How many filters can I replace on my transmission?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Wax95
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

The title speaks for itself. Planning on D&F transmission fluid but just wasnt sure which filters I can replace on my 2013 nissan rogue.

Would appreciate the help guys!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Wax95
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Rogue One wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:17 am
I saw this video weeks back. I also asked in this forum cause when I ask for filters in stores, some stores tell me that filter/s aren’t serviceable in mine then again some stores told me that I have a sump filter which is shown on this vid then theres a pickup filter or sometimes called cartridge filter in other cars then theres the gasket which are also different in stores. I bought 2 gaskets from 2 diff stores one is for an 18 bolt then theres another with an extra bolthole on it (both of which I can return).

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The only one that's strictly "serviceable" is the one under the beehive, and unless your fluid is far gone enough to be mostly varnish, it should generally be left alone. CVT's don't generate "clutch soup" like regular A/T's because they have almost no clutch material. That filter's job is mainly to catch any fine metal shavings that get swept up by the front pump instead of gravitating into the pan, and in the course of changing it you can actually send some of that junk back into circulation. I recently found out that's the reason Nissan specifically advises not to change it when replacing a 2-port cooler with a 4-port under factory bulletins. If you have some inkling that your tranny has been abused, you'll do it a much bigger favor by dropping and cleaning the pan than messing with the beehive.

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:18 pm
The only one that's strictly "serviceable" is the one under the beehive, and unless your fluid is far gone enough to be mostly varnish, it should generally be left alone. CVT's don't generate "clutch soup" like regular A/T's because they have almost no clutch material. That filter's job is mainly to catch any fine metal shavings that get swept up by the front pump instead of gravitating into the pan, and in the course of changing it you can actually send some of that junk back into circulation. I recently found out that's the reason Nissan specifically advises not to change it when replacing a 2-port cooler with a 4-port under factory bulletins. If you have some inkling that your tranny has been abused, you'll do it a much bigger favor by dropping and cleaning the pan than messing with the beehive.
...BUT... If you're in there anyway it's OK to change it right? Mine was dark but had no metal in it.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

phmichel wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:50 pm
...BUT... If you're in there anyway it's OK to change it right? Mine was dark but had no metal in it.
I don't know of anyone who's changed it and had obvious problems, but please note the word "obvious". Many problems happen insidiously and the real culprit is never blamed, such as bad grounds causing repeated coil failures and then suddenly "disappearing" after a battery service with no one the wiser. I can only tell you what Nissan recommends and why.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

phmichel wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:50 pm
From everything I've read posted here in this forum and elsewhere online, changing the filter is not recommended. VStar is spot on with his assessment, and as your CVT isn't experiencing any issues, I'd err on the side of caution and leave well enough alone. Why risk invoking Murphy's Law? ;)

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

OCD can get ya. Thank god for being too lazy to remove the battery and all those wire connections. Or else I would've installed a transmission cooler, AND changed that teeny weeny filter. :bowrofl:

I’ll just stick to the drain & fills. :bigthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”