tell me how many miles do you have on your Infiniti and have you had any major problems over the years you've driven your pride and joy. Your input is greatly appreciated.

I have a 1996 I30T with 134,000 miles on it. No major problems at all.

gbelnap
Car: 78 280Z, 04 FX35, 06 G35

120k on the FX35. Only issue is door locks (lazy passanger door lock actuator) and the driver's seat splitting.

Socaldiablo
Car: 2004 Infiniti QX56 - Black on Willow
2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Black on Black
2006 Ducati ST3
2008 Kawasaki KLX450r

I've got a 2004 FX45 with just under 36,000 on the odo. No major problems and only 1 minor problem, which was the common "bubbling dashboard" (replaced for free under warranty). Everything else has been routine maintenance stuff. I love this car and agree that this is a car I will own for a long time.

Chris92SE
Car: 2017 QX30
2003 Pathfinder LE

Similar to above, I have a 2005 FX35 AWD with 65k and the only problem was the bubbling dash, which was replaced for free by Infiniti.

Needed an alignment really bad at 60k. Never hit any curbs or bad potholes. No big deal, but thought I would throw that in.

The original battery died this summer, so it was apx 5 years old, which isn't very long for a battery. I don't understand why high end companies like Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes, don't just give you something like an Optima (or some other spiral cell) right out of the box. I have had a spiral cell in my Maxima for 10 years and it's still going strong.

I really love mine, too. It will be difficult to part with.

h00kemh0rns
Car: 2011 Infiniti FX35

My 2005 (65,000 miles) had the drivers side seat rip (about 4.5 yrs in; repaired under ext. warranty), accelerator that stuck (about 4 yrs in; repaired under warranty), and dash that cracked close to the windshield (this was post accident so not sure if it was related or not as it was a couple months after repairs.)

Wo Phat
Car: Infinity FX 35

have a 2005 fx35 purchased near new and now have $105K. following issues dealt/dealing with:

* lazy driver door locks (services more than once)
* bubbling dash replaced twice
* drivers seat splitting
* woofer cutting in/out (my guess is bose system)
* blemished paint on hood ($@%%#@ birds)
* catalytic converters going out (dealer wants $2,250 to replace)
* avg 17 mpg
* tire pressure monitoring usually shows at least one tire flat (it's not)

Rishi1331
Car: 06' m45s

Wo Phat wrote:have a 2005 fx35 purchased near new and now have $105K. following issues dealt/dealing with:

* drivers seat splitting
* avg 17 mpg

Sounds like we have the same problems.
...you find any catalytic converters yet....

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

The FX is one of Infiniti's best sellers and probably one of it's most trouble free models. Some of the more expensive issues are: oil consumption, dash board bubbles/cracks, and premature wheel bearing failures. Aside from these issues a person may experience other "minor" issues common with the Infiniti brand that others have listed.

clrh2o53
Car: 2003 fx35 infinity

I have an 03 now has 74K:
recently had struts and shocks done
some oil consumption
and just recently sometimes cain't get shifter out of park without depressing release
I also agree I'm in it for the long haul.

Wo Phat
Car: Infinity FX 35

Rishi1331 wrote:
Wo Phat wrote:have a 2005 fx35 purchased near new and now have $105K. following issues dealt/dealing with:

* drivers seat splitting
* avg 17 mpg

Sounds like we have the same problems.
...you find any catalytic converters yet....

i ordered from auto parts wholesale the Eastern Catalytic brand "OEM" replacements. they are not exactly OEM but very close as far as fitment goes. Had to use some aftermarket nuts and bolts for various attach points, but nothing too difficult. so far so good, but i haven't had them in very long. i will report if any problems arise.

rollielvp

2006 FX35, 71.5k miles - TPMS acts up showing one tire is flat while it is not. Oil consumption seems to be excessive. No other issues.

Nicholle
Car: 2007 FX35 with Nav/tech

2007 FX 35, 90K miles. Odometer recall, bubbling dash, electrical short, engine grounds replaced, burned ignition coils, fried ECM. I absolutely loved the car until 2 weeks ago when all the electrical issues popped up. I'm 3K into repairs and at this point plan to keep the car but my next purchase will probably be a Lexus.

keld
Car: 2009 fx 35

70,000 on a 2009 fx35. What a car!
awd is great in adverse weather. Handles the snow well. New tires at 60,000 miles: had them siped. amazing results.

keld
Car: 2009 fx 35

I need to ask about the catalytic converters, what are the symptoms? I hear strange things! idling and after I stop.

wildthang
Car: FX-35 2005

I have 87,ooo plus miles. I love my truck, got it used in 2009. I have been having the same problems others have listed such as 1. bubbling dashboard ( replaced by Infiniti recall 2012 ), 2. had to replace the struts 2012, 3. Driver-side door lock only works with the key and alarm has to be set on passerger-side. New problem, while the car was in motion it cut off and I barely got to side of road. Battery is 2yrs old, I got it from Sears. Got it tested. Tested fine 640? Infiniti tells me its the wrong battery and won't go any futher with the diagnostic. What is the battery size for my truck? And I don't think the battery is the problem. Got any suggesting? Oh, I also have a problem with TPMS. Just got new tires 6 months ago.

bigb56
Car: 2008 Infiniti FX35 RWD

2008 with only 20K on the clock, slight bubble on the dash, power tailgate latch failed under warranty, visor clip broke. Still a great car. I don't like the feel of the brakes though, too much pedal travel just like my Highlander, makes it hard to do a smooth stop. I might see if that can be adjusted now that it is out of warranty and I will be paying for it, they said it was normal when I asked them about it while still under warranty.

wildthang
Car: FX-35 2005

I finally found out why my 2005 FX35 made a loud noise and then just stopped on me. It was my transmission value body plate going after my radiator leaked cooling and shorted the chip in the transmiission. I understand this has been quite a problem with 2005 thur 2014 Nissan's Pathfinders and a few other models as well. Cost $3000.00 to $5000.00. I bet there are other Infiniti models with the same problem out their but was not told what the problem is by the dealer. Let us know.

mwhq

2007 FX35 with 112K miles, purchased new and all maintenance by dealer at Infiniti recommended mileage.
replaced one rear wheel bearing 110K ($550)
replaced center console lid 40K miles ($500!)
Replaced bubbled dash under warranty 60K
2 windshields (gravel trucks)
Aligned 90K
tires at 25K, 80K
brakes and rotors a couple of times
new battery
Fluids changed a couple of times

Except for the wheel bearing, console lid and the dash, all the rest is routine maintenance/replacements. Infiniti dealer service is very good but expensive!

Project Super
Car: 2013 FX37

I have 5500 miles on my FX. The first problem I had I found when I was cleaning the car and the left rear fender seemed to have excessive in and out movement in it. I took it to the dealer and it was missing an inner body part which the dealer fixed. I then had a bubble in the grille, which the dealer fixed. I now have some sort of a rattle up front, like under the dash. When I take it to the car wash the passenger side mirror acts as if it's totally loose and flops around. When I get out and return it to its original position it locks in and seems fine. The only other problem I had was finding decent wheels.

SuperCoupe400
Car: Wife's: '03 G35 Sedan + '06 FX35 / Mine: '93 Lexus SC400 + '06 Lexus LS430

This thread is helpful. I'm about to purchase an '06 FX35 for my wife and was actually looking to see what the most common repairs are on these vehicles.

I bowed to the pressure of getting an extended warranty on my purchase of a pre-owned Lexus LS430 last year and doubt that I will ever need it. So naturally I wanted to see from others' experience if the FX would go the distance as well (without major repairs). She's got an older G35 now that we'll be trading in, so we are familiar with the brand.

silent_kreeper
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx

03 FX45.... Lazy door locks, leather slightly ripping on diver seat but not bad, Bose system pissing me off, and why did Infinity put such small brakes on these?

ron69

07 FX35 pass rear power door lock didn't work with the switch or key fob.Took it to the dealer and they wanted $479 to fix it. I found a repair kit on eBAy for 50 bucks and gave it a try. It works great and saved me over 400 bucks.Looks like a lot of peps have a lock issue with their FX . Here is the like http://www.ebay.com/itm/281372476211?ss ... 1555.l2649

dogburrito

FX35 rear drive and Sport package.

205,000 miles

replaced lazy door latches (4)
about to buy 3'rd set of rotors
rear struts hang the car a bit low, still functional but could use replacement.
camshaft sensor (bank 1) just failed
sometimes the trans will hesitate a second before engaging (after shifting from rev to drive)
oil cooler O-Ring
right rear wheel bearing

kpchicken
Car: In the Market for FX45

Which version is recommended, RWD or AWD?

jwgrahamjr
Car: 2005 FX35

2005 FX35
105K miles

Problems:

Replaced right front wheel bearing
Front struts replaced twice (left failed 700 miles after replacing)
Replaced radiator (plastic seams blew out)
Replaced fog lamp assembly (both)
Replaced steering wheel column motor
Replaced crankshaft sensor
Replaced rear hatch actuator
Replaced both valve covers + gaskets
Replaced PCV valve
Replaced washer reservoir (leaking, cracked)
Replaced bubbling dash
Replaced all TPMS sensors
Replaced map light and sunvisor bulbs twice
Air bag recall

Routine maintenance:

Brake pads
Air Filter
Belts
Changed all fluids every 30K
Synthetic Mobil-1 oil
Tires
New hoses at 65K
cabin filter every 12 months

Current issues not yet addressed:

Fog lamps not illuminating (not fuses or bulbs; maybe IPDM or BCM)
Burned oil smell at passenger cabin outside. VC gasket again or TPS gasket?
Intermittent tapping sound when idling (belt tensioner loose?)
Bose audio subwoofer dead
Rear passenger door actuator
Gurgling sound when accelerating at slow speed on driver's side cabin area, burped twice?
U1000 code intermittently every 6 months or so

slickhoosiers
Car: 2009 G37S Journey Sedan
2007 FX45

2007 FX45, 112k miles, owned since new.
- replaced LF wheel bearings 3x, been fine now for years, finally corrected the part I guess
- replaced nav DVD-ROM at 105k
- bubbling dash replaced (courtesy of Infiniti)
- lazy driver's door lock actuator - worse in hot weather, if the sun is on the driver's side
- driver's seat cracking on lower front and lower left side
- it doesn't like short runs on the engine. Typically if it is turned on and then off prior to reaching operating temps (like baking it out of the garage) the next engine start will puff a little oil smoke and a valve will rattle for ~30-60 seconds. I estimate short runs cause some oil to leak into the combustion chamber which is then burnt on the next start and the fact that the oil temp never rose it thing that causes oiling issues on a valve on the next start. My fix - about short runs, always let engine reach operating temp.

slickhoosiers
Car: 2009 G37S Journey Sedan
2007 FX45

I also replaced 1 TPMS sensor. I bought 4...thought they'd all be needing changed at about the same time. It has been 1 year and haven't had another failure yet.

FXDodger909
Car: 2006 Infiniti FX35

93k on a 2006 fx35 and it just started overheating as of last friday. I changed out the thermostat and Rad cap. the temp gage stays at a good level but my fans are works like if i had the AC on and i dont know why or what to do to fix it.

ndgo88
Car: 2003 FX45

2003 Fx45
275,643, no major issues normal wear and tear stuff brakes tires etc. Rotors, front wheel bearings replaced last summer. It's really been a great car. Some tears in the vinyl driver right side top of seat. I would purchase another but would not trade.

nosleep
Car: 2014 Qx80

2006 FX35 - 126K - No major issues whatsoever. I've changed all the belts, oil and brakes and that's it. I have an oil cooler ring I need to install to get rid of the occasional drop of oil on the garage floor, but that's it for mechanical. The interior though, is a different story. I have the tan interior and the drivers seat is split and cracked and the steering wheel is so worn, I need to replace them.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”