How long do I have (DTE)...

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
daltonvol
Car: 2014 Rogue SL (Premium Pkg)
Traded - 2013 Rogue SV (SL Package)
2011 Maxima S

Hello everyone, I've searched all the fuel/mileage threads I could find and not located this information. I've got a new 2013 Rogue (FWD SV with SL package) and am about to fill it up for the second time. I'm curious as to how long I've actually got when the low fuel warning comes on. Right now, it says I have 21 miles left, but the needle is still halfway between 1/4 and 0. What has been everyone's experience with this? I'm not wanting to get down to fumes, but I would like to know how long I have (miles or gallons) when the DTE reads ---

Thanks!

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

DTE itself is not very accurate because of the way it is calculated.

I believe it should say in the owners manual how much gas is left when the low fuel light comes on, I seem to recall it is somewhere around 1 - 1.5 gallons of gas left. My recommendation is obviously not to run it down that far but if you do assume you have a single gallon of gas left (and you'll have to estimate based on your planned driving how far that'll take you).

But again, you really shouldn't let it run that low.

ras_oscar

I don't know, since I have never run out of gas. However, I do know that below 20 miles the estimated range goes blank !!!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

ras_oscar wrote:I don't know, since I have never run out of gas. However, I do know that below 20 miles the estimated range goes blank !!!
It goes blank by design, because there's not enough gas to measure. In order to operate your Rogue will need at least 3 gallons of gas in the tank. The tank holds approximately 15-7/8 gallons (60 liters).

If at all possible, you should NEVER allow the gauge to drip below 1/4 tank. This subject has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum and on others. You run the risk of engine damage from running the tank dry. In Example: The lower the fuel level is the more room water has to evaporate out of the gasoline. This causes rust in the fuel tank and when you do run out of fuel you're running on all the nasty stuff that's collected at the bottom of the fuel tank.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/20 ... ostly.html

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

it also depends on how you drive. stop & go will use more gas. driving above 65 will too. its hard to estimate gas that moving around a lot, since there isnt much in there left. plus its hard to judge because idle time counts too. id say if it says 35miles left, it could be 20 if you drive erratic, or 40 if you are cruising on a flat highway

dont run your tank low because fuel helps lube the fuel pump. and fuel pump damage occurs quickly if it doesnt have enough fuel to lube the pump

daltonvol
2011 Maxima S

Got it...in my Murano there were times I'd go several miles past when it said there was nothing left (as much as 10-15 miles past). I think I'll take all y'alls advice and try to fill it up when I get to 1/4 - 1/8 of a tank left. Thanks!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

daltonvol wrote:Got it...in my Murano there were times I'd go several miles past when it said there was nothing left (as much as 10-15 miles past). I think I'll take all y'alls advice and try to fill it up when I get to 1/4 - 1/8 of a tank left. Thanks!
since every car has its own driving patterns and sensors everyone should do themselves a favor.

as soon as the light turns on, go to a gas station and FILL IT UP. see how much fuel went in, and you can tell how much was left since we have 15.9 gallon tanks. if our cars can get average about 20 miles per gallon, you can tell how much you had till it was really-really empty.

shyRogue13
Car: 2013 Rogue SV with premium package

@Rogue One and @ImStricken thanx for the tips on not letting the fuel level go too low. I didn't know that was a dangerous thing. Will keep in mind from now on.

followingnfront
Car: 2017 Maxima S

I still don't understand how on one of my first few fillups I drove into a gas station on E, and left having pumped 16.1 gallons into a 15.9 gallon tank WITHOUT topping off. I think the guy who designed the gas tank for the Rogue may have been drunk when he was doing his measurements. Its gotta be a 16.x gallon tank. :crazy:

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

I managed to put in a 16 gallon tank one time (on last block of fuel gauge)
I believe that either the rogue has a tank that is slightly larger (in case of emergency, running out of fuel)
or
The fuel pump is not accurate
And personally, I think both is true

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

How Accurate Are Gas Pumps? http://www.billshrink.com/blog/12085/ho ... gas-pumps/
It seems that our neighbors to the north have been gouged at the gas pumps, and not just by the record high fuel prices. A recent study by the Canadian government revealed that 6% of all gas pumps tested in Canada are inaccurate, with the consumers being overcharged at about two-thirds of the faulty pumps.

The testing classifies a pump as being inaccurate when there is a discrepancy of 0.5% or more over about five gallons of fuel. This small overcharge adds up to an extra $20 million each year, while the gas stations lose about $12 million annually to faulty pumps.

According to the 2002 census, there are 121,446 gas stations in the US. Depending on the location, the accuracy of fuel pumps is regulated by state or local laws, and in some areas, both governments have jurisdiction. There are many stories of inaccurate fuel pumps across the country, so we looked into what protections are in place for drivers when battling fraud at the pump.

In Arizona, where drivers buy about 2 billion gallons of fuel each year, the State Department of Weights and Measures inspects pumps about once every four years. They will send out an inspector more frequently only if a consumer lodges a complaint.
I'm fairly certain I've posted this before... The fuel system on your vehicle consists of more than the tank. In your user manual it clearly states the gas tank on the Rogue is APPROXIMATELY 15 AND 7/8 gallons. Please note the emphasis on APPROXIMATELY, as in you could very well get an extra 1/8 gallon (2 cups) of gas in there, probably the amount it would take to fill the filler tube that runs from the gas door to the tank.

Look, it's not shuttle mission critical that every single weight and measure be absolutely spot on exact on your vehicle. So you managed to squeeze an extra couple of ounces into your car, we're happy for you. It's like I always say "That, and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks."

I'll get off the soapbox now and go take my PMS meds!

followingnfront

The point is, and ive posted this before as well, when I had my Honda Accord with a 17.1 gallon tank, even when the needle was below the red and I filled up the tank, it NEVER read that I put 17.4 gallons of gas in! It never even read above 16.5....
With the Rogue, once it gets into the red, not even below it, im constantly seeing 15.x gallons put into the tank and i never top it off. Most systems are designed to stop the pump before the tank is overfilled and gas starts filling in the neck between the gas tank and gas cap. So to keep going it would have to click off and id have to top it off. But i dont. As soon as it clicks im done.
So in closing, either our gas gauge is way too accurate and doesnt leave any room for error or any reserve fuel in the tank while reading empty, or the TANK is bigger than Nissan states. Either way, this is the first car ive ever had that has allowed me to put more gas in than the tanks actual capacity without topping off!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

our needles are VERY inaccurate. personally i think they ignite the LOW light way to early.

anyone else ever notice how much longer the first dash lasts, almost twice as long as any other dash?

followingnfront

ImStricken wrote:our needles are VERY inaccurate. personally i think they ignite the LOW light way to early.

anyone else ever notice how much longer the first dash lasts, almost twice as long as any other dash?
Ive noticed that. But ive come to expect that from cars. My accord did the same. I think thats fairly common. Ive also noticed that in the Rogue, the sensor must be toward the back if the tank because yesterday i was registering just above 3/4 and then i parked on a driveway with an incline for a couple of hours and when I came back out to the car it read almost full. My Dads old Dodge Intrepid used to do that but my Accord didnt.

daltonvol
2011 Maxima S

ImStricken wrote:our needles are VERY inaccurate. personally i think they ignite the LOW light way to early.

Yeah, I've noticed that in all my vehicles...but it seems more pronounced in the Rogue. I get to nearly 100 miles on a tank before it moves from the "full" mark.

followingnfront

Case in point.... Today my gas gauge needle JUST went into the red, and was at the top of the red box (plenty of red left to go) and I pulled into the local gas station and filled up. Here is the result:

So what if I would've driven a couple more miles? Would I have been putting 16.x gallons of gas into my 15.9 gallon tank? Fuel systems aren't designed to allow you to fill past the capacity of the tank. So why does my Rogue seem like as soon as the fuel light comes on its damn near bone dry? I've never experienced this with a car before.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

very interesting, followingnfront. id love to know exactly how much it ACTUALLY holds safely.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

I have put more than 16 gallons in mine once before, don't remember if it was 16.1 or more but I remember it being 16.

rdub2k4
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

i shoulda filled up. My girl regularly drives until the -- marks.... Image

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

followingnfront wrote:Case in point.... Today my gas gauge needle JUST went into the red, and was at the top of the red box (plenty of red left to go) and I pulled into the local gas station and filled up. Here is the result:

So what if I would've driven a couple more miles? Would I have been putting 16.x gallons of gas into my 15.9 gallon tank? Fuel systems aren't designed to allow you to fill past the capacity of the tank. So why does my Rogue seem like as soon as the fuel light comes on its damn near bone dry? I've never experienced this with a car before.
WOW! $3.79 gallon. Most of the stations around here raised their prices a few days ago to gouge people for the holiday, so the price range is between $3.44 to $3.54 for reg. The exception is BJ's only charging $3.39 for reg.

followingnfront

Rogue One wrote:
followingnfront wrote:Case in point.... Today my gas gauge needle JUST went into the red, and was at the top of the red box (plenty of red left to go) and I pulled into the local gas station and filled up. Here is the result:

WOW! $3.79 gallon. Most of the stations around here raised their prices a few days ago to gouge people for the holiday, so the price range is between $3.44 to $3.54 for reg. The exception is BJ's only charging $3.39 for reg.
$3.44 is high for DE! I remember when NY and DE gas prices had a much bigger gap than $.30/gal! Damn...

Yeah believe it or not, $3.79 is reasonable for NY. Not bad at all actually lol.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Today I pulled into the gas station and mine read half a tank left. I filled it up and put in 11 gallons!! WTF That is the first time it has been so far off.

daltonvol
2011 Maxima S

I've had four fill ups so far:

14.44 Gal (15-20 miles driven after low fuel warning light) - May 6
14.70 Gal (15-20 miles driven after low fuel warning light) - May 14
14.42 Gal (Drove less than 5 miles after low fuel warning light) - May 19
14.22 Gal (Drove less than 5 miles after low fuel warning light) - May 24

On the first two (14.44 and 14.70) I didn't put in any more after the pump automatically stopped. On the last two (14.42 and 14.22) I continued fueling one time after the pump stopped (both gave me about another 0.5 gallon). I can't imagine being able to put in 16 gallons...
Last edited by daltonvol on Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qashqai

daltonvol wrote:I've had four fill ups so far:

14.44 Gal (15-20 miles driven after low fuel warning light)
14.70 Gal (15-20 miles driven after low fuel warning light)
14.42 Gal (Drove less than 5 miles after low fuel warning light)
14.22 Gal (Drove less than 5 miles after low fuel warning light)

On the first two (14.44 and 14.70) I didn't put in any more after the pump automatically stopped. On the last two (14.42 and 14.22) I continued fueling one time after the pump stopped (both gave me about another 0.5 gallon). I can't imagine being able to put in 16 gallons...
I don't understand. What are you trying to prove? Driving your car with the "low fuel warning light" is not a good idea. Your "scientific study" shows that the average gas capacity of your gas tank is 14.44 Gallons. OK? feeling better now? Please stop risking your Rogue.

daltonvol
2011 Maxima S

You must have missed my point...I was just adding commentary as to the capacity of the tank. After everyone's recommendations, I've stopped for gas as quickly as possible after the low fuel warning (the fill-ups l've listed in my previous post are in chronological order...see edited post for dates). Now you can rest better without having to worry about how much damage I'm doing to my car. Sheesh.

Qashqai

I understand you, but even driving under 1/4 of a tank is a risk. Don't drive with the "low fuel warning light" on. Our gas tank is "around" 14 gallons. The difference between 14.70 and 14.22 is little.

followingnfront

daltonvol wrote:I've had four fill ups so far:

14.44 Gal (15-20 miles driven after low fuel warning light) - May 6
14.70 Gal (15-20 miles driven after low fuel warning light) - May 14
14.42 Gal (Drove less than 5 miles after low fuel warning light) - May 19
14.22 Gal (Drove less than 5 miles after low fuel warning light) - May 24

That is exactly what I would expect. EXACTLY... What yours does is what I would consider normal operation based on my experience with every car I've ever had and can remember. Even in the red, there is supposed to still be fuel in the system. Instead, as soon as I hit the red, I'm putting almost 16 gallons in, without ever topping off. I don't get it.

rdub2k4
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

dunno man. I really need to fill up the rogue and see what I get.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Qashqai wrote:I understand you, but even driving under 1/4 of a tank is a risk. Don't drive with the "low fuel warning light" on. Our gas tank is "around" 14 gallons. The difference between 14.70 and 14.22 is little.
AGREED! This thread could go ad infinitum, and honestly I personally am missing the point, given there are some variables that will affect the outcome. That being said, the most I've ever put in my Rogue was 14.47 gal. I did this in my last Rogue (2011), but have no intention of trying this with my 2012.

If you're really dying to know how much gas you can put in, just let it run empty. Just remember, this still will only give you a rough idea on how far you might be able to go before running empty, it's never going to be exact.

followingnfront

You guys really are missing the point. Daltonvol was telling me his experience with his car and how even in the RED, he seems to have at least 1.5 gallons left in his tank, to contrast my experience, which seems to be that my Rogue is bone dry when I'm in the RED. 1.5 gallons is a big difference and mine is consistent and he states his is also... So how many other Rogues run dangerously low on fuel when in the RED like mine seems to do? Or better yet, is there an inconsistency with some of the fuel systems in the Rogues from the factory? There seem to be a couple of people who have experienced what I've experienced, while the norm seems to be that most can't come close to 16 gallons on a fill-up.

Is it really that hard to understand that putting almost 16 gallons of gas into a 16 gallon tank when the gauge JUST touched the red is not "normal", especially when others are reporting different results? Or is it more important to tell someone how to drive their car?

Return to “Rogue Forum”