how low is too low?

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Exar-Kun wrote:
1. yes. but I havent seen a 16-way adjustable shock yet. maybe I ahvent been looking. my gripes are not with qulity sleeve and shock systems, they are with poorly engineered and constructed system, I did say that before. At the begninning I said all sleeves, but I corrected that, I needed to make the exception for good systems.

2. also, you could add that stuff, sure, but you'd end up with, in my opinion, is a 'tape-and-chewing-gum' solution to a problem of adjustbility. I still think a prefab coilover with all of that built in would be a better choice.

3. as far as engineering goes, most sleeve manufactureres dont put much reasearch into suspension dynamics(again, G.C. does, and makes good systems), much less spring rate-tuning. but moving on...

4. I dont think this is entirely true. a good fully adjustable system lets you adjust bound, rebound, and even spring tension by use of a secondary spring. true, you can get a good shock revalved, but chaning that on the fly would be hard to find without a prefab system, or access to a lot of tools.

Just a last few comments. I added numbers to the areas I am commenting on. I too lazy to copy and past each one. :)

1. Doesn't mean you can't find any. And not all fully adjustable systems have 16-way anyways.

2. It depends on how well someone puts it together. You could go as far as to weld the sleeves on, but since the heat could affect the bore and that would need to be checked and corrected if necessary, it would be quite burdensome considering that there are systems available for the 240. But there are cars out there that are raced that do not have much aftermarket support. I'd disagree with the tape and chewing gum comment. Just because a manufacturer makes it doesn't mean it's better than a shadetree mechanic's work. I see a lot of turbo headers out of small shops that are 10 times better then headers made by the big names.

3. I agree. Many are univerasal and may require modification to it to work well on a car, and I would not let any of these companies choose my spring rates for me. I'd imagine most of them are up to the task of holding up the weight of the car though. I doubt GC provides the spring with the kit, or if they do, they either ask you to choose one or help you to choose one.

4. Not all of the prefabbed kits offer all these adjustments either. Separate Compression and Rebound adjustments(external) are rare in any system. Usually they are coupled together in one adjustement.

You do bring up a lot of great features of good suspensions, but they have nothing to do with the sleeves themselves. I would totally agree that it would save a lot of headaches to just buy a prefabbed kit, considering it's availablility now and price. I personally like the GC Advanced design stuff, I'm sure there are comparable ones out there, but it's nice to have support that is more local to the states since most everything else is imported. But they are becoming more available and less are coming through backdoors, so more shops are able to support custom configurations within the states without too much hassle or cost.

willcheung
Car: Race, speed, drift

I AM HAPPY WITH MY EIBACH PROKIT 1.0 INCH REAR 1.2 INCH FRONT DROP SPRING. THE HEIGHT IS SO PECFECT THAT I NEVER SCRAPE ANYTHING ON THE GROUND, I CAN EVEN GO IN TO AUTOMATIC CAR WASH WITHOUT DAMAGE TO MY RIDE. THE FENDER GAP IS CLOSE BECAUSE I HAVE 17" RIMS WITH 225/45/17 TALL TIRES, AND I HAVE NO PROBLEM TO DO AN ALIGNMENT ON MY CAR, (DON'T HAVE TO USE CAMBER KIT).

ESPER

well i see a lot of people here on the boards who use the tanabe 2" drop springs, which i am going to order. and unfortunately i have to order the SHOCKS AFTER, becuase of monetary probolems, although i mihgt wait to install my springs until after i get some new shocks. but anyways, the reason is, i can get a good deal on the springs, and i hate the stock springs, they have been tuned for ride comfort, not stability!! Grrrr..

so what do u think of the tanabe's??

P.S. i also have the option video fetauring all silvia's, and believe me, they intervied these two famous drifters who drive 180's, and these guys daily drive/drift on 18's lowered AT LEAST 3 inches!! we are talking NO GAP, the wheels are TUCKED UNDER the body!! but its soo coo, and they are great drivers too!!

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

w00t. agreement.

maybe we should make a kit C-kwik:D

ESPER: most of those cars do use entire prefab/custom suspension setups, allowing for that drop. most non-drift cars dont need to sit that low, or run 18" wheels and tires, especially for racing purposes.

NISMO4U2NV
Car: MY CARS AND GIRLS...

C-Kwik wrote:Who says sleeves are bad? I won't comment on specific brands, but there is nothing wrong with sleeve type adjustable coilovers in that of themselves. As long as they sit on the shock/strut securely and allow the spring and shock to work correctly, you should see no problems with them. I would agree that shock will probably end up being a priority, especially since to get that low of a ride, you will need to use very stiff springs to keep the shocks from bottoming out internally. As such, stiff valving will be needed.

And springs have a LOT to do with the suspension. Yes, they in part determine ride-height, but also how much they move for a given weight load. Shocks control the speed in which the springs travel. Springs provide a resistance to weight. Shocks provide a resistance to movement. They do two different things but work together for a specific purpose. And one can not work effectively without the other.

And just so you guys know, Ground Control (A company many race teams go to for their suspension parts) sells a sleeve kit for the 240sx. It's actually made for race-use only.

Not that I don't think there are some less than quality sleeve kits out there, but to blatantly say that they all suck is pure ignorance.

Word, thats my man... LOL, I am planning on going with ground control, I have never heard anything negative about them .

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”