How easy is an EGR valve replacement for a 1990 TT?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
oweenie223
Car: ???

Hello, I'm looking into buying a TT 300ZX that is in need of an EGR valve replacement, and I was wondering how difficult it would be to do, or if it's better to just wait for one without problems to pop up. I've tried searching around but I can't seem to really find anyone talking about their experiences doing it.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Its not an easy task and will require removing the small items around it. Forgive me for not remembering which items as its been ages since I've had an EGR on. IIRC the hardest part will be the tubes from the exhaust manifolds. Check the Z32 wiki for the procedure.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

To delete egr function is not too bad, disconnect, cut and plug tubing. Top manifold needs to come off and if first time will be a real bear. There are many threads on bypassing it.

To remove the actual egr valve is yet more difficult as the bolts holding them in are quite long and will hit the fire wall once you get them loosened. Some try to cut the bolt shorter once they have it loose.

Now to do an actual removal and replacement is about two levels above that. You can’t cut anything as you will need it for reinstall. The transmission need to come out to gain access from the bottom and be able to tilt the engine forward for longer bolt removal and install.

why do you think a egr needs replacement? Code or are the tubes full of gunk? Are you in an area that needs the egr to pass emissions? (If it’s a code, just the egr temp sensor may need replacement.)

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”