How does the side view mirror come apart?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
M37owner
Car: 2011 M37

My driver's side mirror has something wrong inside. The mirror head/assembly will not stay in full-out position - it wants to sit inward some and I can't adjust the mirror glass far enough out to see down the body line. I can use the "swing in" button to have the mirror come in fully but when I return the mirror the driving position it wont stay in the full out position. I suspect someone knocked the mirror in while in the parking lot. It feels like there is a spring-loaded detent inside the swing mechanism with a broken spring.

How do I remove the glass to get a look inside? Does the mirror glass just pry out?

It's a 2011 M37.

M37owner

I found two photos that show the mirror assembly. I think I can figure this out now.

Are the "two paws" mentioned the part at the bottom (where I added the "yellow lines")? It looks like the bottom snaps in and the top "hangers" then rotates out of the slots.

The bottom photo is more confusing. It looks like the screwdriver is prying at the top of the mirror assembly but I don't think the screwdriver can reach that far up. I'm not sure what that illustration is showing.

ImageM37 Mirror glass removal by , on Flickr

ImageM37 Mirror glass removal pic 2 by , on Flickr

EdBwoy

You got it. The 2nd illustration seems confusing because it's a bottom-looking up view.
Yes, push the screwdriver up the yellow highlighted spots until it hits a stop (the stops are close to the bottom), then swivel the glass out from the bottom.

About 1:45 into this video is how I've done it for all my Nissan vehicles. https://youtu.be/bXgDH966dPk

M37owner

I've been looking at some parts breakdowns trying to figure out which part is (most likely) bad, but I don't see any parts available except the entire motor-actuator assembly. Maybe that is as far as you can disassemble. The motor (actuator) is pretty expensive at $100.

The problem is that the left side mirror will not stay in the full out position. I can electrically fold the mirror in but when it goes back out, there is movement/slop (it doesn't sit in the full out position). It sort of falls into a more inward position which is not out enough for the mirror glass to adjust to so I can see the road and cars to me side and behind me. I am thinking someone hit the mirror while walking between cars in the parking lot.

If anyone else has had this happen - what item broke in the mirror assembly and what did you need to do/buy to fix it?

https://parts.infinitiusa.com/a/Infinit ... 963_1.html

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

M37owner wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:17 pm
I've been looking at some parts breakdowns trying to figure out which part is (most likely) bad, but I don't see any parts available except the entire motor-actuator assembly. Maybe that is as far as you can disassemble. The motor (actuator) is pretty expensive at $100.

The problem is that the left side mirror will not stay in the full out position. I can electrically fold the mirror in but when it goes back out, there is movement/slop (it doesn't sit in the full out position). It sort of falls into a more inward position which is not out enough for the mirror glass to adjust to so I can see the road and cars to me side and behind me. I am thinking someone hit the mirror while walking between cars in the parking lot.

If anyone else has had this happen - what item broke in the mirror assembly and what did you need to do/buy to fix it?

https://parts.infinitiusa.com/a/Infinit ... 963_1.html
I had this happen but it turns out I did not extend the mirror all the way out. Check this. If it's not allowed to unfold completely it will flop around.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”