How is it done?

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
2ndhb

I am trying to swap a 89 240sx engine into my 96 2wd hardbody. I'm having oil pan issues. Can anyone help?

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

This must be a clearance issue?

Have you tried swapping the oil pickup and oilpan form the truck's old engine to your new donor engine?

2ndhb

I put the truck oil pan and pick-up on it and the only other thing I'm worried about is the dipstick. (The dipstick on the truck motor is at the back and on the car motor its at the front)

Big-Bird

Is there a clearance issue with the original pan? Does the trucks old pan and sump tube allow for proper clearance of the crank journals? Just curious because this topic might come up again and I would like to know of any issues for future reference.

You may just have to add the 4 quarts of oil and take a reading from the engines oil tube. The stick will most likely need to be marked with new ID points for low and normal levels.

But try both dip sticks first and see which one gives you a better reading for the proper oil level. You may have to get an aftermarket dip stick that you can adjust and mark yourself.

Not sure if these are still available on the market or not but it's an option.

NismoD-21
Car: '95 Hardbody D-21, '87 Hardbody X-cab D-21

Is there a spot to put the truck's dipstick on the car's motor? I would figure that it would have the tapped holes from factory on every block. Yes, the pans have to be switched. I would go ahead and swap pickup's to so it's just like the trucks bottom end.

Big-Bird

You could get a new tube silver soldered or brazed (Silver solder is used to weld stainless tubes and brass heads on gas/acetylene torches) to the pan at the correct angle so you can determine the oil level but who knows if the weld or the tube could withstand the engine vibrations and not crack or break off? It would need some brackets to keep it secure.

Another option is to attach a Sight Glass on the deep part of the pan itself. These can be bought from Industrial Suppliers for heavy machinery.

To view sight glass types http://www.tedecoindustrial.com/high.htm

This last item is an external fluid level John Deere uses on its agricultural tractors. But you can look for hydraulic oil sight glasses too. Just trying to give you some options even if they sound a little "out there".

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”