How is she in the snow?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
NeedMoreCowbell

Just purchased a fully loaded venom red Rogue SL AWD with the VPP for $25410 +TTL ($27771 out the door in TaxMeToDeath NYS). Great buying experience, walked in at 6:00, walked out at 6:20 with a signed deal & receipt in hand. Delivery might take a few weeks but we're in no rush.

This will be my wife's car - we live in Buffalo, land of snow, and she commutes about 25 miles to work with our 10 month old. Very happy with have the AWD, but the stock tires on this car look to be regular all season car tires. Has anyone considered putting winter tires on? Since we got such a great deal I'm inclined to get a set of winter wheels/tires to ensure my girls are as safe as possible.

Thoughts?
Modified by NeedMoreCowbell at 4:34 PM 10/29/2007

rogueleader1
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

Congrats & good on you for thinking of the girls.

I don't know if anyones driven a Rogue in snow yet but I'd becurious to know myself.

btw, just a shot but based on your handle, are you a musician of anysort perhaps?

RL1

thenate1

I have purchased several sets of tires from http://www.tirerack.com and have always been super happy with their service and prices. I found a promising set of tires there: Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S (On-/Off Road All-Terrain)for 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWDSize: 225/60HR17Price: $115.00 (each)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...ing=S

Or in a studable tire: (I have owned a set of these (studded) and can tell you that they are very good on ice and snow)Winterforce M+S (Studdable Winter)for 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWDSize: 225/60SR17Price: $80.00 (each) Add Studding: $15 each http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...ing=S

jlsatt00

I have no idea, but I hear those of us in the KY, OH, ID are might get to find the weekend after next. They are predicting a huge snow storm. I doubt it will happen....but you never know!

EddNog
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Just a quick note on this: since the car has a TPMS system, one set of wheels/tires year-round will be more economical than you may initially think, because you'll either need to get a second set of TPMS sensors (at around $85 per corner!) for the winter wheel/tire package and then twice a year pay the dealership to re-sync the sensors to the car (every time you swap wheel/tire package) or have to pay for a wheel/tire shop to mount and balance tires to your wheels twice a year (if you plan to avoid the cost of new wheels/TPMS sensors by using the same set but swapping tires seasonally).

I find that, despite all the benefits of TPMS, it has its serious drawbacks for those of us that would prefer to have two sets of wheels/tires year-round due to the fact we live in four-seasons areas.

-Ed

TJP
Car: 2004 WRX

Hello,I am considering getting a Rogue Sl 2WD for my wife. We live in Michigan and can get significant amounts of snow. Does anybody have any experience with the 2WD in the snow? From looking at the specs it appears that the 2WD would do quite well with traction control and the VDC. She is a teacher and school is regularly canceled when the roads are bad. She drives about 32 miles to work each way so max mileage is a priority, not to mention the added savings. She currently drives a Mazda 3 5 door which does not have traction control or VDC and does not have too much trouble. Thanks for any help.Tyler

lozen13

Ok Ultimate test this week. Lots of Snow and blowing snow and the tempertures with windchill at minus 45 to minus 50. Rogue performing very well. Roads are brutal and I keep cruising along. had to stop quick on a icy patch and did very well

jsherm007
Car: 2008 Rogue

Agreed, mine did great here in MN today! I had to drive I-90 through a blizzard including 40+ mph wind gusts, with -11F temps, blowing snow and -38F wind chills...

and

then I stopped for some food

Reflecting on the drive, it probably wasn't a great idea to take pictures and drive in this kind of weather...

Modified by jsherm007 at 6:05 PM 1/29/2008
Modified by jsherm007 at 6:15 PM 1/29/2008

Rogueman
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD

talk about zero visibility.

Wannabe08
Car: 2010 SL AWD Wicked Black

She's great in the snow! I live in on a mountain in NW Montana and have to drive 30 miles to work (one way) every day. Our place is WAY off the beaten path and the road is steep and icy. We've had quite a bit of snow this year and a blizzard last weekend. It was -23 last week with 40mph wind.

I can't be happier with the way my SL AWD is doing. My previous vehicle was a Dodge Durango 4WD. I originally planned on putting studded tires on Iris (that's my Rogue's name), but have found that I simply don't need them.

I really like the paddles for easily gearing her down when headed down some of the more treacherous places. In addition to the snow and ice there are always a bunch of deer and elk that have a nasty habit of running out in front of cars.

The only problem I've had was trying to get up a friend's driveway that hadn't had any snow cleared from it. The snow had drifted about 16 inches deep and Iris was simply too low to the ground to make it through. That's was asking a lot from her to try, so I'm not disappointed.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Welcome Tyler!

Sorry I can't personally give you any reports on the 2wd handling the snow. But I can assure you it will be better than the Mazda she's currently driving.

Hopefully a couple other folks will chime in with some first hand experiences.

I can tell you that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the 2wd version. I think the better gas milage and lower price are worthwhile trades for the relatively few days a year you really have terrible road conditions.

I would say that a nice set of snow tires on a FWD car can nearly equal the weather handling of a standard AWD vehicle.

Anybody else have thoughts?

alnvilma
Car: 2007 Versa

I don't have that vehicle but here's what I do know:-My Versa does well w/o traction control (like your Mazda)-My ex Prius w/ traction control did great! I plowed through 4-5" untracked snow like it wasn't there.I will envy your 2wd SL purchase!Good luck

Cristen
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD - Venetian Red

I have the 2WD SL and live in snowy Ottawa, Canada (the snowbank in my driveway was taller than me!) and I drive 46km round trip each day.

The Rogue does okay in the snow but get snow tires. It makes a huge difference. I got snow tires on 3 weeks after getting my Rogue in December and it really was worth every penny. I feel very confident driving in the snow now that I have them on.

philipa_240sx

+1 for snow tires. Yes, it's an added expense but how much more is the cost of an accident? I drive +20,000km every winter and there are many days where I would never get home without snow tires on my Alty. If and when I get a Rogue, I will buy a set of snows for it without hesitation.

TJP
Car: 2004 WRX

Thanks for the help. Now I just need to talk her into the blue. Does anybody else have any experiences?Tyler

Return to “Rogue Forum”